Author Topic: Rim-Fire Target Rifle Project.  (Read 495 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Rim-Fire Target Rifle Project.
« on: March 16, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
I came across an idea for a rifle project that I want to do. I have been lacking a bolt action in 22WMR for some years now, and got an itch to build one. well, I also kind of want to build a budget rim-fire target rifle. so this would kind of scratch two itches so to speak.

the basic premise I started with, was bolt-action, in either 22LR, or 22WMR, single-shot, or repeater, set up with a scope, and if possible a heavy target barrel. I was going to consider new rifles that I could customize, or maybe even an older out of production rifle that I could build or modify, into what I envisioned in my mind.

A friend came through with what might be a decent candidate for the project. It is a Western Field Model 822M, or as manufactured by Mossberg, also the same as Model 640K Chuckster in 22WMR.

so this may be the start of a new gun project for me this coming year.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: Rim-Fire Target Rifle Project.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »
I came across an idea for a rifle project that I want to do. I have been lacking a bolt action in 22WMR for some years now, and got an itch to build one. well, I also kind of want to build a budget rim-fire target rifle. so this would kind of scratch two itches so to speak.

the basic premise I started with, was bolt-action, in either 22LR, or 22WMR, single-shot, or repeater, set up with a scope, and if possible a heavy target barrel. I was going to consider new rifles that I could customize, or maybe even an older out of production rifle that I could build or modify, into what I envisioned in my mind.

A friend came through with what might be a decent candidate for the project. It is a Western Field Model 822M, or as manufactured by Mossberg, also the same as Model 640K Chuckster in 22WMR.

so this may be the start of a new gun project for me this coming year.

I dont have either the skills or the tooling to build one. I wish I did.

So the closest I could get was buying CZ rifles.
A 455 Varmint w/ 16 X scope in 22 mag is deadly @ 250 yards.  :th_thicon_idea:
I love 22 mag. Been using it since the early 1970's,, and My Dad & Grandpap used one on the farm since the early 1950's.
An old Sears and Roebuck/Western Auto bolt action in 22 mag. ( I think I read Winchester built those for Sears)  We still have it, though it looks like a smooth bore. I think every member in the family used it.  :P
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »
DCD, the nice thing about this project is that it's a rim-fire, so there isn't the same pressure levels of a center-fire cartridge. I do have access to a lathe at my brother's shop that I can use for modifying an aftermarket barrel, along with having a friend that can chamber and set the headspace for the barrel for me.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »
DCD, the nice thing about this project is that it's a rim-fire, so there isn't the same pressure levels of a center-fire cartridge. I do have access to a lathe at my brother's shop that I can use for modifying an aftermarket barrel, along with having a friend that can chamber and set the headspace for the barrel for me.

My Brothers are BOTH machinist,, and some damn good ones at that.
I know darn well they could do it.
But I dont know WHY they've never had a bug to do stuff like that.

I enjoy wood working. And have my own little woodshop set up in a building.
But its a whole lot more forgiving on tolerances.  :th_thicon_idea:
My Uncle always said, " It not that a good carpenter does not make mistakes,, he just knows how to hide them".   :P

Thats really not an option on machine work. Especially on firearms.  :facepalm:
Im afraid I might be what machinist call a "HACK".  :afraid4:  :P
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »

My Brothers are BOTH machinist,, and some damn good ones at that.
I know darn well they could do it.
But I dont know WHY they've never had a bug to do stuff like that.

I enjoy wood working. And have my own little woodshop set up in a building.
But its a whole lot more forgiving on tolerances.  :th_thicon_idea:
My Uncle always said, " It not that a good carpenter does not make mistakes,, he just knows how to hide them".   :P

Thats really not an option on machine work. Especially on firearms.  :facepalm:
Im afraid I might be what machinist call a "HACK".  :afraid4:  :P

DCD, I don't consider myself a machinist, or a gunsmith by any stretch! I'm a tinkerer! What I do have is, the desire to try and do something regardless of my abilities or skills and to learn how to do them properly. And yes, I have made more than my fair share of mistakes over the years learning how to do things. But I also learned as much from my mistakes as from my accomplishments.

I had several people, (naysayers!) tell me that a 22 WMR would never be as accurate as a 22LR. Bull Hockey IMO! Does that mean I should not even attempt to give the project a try? NOPE! Maybe I can even prove them wrong. But this is just an idea and something I want to do strictly because I want to.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
I had several people, (naysayers!) tell me that a 22 WMR would never be as accurate as a 22LR. Bull Hockey IMO!

For someone to say that,, they obviously know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the 22 mag, and NEVER shot a good one.

One of the most accurate, lethal and under rated .22 caliber  rounds ever IMO. 

I found Bullet type does matter. Because I push it as far as I can.
To a 50 yard shooter, it just dont matter much.
But you start stepping out to 200 and 250, it does.

I found that hollow points tend to start wandering around after 150 yards.
But CCI TMJ ( total metal jacket) is the best factory ammo Ive found.

In a good rifle like the CZ 455 Varmint, 250 yard pop cans are easy. But I can also consistenly hit a  -2 inch target @ 200 yards. Its actually kinda easy.

Our 455 Americans are also deadly accurate. But with only a 9X scope, I dont have the magnification to see good enough to step out as far as the 16X on the Varmint model.  :th_thicon_idea:.

It sounds like a good build and a fun build. I cant wait to follow your progress.  :wave1:

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »
Well the naysayers were giving me all kinds of reasons, ( actually more like excuses!) of why the project was impractical. From that it would never be as accurate as 22LR, or that I could just buy one outright, and be done with it, or that I would have more money tied up than the rifle would ever be worth if I decided to sell it, to some others.

My favorite, buy a 17HMR! LMAO! I already have a Savage M93R17 that I did as budget target rifle about eight or nine years ago. BTDT! Also know what it can do if I do my part. 1" to 2" groups at 200 yards, on calm and windless day if I do my part.

I found it rather ironic, or strange, maybe even a bit confusing, that talking about a rifle project on a GUN FORUM, and supposed gun people actually were in essence, almost trying to talk me out of doing the project!  :th_nuts:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
I never got into the whole 17 hmr thing. And with several 22 mag rifles, and several 22 mag convertible revolvers, WHY would I ?
The question to me was , WHAT can the 17 hmr do, that the 22 mag has not ALREADY been doing BETTER for 60 years?   My answer,, NOTHING.

It cost more for ammo,, and I suspected when they 1st came out, that the candle would fizzle out pretty fast. To me it was basically a wild cat expensive round. I didnt think it would STAY.

About 3 years later, the used racks were full of 17 hrm rifles, and they cant seem to give them away here.
They were far to expensive for the boy scouts shooting clubs. Which would have been a huge market IF they could have gotten it to fly. But the ammo price was the real killer IMO. .

I also noticed during the obummer years, there was a severe shortage on 22lr and 22 mag. But there was ALWAYS 17 on the shelf.  :thinker:

That, and the used racks told me something.  :thinker:   :thumbsdown:

I know there are people who think its great, and thats fine. Good for them. :thumbsup1:

But Ive never heard of anyone who had much experience with the 22 mag praising them. And personally, I just never really seen the point.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 01:40:09 AM »
I never got into the whole 17 hmr thing. And with several 22 mag rifles, and several 22 mag convertible revolvers, WHY would I ?
The question to me was , WHAT can the 17 hmr do, that the 22 mag has not ALREADY been doing BETTER for 60 years?   My answer,, NOTHING.

It cost more for ammo,, and I suspected when they 1st came out, that the candle would fizzle out pretty fast. To me it was basically a wild cat expensive round. I didnt think it would STAY.

About 3 years later, the used racks were full of 17 hrm rifles, and they cant seem to give them away here.
They were far to expensive for the boy scouts shooting clubs. Which would have been a huge market IF they could have gotten it to fly. But the ammo price was the real killer IMO. .

I also noticed during the obummer years, there was a severe shortage on 22lr and 22 mag. But there was ALWAYS 17 on the shelf.  :thinker:

That, and the used racks told me something.  :thinker:   :thumbsdown:

I know there are people who think its great, and thats fine. Good for them. :thumbsup1:

But Ive never heard of anyone who had much experience with the 22 mag praising them. And personally, I just never really seen the point.

I got into the 17 HMR about the time they first came on the market. Did my research for a year or so, before I decided to by one. At he time, I was looking at replacing a bolt-action in 22 WMR, that I had sold a few years prior. My main focus and intent was shooting paper, not hunting anymore, so the 17 HMR was bit more appealing. I did some lurking on a few forums and liked what I was reading regarding the 17 HMR. There were guys putting stock actions and barrels in benchrest type stocks and huge scopes and getting some amazing groups out to 200 yards and beyond.

I did also look at the pro's and con's of the 17 HMR, vs. the 22 WMR, and figured I could learn to live with it, or end up trading or selling if I couldn't get the results I was expecting. That was about 2003 or 2004, IIRC, and to be honest, I have been well pleased with my Savage in 17HMR. I do realize it's limitations, and understand them and have learned to adjust for them. I didn't buy it or set it up for hunting, but I have taken a few coyotes at over 150 yards with mine.

Ammo prices weren't a huge concern for me either. I reload enough that even if it were significantly higher in price, what I reload and save money on, would surely offset any difference for myself. But around here, I was only spending about a $1 to $2 more for a box of 50 compared to the cost of 22 WMR, so it wasn't a big enough difference to matter in the long run for me.

To be frank, I don't have any real practical need for my 17 HMR, or this 22 Mag project rifle. This project can't be justified by me saying, I need it to fill a role that my 17 HNR can't sustain, but that just wouldn't be true. In all honesty, at the time, I didn't really NEED the Savage in 17 HMR either, and still really don't.

Like many things I do with guns, I'm a tinkerer, and this is just one of those projects that has been nagging on me for a couple of years now, and it's simply one of those labor of love kind of things.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.