Author Topic: Congrats, you won any AR you want! What make, model, optic & accessories  (Read 863 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Straight up question, IF you won any AR-15 of your choice, what would you pick?

make
model
optics
accessories

No limits, taxes :D , other restrictions. 

make
model
optics
accessories

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Congrats, you won any AR you want! What make, model, optic & accessories
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 01:01:32 PM »
I have owned many other 5.56 rifles in the past - besides ARs. Because, I like the piston design, and I like a side charging handle. That is why I loved the SCAR 16 so much. That was my favorite 5.56 rifle ever.

However, under your rules for the thread - I honestly would love one of those Ruger take-down ARs. I'd put an Aimpoint Micro on it, and Magpul forward and rear grips. I like putting a TRL1 on my rifles. If cost was not an issue, I'd get a TRL2 (with laser).

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
since I'm not too AR savvy I can only say how I had mine set up :

Colt Expanse M4 Carbine, 16" barrel, adjustable shoulder stock, 1:7 twist barrel

had the obnoxious "A frame" front sight removed, a new fore grip added for mounting goodies, have a downward mounted grip, scope sighted in @ 100yds, a light/red laser - laser sighted in at 15yds - and last but not least.....ta da.....the binary trigger (which was the only reason that I bought an AR)

this is what it looked like stock - will see if I've got a pic of how it's set up :

then

now
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:43:10 PM by Tango »
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »
I have an AR's in 5.56 and my new AR in.300 AAC Blackout will be here next week. My LGS had to order it directly from Remington and it appears to be a popular item. So i will have my short and intermediate distance calibers covered.
If I was to get another AR it would definitely be in .224 Valkyrie for long range. I saw an American Defense Model 2 carbine with 22" barrel and all M-LOK furniture in that caliber at a show awhile back that really interested me. It was close to $3K so I had to whistle when I walked away.
I would definitely buy one if the correct circumstances were in play. Take 4" off the barrel and add a Accushot Atlas bipod and a  Leupold VX 1 scope and i would be in business.

TXAZ: I really liked the scope you have or had on Boomer. That was a........?

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
Which ever model that cost the most so I could sell it and buy something that I really want.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »
I have an AR's in 5.56 and my new AR in.300 AAC Blackout will be here next week. My LGS had to order it directly from Remington and it appears to be a popular item. So i will have my short and intermediate distance calibers covered.
If I was to get another AR it would definitely be in .224 Valkyrie for long range. I saw an American Defense Model 2 carbine with 22" barrel and all M-LOK furniture in that caliber at a show awhile back that really interested me. It was close to $3K so I had to whistle when I walked away.
I would definitely buy one if the correct circumstances were in play. Take 4" off the barrel and add a Accushot Atlas bipod and a  Leupold VX 1 scope and i would be in business.

TXAZ: I really liked the scope you have or had on Boomer. That was a........?

T5Xi 5-25X
https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-5-25x56

https://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/5-25a_0_0.png

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:38:20 PM »
T5Xi 5-25X
https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-5-25x56

Ahem, Ahem, Lawd no wonder I liked it.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:43:48 PM »
Im  a little more realistic and plainer than most. I want proven, and functional.

It would be nice  to have an extra.

Windham Weaponry R20GVTA4S-7 Govt Rifle SA 223

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/93004/windham+weaponry+r20gvta4s-7+govt+rifle+sa+223+rem%2f556+nato
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline BWM243

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
I have the 2 AR that I always wanted Windham VEX-SS Varmint and Armalite M-15TM Target Rifle yes they cost some cash but both will shoot less than 1/2moa at 100yards Armalite has 20" match grade barrel and the Windham has a 20" 1/8 stainless steel Fluted barrel in 223 and the Armalite is a 5.56+45 has a 1/7 wylde chrome lined barrel

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
here's an informative AR article for anyone interested in learning more :

https://ar15nerd.com/best-ar-15-buying-guide/
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile

https://ar15nerd.com/best-ar-15-buying-guide/

2 inch groups at 100 yards.... 

Not sure how that on made it onto the list.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
If money were not a factor, probably something in the AR10 platform, in 260 Rem. or possibly 6.5 Creedmoor. Definitely higher end optics for long range shooting.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline BWM243

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
It would be jest like one,s that I all ready had Armalite 15A4TBM 223 or 5.56 OR Windham VEX-SS 223 only with a Bushnell 4.5+18+40 AR scope and a Tactical sport Bi pod and a brass catcher

Offline HRM

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
First year of production new/unfired condition Colt SP1.