Author Topic: Tacticool Timmy Wants To Shoot Long Range!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Tacticool Timmy Wants To Shoot Long Range!
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:09:18 AM »
I think many of us see this all too often on various other gun forums. Tacticool Timmy wants to learn how to shoot long range!

And it usually always start with, he wants to either build, or buy a rifle to shoot at 1000 yards or more. LOL! You ask them what is the longest distance they have shot at, or what is their experience with rifle shooting, or any other numerous questions that might arise.

I think many just don't appreciate the commitment it takes to shoot as such distances. myself, I am no expert on the subject, but do have at least some ideas as to what it takes to pull off accurate shots at long ranges, and it's not a skill that is just acquired by buying or building a rifle to shoot at such distances.

They see such BS on TV or in the movies and think it's as easy to buy a rifle, a scope and some ammo and start slinging lead long distances. Wow. I wished it were that easy. Long range is about consistency and every part of the equation needs to be consistent in order to achieve accurate shots at long ranges. And the person pulling the trigger is most usually the most inconsistent factor in the equation.

Then there is the question of whether that have range, or the place to shoot long distances. Seems like overkill to build, or buy a rifle, and to limit it to shooting at 100 yards or so, if that's all you have. Kind of like having a really fast Ferrari, and leaving it in the driveway!

It just makes me laugh when i see some of the replies to the questions. They just don't seem to get it!

So lets hear ya'll's stories on Tacticool Timmy!

Disclaimer: This post is more in humor than being totally serious!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Tacticool Timmy Wants To Shoot Long Range!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
Long range is easy.
I have 2 rifles Boomer and Blaster that always achieves a “first shot hit” at 1,000 yards plus. 
(As long as the target is bigger than a 2 acre lake, or you don’t care what the something is you hit, you’ll hit something.  Gravity guarantees it. )

In a more serious tone, it’s pretty easy to get close at long range if you don’t have to worry about the wind along the entire path to the target, your heartbeat and muscle twitches (which you can see in the scope at distance), vibrations, or anything else touching the rifle.

But you’re dead on, every error and side effect past 600 yards gets magnified big time. 

And on a very serious note at 1,000 yards, it is not always clear what is (way) behind the target, which you are also responsible for:  There is an angry lawyer and a blank check attached to every bullet you fire, particularly at long range.  The lawyer is not yours, the blank check is.  Don’t screw up.

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
"Hey, hey! You should go talk to Gilgondorin about it! He knows a lot about guns!"

Seems like those are the magic words are all that's needed to summon a Tactical Timmy out of the mists.

The guy I work with (temporarily, thank god) has been telling me he believes in Big Foot, and was actually asking for advice on what caliber I think he'd need to get to be able to safely take Big Foot down if he ever ran into it while out 'living off the grid'.

"You'd agree a .223 is enough to take down a Grizzly bear, right?"

"I think there needs to be a bigger round invented than a .22 Magnum. Maybe not as big as a .308 or a .270, but kinda in between."
". . . ."
"What kind of round do you think that would be?"
"It already exists. It's called a .223 dude."
"Oh! Yeah, you're right!"
*Gilgondorin mentally facepalming*

"What do you think if I put like a scope on my home defense AR?"
"Why would you be putting a scope designed for use at 'across the battlefield' distances on a weapon intended for use at 'across the living room' distances, possibly in the dark?"
"Huh. So you think I should put like iron sights on the side then?"
"Red dot sights are typically most often used for home defense, because irons aren't as easily visible in the dark."
"Yeah, guess you're right. I could go long range hunting with a red dot though, right?"

"I dunno dude, I can't seem to make up my mind which I want more, an AR or an AK."
"Depends on what you want it for."
"I wanna have something you can survive the end of the world with dude."
"Then you want an AK-47. They throw them off buildings and run over them with tanks to prove they're still reliable even after being abused."
"Awesome, that's it then! And then I could put a scope on it and be good to tag stuff at like 800 yards!"
"Uh... No. That's not how this works. For long-range accuracy, you'd be better off with an AR. Wouldn't be as rugged, but it would be more accurate."
*loading circle spinning*
*loading circle spinning*
*page slowly beginning to load*
"So... Which of the two of them would be good for both though?"

"I think I want an M-1 carbine for a SHTF rifle. You know about M-1's, right?"
*Gilgondorin silently remembers about the sad, sad story of Pvt. Siber Speer and sighs to himself, shaking his head*
"...Yeah. They're apparently not much more than a .357 Magnum with a longer neck."
"Dude! That sounds badass! I think I'm gonna get that instead! .357 is badass!"
"Not really. And wait a minute; didn't you say you wanted this for a disaster rifle? Do you have any idea how difficult finding .30 carbine is even right now compared to .223, which is literally everywhere in this country? Finding it in the middle of a disaster is going to be hell!"
"Oh, yeah, I didn't think about that. Huh."

That's just from conversations with this ONE guy, from this week alone.

"Your honor, I'm sorry about what happened, but I wasn't in my right mind anymore; it was temporary insanity -- I cannot be held legally responsible for it. You would've done it too if you had to listen to that type of malarkey day in and day out for 6 days straight."
"Good point. I find the defendant 'Not Guilty'!"

*EDIT*

The sad part is that basic common sense probably has cemented in his mind the mistaken belief that Gilgondorin is probably somehow possessed with the ghosts of Samuel Colt, Horace Smith, Dan Wesson, AND Oliver Winchester, or something.

I haven't a doubt in my mind that if I showed up to a barbecue at this guy's house, I'd be set upon on all sides with questions by a storm of his drinking buddies like flies on a fresh hatched fudge dragon.

"Hey man, I work with Gilgondorin here, he knows a lot about guns dude!"
"Really? Wow! Do you..."

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
I hit a mountain goat at 833 meters (910.97 yards) with a Romanian PSL

The cross wind was only 5.7 MPH

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
The thing that I find funny, or ironic, is that too many of these personality types think that such a skill can be bought. Au Contraire! Not so. This is a skill only to be obtained by time spent behind a rifle putting rounds down range.

My father many years ago, use to hang out with some fellows learning to shoot accurately, that were bench-rest shooters. I did even at a very early age, learn a few things myself. These guys were very anal about reloading, building rifles, and shooting. The put lots of time behind a rifle shooting and learning from that shooting.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
Yup. Its certainly a "skill" that cannot be bought,,
ANYONE can buy the "tools",, but not the "skill"
And sometimes the "skills" cannot be taught either.
No matter how hard they would try.

What amuses me is their approach to NOT having any skills in the 1st place.

CANT hit a deer at 100 yards with a 30-06.   :thinker:  Well,, its gotta be the gun.  :th_thicon_idea:
CANT figure out WHY they keep gut shooting, ass shooting, missing or wounding more animals than they would ever harvest @ 100 yards.    :thinker: Gotta be the gun.  :th_thicon_idea:
Cant ever find that deer they shot,,, and have no clue WHERE they might have even hit it. And it runs off of course,, to die a slow painful death from gange green later.  :thinker:  Gotta be the gun.  :th_thicon_idea:
Cant track it,,, not that theres is any real point,, but they lack tracking skills anyway,, so,,,  :thinker: No real point in even going to look if it didnt drop dead in its tracks,, which of course, IT NEVER DOES.  Gotta be the gun.

"OK Im tired of all this crap. I have not put a deer in the freezer in 5 years but my ammo bill is over $1000. Plus $4000 in useless over priced  hunting toys that so and so on you tube says I MUST have.. Enough is enough.

Goes to LGS,, buys a .338 magnum.  Lgs bore sights it.
Takes home,, cant hit a 4 foot square sheet of plywood @ 100 yards.
Takes back to LGS griping,, GOTTA BE THE GUN.
Lgs bore sights it AGAIN,,,  still OK. Dead on.
Takes back home,,, still CANT hit 4 foot plywood. GOTTA BE THE GUN.

CALLS ME.
I go down,, dig an old winter linned  Levi jacket out from behind seat. Lays it over should,, puts 3 rounds dead center in bull @ 100 yard same target.  :thinker:

I advise he take rifle right back where he bought it, take whatever they offer, and go buy a .243. for deer.

"BUT BUT,,, I got $1500 in this rifle. "  :scream3:

ME,, "Yup, and NONE of it matters, since you are flinching so bad you couldnt hit your Grandpaps barn over there 40 feet away. And this rifle is only going to make your flinching  WORSE.  " 
 Nooooooo. Thats NOT true. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT  !.:scream3: :bangheadonwall: :scream3: :bangheadonwall: :scream3:

"Me,, " Maybe so,, but At least I can hit the target. There is NOTHING WRONG with that rifle. ITS YOU "  :sick2:

Noooooooooo,,,,, :scream3: :bangheadonwall: :scream3: :bangheadonwall:

ME. " go get your old rifle back, or buy a .243 that dont kick,  and learn how to shoot. You DONT need a .338 mag for Whitetail deer anyway. "

:scream3: :scream3: :bangheadonwall: :scream3: :bangheadonwall: :scream3:

( OOPS,,, I offended you?  Sorry,, but Im not Willy Wonka. I dont know how to sugar coat shit,, and my PC filter just DONT work. In truth, never had one,, but he should know that by now. So this is kinda HIS fault for calling me. What did he expect ?  A bottle and a binky? )

Dumbazz keeps .338,, still goes hunting like a fool, still cant hit a damn thing, still bitching,,but now,, ITS  GOTTA BE THE AMMO.  :th_nuts:

Buys $75  per box custom ammo for Cape Buffalo hunting,,,   :facepalm: 

Still NEVER kills a deer,,, at least not one KNOWINGLY,  that he got to haul home and eat.

He does know what venison taste like,, since a guy brings some to campp sometimes. Oh,, and he got 2 hind quarters off a road kill one time.  :facepalm: ( told wife he got a deer,, his buddy actually sliced it up,,)  he tells wife it cost $40 to have deer processed,, in truth,, they drank that $40 plus another $50 ,all in ONES that were tucked into G strings.  :facepalm: .

Gets disgusted,, starts telling his wife all the time he is going hunting,, but actually only uses it as an excuse to go to camp,, or sit in the bar and drink all day,,, while telling FANTASTIC tall tales about his hunting prowess and how his .338 MAGNUM can hit a beer bottle @ 1000 yards. ( He seen a guy on you tube say so,,,, its gotta be true. )

After 10 years of hunting, and $25,000 dollars spent,, ( plus a new 4 x 4 pickup) The ONLY picture he even has of him and a deer was taken at Cabelas.

Meantime, back at the ranch. His wife is also disgusted. Her husbands hunting habit has cut into her shopping money big time. And he has NEVER actually killed anything,, at least not knowingly or intentionally,, but thats OK,, at least he is outta her hair while she is off boppin her new boyfriend.  :afraid4: 

So it all works out for everyone in the end.  :thumbsup1:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
Great story DCD! LMAO!  :th_thicon_funny: :rocknroll2:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:14:39 PM »
Great story DCD! LMAO!  :th_thicon_funny: :rocknroll2:

The 338 mag part is 100% true. And he has not talked to me since then,, 30 years ago..

He did use hunting as an excuse to go drinking, And his wife did leave him, and took everything he owned. She was a tramp anyway,, but then again, so was he.  :facepalm: :afraid4:

So like I said,, It all worked out for everyone.  :thumbsup1:

When I went to Colorado Elk hunting, every guy that had a big magnum would shoot their mouth off at me for bringing a little 270 win or 30-06.

"YOUR GOING TO LEARN THE HARD WAY".

Me, " yeah yeah,, whatever. "

EVERY year I went I tagged out with both Elk and muley. Never lost an animal,, cause every one I shot dropped in its tracks.

We always had 12 guys. About 6 were hunters, about 6 were drinkers.

7 day season. 6 went to town every night for the first 5 days. Came back plastered @ 4 am. We were up cooking breakfast for ourselves to go HUNTING. Then they would get pissed we didnt have their breakfast ready. We had a few rounds about that. Finally it got to the point they just wouldnt bother even coming to our camper.  :thumbsup1:

They wake up about 2 pm,,,, too late to go hunting now,, back to the bar.

Day 6,, they all panic & go hunting,, but they dont go far enough from camp to see anything.
day 7,,, repeat.

Day 8,, they start trying to BUY deer and elk the other 6 HUNTERS got.
NOPE,, sorry,, PISS OFF.  :th_thicon_funny:

The 6 hunters made a deal,, 1st one to see a LEGAL mule deer buck, takes one for the team and  smokes it for camp meat. ( the 5 others would make it right later giving him meat from ours.  )

We were eatin FRESH back straps with eggs and taters for breakfast ALL week.  :rocknroll2:
Fresh steaks & mushrooms & taters for supper.  :thumbsup1:  :rocknroll2:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »
The thing that I find funny, or ironic, is that too many of these personality types think that such a skill can be bought. Au Contraire! Not so. This is a skill only to be obtained by time spent behind a rifle putting rounds down range.

My father many years ago, use to hang out with some fellows learning to shoot accurately, that were bench-rest shooters. I did even at a very early age, learn a few things myself. These guys were very anal about reloading, building rifles, and shooting. The put lots of time behind a rifle shooting and learning from that shooting.

In the .50 club, there are some benchrest shooters that consistently shoot 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards, including the wind.  A few have shot 1/4 MOA.
But they've been shooting for long time, precision load their own, keeping the rounds in a temperature controlled oven until they put it in the chamber, and use a bench rest that weighs more than some of us, and takes about an hour to set up.  When they fire the gun using their sub-pound trigger, they only thing touching the gun is their trigger finger.  And about 20 other overt precision actions, and another dozen that aren't so obvious.
It's as much an art as science.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »

... at least he is outta her hair while she is off boppin her new boyfriend.  :afraid4: 

So it all works out for everyone in the end.  :thumbsup1:

He got a 4x4 out of the deal, so they both have a new bumper, :) which is probably cheaper than the divorce ...

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:17:51 AM »
I personally never hunted with any large groups, so I never ran across such "hunters" and i will use that term very loosely! But I have heard of such types over the years from friends and co-workers. Scary group of people to have running around the woods with loaded guns!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »
I remember one "Tactical Timmy" from quite a few years ago that he got pretty steamed up and all butt-hurt over my reply to his question. He was asking what brand of buck-shot was the most accurate at 50 yards, for home defensive purposes. Hmmm....To which I replied he might want to also seek out the services of a good attorney to have on retainer when he did engage some subjects at 50 yards, and claiming it's self defense!

IMO, if I were sitting on a jury, unless there were some very unusual, and mitigating circumstances, I'm not buying self defense at 50+ yards.  :th_nuts:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
And another one that I read by some self-proclaimed sharp-shooter some years ago, that had me laughing so hard.

This guy was making claims of shooting, and hitting, coyotes at over 600 yards, with his Mosin-Nagant rifle with open sights.

I replied to him, "Carlos Hathcock would be proud of such shooting!"  :th_nuts:
He responded with, "Carlos who?"
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »
And another one that I read by some self-proclaimed sharp-shooter some years ago, that had me laughing so hard.

This guy was making claims of shooting, and hitting, coyotes at over 600 yards, with his Mosin-Nagant rifle with open sights.

Next time try "Vasily Zaytsev", who actually used a Mosin to kill 200+ combatants.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »

YEAH,, you know,,,, E.J. Lands  buddy,,,,,,,  :thumbsup1:.

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:43 PM »

Next time try "Vasily Zaytsev", who actually used a Mosin to kill 200+ combatants.

Wasn't he the one the movie "Enemy at the Gates" was made about?
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 08:00:06 PM »

Edward James "Jim" Land. One of Carlos Hathcock's commanding officers in Vietnam. Also, served as Secretary of the NRA for many years.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:06 PM »

Edward James "Jim" Land. One of Carlos Hathcock's commanding officers in Vietnam. Also, served as Secretary of the NRA for many years.

:thumbsup1:   LMAO.  You coulda really screwed with that guy,,,, :th_thicon_funny:  had you not been laughing so hard.   :th_thicon_lol:

Mr Land was also a collector of 1903 Springfield rifles.  :thumbsup1:

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
I personally never hunted with any large groups, so I never ran across such "hunters" and i will use that term very loosely! But I have heard of such types over the years from friends and co-workers. Scary group of people to have running around the woods with loaded guns!

Colorado Fish & Game knew exactly what to do with them.

One year a group of ohio state troopers showed up. All arrogant, and all walking around open and conceal carrying their glucks from work.

The wardens went up and told them nicely, not only did they NOT have Colorado permits to carry,, that it was also TOTALLY illegal to carry an SD sidearm either while hunting, or even in the hunting area. PERIOD. No exceptions. They told them they better not see another sidearm while they were there hunting.

About 2 days later,, there they are AGAIN, all walking around carrying sidearms and popping off rounds in the hunting area target shooting. ( ALSO ILLEGAL ) .

We left and went hunting. Since we would ride our horses sometimes 8 to 10 miles in,, we had no clue what went on in camp that day.
But when we came back that evening, the troopers were all gone. Their tent, vehicles, everything was gone.
About 2 days later we bumped into a warden and my buddy ask what happened?

The warden said they warned them nice,, which they did, I seen that. But someone drove to town and complained they were right back at it, and shooting in camp.
The wardens went up, confiscated ALL their weapons,  and arrested them all.
They hauled them all into Craig.
The warden also said they fine each of them over $10,000 and sent them on their way,,,, HOME.
He said they didnt have to pay the fine, and Fish & Game wouldnt go after them for it,, but as long as the fine was outstanding,, they would NEVER,,, EVER,,,,  get a Colorado hunting or fishing license again,,,, Which WAS the whole point.  :thumbsup1:

He said thats how they permanently got rid of azzholes like that.  :thumbsup1:

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 11:37:35 PM »

Wasn't he the one the movie "Enemy at the Gates" was made about?

Yes sir. Some facts, but lots of literally license in that movie.