Author Topic: Micro Trucks.  (Read 680 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Micro Trucks.
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:02:32 AM »
I have seen the micro trucks, or as in Japan they are called a Kei Class vehicle, and am really kind of interested in getting one for using here on the farm. Been doing some reading and research, on the internet, and so far I like what I have seen. I had thought about getting a small truck like an S-10 or a Ranger or an older Mazda or Nissan, but I think the micro truck would be more versatile for what I want it for. I already have a lifted golf cart with a very small bed, and some have suggested an ATV. well I had an ATV, and got rid of it several years ago, and I really like my golf cart better. Lot's quieter too! And with the micro truck, it's bed is more versatile as it can be configured into a flatbed by removing the sides an the tailgate, and some even have a tilt or scissor mode on them, which means it would be easier to dump a load.

But I'd like to hear suggestions, advice and anything anyone knows about them, the good and the bad.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Micro Trucks.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
We lived overseas twice and looked at bringing cars back.

The good news:   It is easy IF the car is already certified to meet US emissions and safety standards.  And there are companies that will handle all the paperwork on both ends for less than the hassle you’ll go through. 

The bad news:
If the vehicle was designed to meet US standards, it’s less of a hassle. One of the showstoppers we ran into was wiring. Example: The us standard requires reduced / nontoxic smoke when the wire is in a fire.  Ok fine.  You have to dismantle the entire vehicle to put in a complaint harness, if it’s available.
That was a big one and there are 1/2 dozen others that are also problematic.

Our son bought a BMW last year in Germany “for US delivery”, which installed a few US instead of Euro components making it compliant.   The shipping was pretty easy.
Saying it won’t be used on public roads may raise eyebrows, but may be possible. You need to google for one of the international car transport companies and talk to them.
Good luck!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:05:25 AM »
I recall when the smaller p/u trucks 1st came out with 4 door "crew cabs" - I'd see them all over mexico, central and south America but they were yet to get to the U.S. and I thought "man oh man, those would sell like hotcakes back home" - and, sure enough.....

a vehicle that I really wanted when I lived in Hawaii was a Moke (or mini Moke) - they're all over the British Caribbean (non-US) Islands and both the Aussies and Kiwis enjoy having them

dreamed of a plan where I could load one in the belly of a DC 10 and fly it from Sydney back to HNL - then barge it over to the Big Island - buy an old Mazda and run it off a cliff into the ocean and use the plates and registration on the Moke - good plan but never followed thru with it - twould have been the perfect Island vehicle

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
Maybe you're just not looking in the right hole.

IIRC, those things are extremely common in some parts of the city, especially in the bigger industrial areas and event centers where they are basically turned into rolling building maintenance/custodial workshops.

Apparently, the legal work-around is to import and register them as ATV's instead of passenger vehicles -- the guys in the states that allow ATV's the use of public roads then get to use them on public roads anyway.

Specially importing one sounds like an awfully over-complicated and expensive process to me for what you get. My mom's offroading club builds their own 4x4's using scrap from other vehicles around custom-fabbed chasis; with some skill-building and the right tools you could probably learn to make your own mini and avoid the regulatory overhead if you never plan to go on public roads with it.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 10:37:18 AM »

Maybe you're just not looking in the right hole.

I don't know who the "you're" was for but if it was for me.....I'm talkin' about the '70s & the '80s, when the US was seriously gettin' into "road safety" crap - importing, without modifying to "US standards" was a no no

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 12:51:34 PM »
According to what I'm finding online, they are street legal in the state of Texas.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks

https://www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/heres-the-skinny-on-mini-truck-legalities-in-each-state/

So unless I'm misunderstanding this, it should be legal to operate on the road?

Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
My cousin bought two of these to replace his 4 wheelers. Not street legal. Max speed is around 60 mph. MSRP is around 16K.

Mahindra Roxor
DescriptionThe Mahindra Roxor is a 2-seater 4x4 off-road utility vehicle assembled by Mahindra Automotive North America since 2018. It is based on the Mahindra Thar M2DICR, a utility vehicle produced in India. Wikipedia
Engine: 2.5 L M2DICR turbo (diesel)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 2-speed low ratio manual transfer case
Curb weight: 1,376 kg (3,035 lb)
Manufacturer: Mahindra Automotive North America (MANA)
Model years: 2018-present
Power output: 62 hp (45 KW) @ 3200 rpm, 144 lbf (195 Nm) @1400 rpm
Assembly: Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
There's always the Tata Nano for $2500.  If you can get your knees inside it.

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:18 AM »
Most of the micro trucks I have been looking at online seem to be running about $2500 to $4000 in price. From all that I have read, most are really low mileage too and in very good condition. It seems only the best of them get imported in to the United States.

Now my main usage wouldn't require that it's street legal or registered. Main usage would be on the farm, and I think I could get past the legal aspects by putting a slow-moving vehicle placard on it, since it's top speed would be around 25 mph anyways. I'm about seven miles from town, and there would be only about a mile of highway that I would have travel and the rest would be black-top county roads.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
don't want a micro truck but the Wife wants one of the Kubota utility vehicles - nice - 4x4, 4 seater, tipable carrying bed - but oh so expensive

we've got an old Cub Cadet from which I've removed the cutting deck - it tows around a smallish 2 wheeled trailer and we use that for "poop detail" (or for runnin' down to the mailbox)

also have a Spartan zero-turn mower to which I can hook-up a larger trailer (for hauling things like downed tree branches, etc)

then have the 39hp Kubota tractor - very versatile for doing lots of jobs (a goodly number of implements to go with it)

then then the 2 Tundra pick-em-up trucks, a utility trailer and a 20' flatbed double axel trailer

so - got pretty much covered

this is what the Wife wants for runnin' around the property :

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »

this is what the Wife wants for runnin' around the property :

BIL has 2 of these, they're great!

Offline Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
This is what I'm looking at getting. 4wd, enclosed cab, all the lights and legal stuff. Heating and A/C, and even can add a radio or CD player if I want to.

https://www.grparts.net/Suzuki-Minitruck-2698-p/2698..htm
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:19:37 PM »

That works.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »

BIL has 2 of these, they're great!

yeah - would really "work" around the property but I've got too many motorized "things" now

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
I always liked micro vehicles. Probably comes from wanting a go kart so badly in my youth. I miss mini trucks, if they still made them I'd buy one. I borrowed my Dad's 1992 Dodge Ram 50 once & it was a blast to drive. Handled like a sports car & torquey enough to spin the tires but got 30 mpg. He paid a whopping $8,300 for it. Today's trucks are basically big sedans without trunk lids.
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile