Author Topic: where can i go to sell my firearm  (Read 508 times)

Offline Toolfreak

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
where can i go to sell my firearm
« on: February 24, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
I may try to sell a gun or two and I want to find a safe place to do a transaction, will a FFL let me do a transaction in their place or maybe a police station. I dont want anyone coming to my house and should I just sell to someone who has a CHL/LTC or not. I am looking for some suggestions since I have not sold any of my firearms before.Thanks,
Mike

Online busykngt

• Professional Target Hanger
  • Ex-Army (former cannon cocker)
    • View Profile
Re: where can i go to sell my firearm
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
GOA Lifemember/NRA Endowment member/TSRA/CMP

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:15:36 PM »
I have sold quite a few over the years. I always pick the place, I never let the buyer pick the meeting place. I also make sure that if there are 2 people, I only let one person sit in my car (the buyer, not his friend). The sale is always inside of my own car, and I usually pick a parking lot at a somewhat busy place. Like a McDonald's, or a Gander Mountain, or an Academy parking lot.

I always make a bill of sale. And, if they will not sign it I will not sell it to them. And on that bill of sale, I have my driver's license number and theirs.

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:59 PM »
Local gun shows is where I’ve sold guns before.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Toolfreak

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »
Thanks,  do you require the person you sell to have a CHL /LTC ?
Toolfreak

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »
All I required was payment in cash.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
I want to see a LTC as that’s my due diligence they are not a prohibited person. 

Online busykngt

• Ex-Army (former cannon cocker)
    • View Profile
where can i go to sell my firearm
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »
Many folks are adamant about NOT doing a signed ‘Bill of Sale’ for a private transaction.  I take the opposite approach; I want the buyer’s acknowledgement that I’ve passed the ownership of a certain serial numbered firearm to them.  A lot (most) of my firearms have been bought new - meaning their serial numbers can be traced directly to me.  Should something happen with that firearm at some point in the future - it’s recovered at the scene of a bank robbery or murder - I want the ability to show the cops:  “Hey(!), no use talking to me... go see this guy!”

There are some basic “bill of sale” formats/templates on the Internet - they don’t need to be anything fancy.  They just need to provide enough buyer/seller information to get the cops’ attention off you, should the results of the transaction ‘turn south’ at some future date.  Record their LTC and/or driver’s license info on the BOS.  If they’re not willing to sign a BOS, I’m not willing to sell it to them!
GOA Lifemember/NRA Endowment member/TSRA/CMP

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »
Usually when I ask to see their DL, so I can write the # down ... If a person has a CHL, they always tell me and show it to me.

I had taken it for granted after a while, because no one refused to sign a bill of sale. Then, I went to one sale, and the guy refused. So, I did not sell it. Ever since then, I make sure to work that out via email before we even meet. So, no one's time is wasted. VERY, VERY rarely do I have someone decline because of that.

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »
Many folks are adamant about NOT doing a signed ‘Bill of Sale’ for a private transaction.  I take the opposite approach; I want the buyer’s acknowledgement that I’ve passed the ownership of a certain serial numbered firearm to them.  ...

BIN-GO!

(3 months later:  COP KNOCK at your door!!!  Hi officer, I'm sorry to hear the gun I purchased was used in a crime, but here's a copy of the Bill of Sale from a few months ago.   Goodbye!" )

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »
That is why I do them - exactly. And, why I get a DL or CHL # on it. And, I have that person sign 2 copies. One for both of us

Offline Axxe55

• Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 12:45:20 AM »
Unless, the buyer is willing to do a bill of sale, with a DL or CHL number on the bill of sale, nope, no sale.

The exception is if I know that person very well, such as close friend or family member that is well known to me, then I will sell without a bill of sale.

My other exception is, my favored one for people I don't know, is to use my gun store's consignment sales and let them handle the paperwork for a small transaction fee, and I never even have to deal with the customer. Just go back later and pick up my portion of the money.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."

Online Shield45

• Has Trigger Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
I just tend to keep um after I buy um.
Easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
Easier.

No fun  :th_thicon_funny:

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 07:41:21 AM »
I normally don't ask for ID or give ID. But if for any reason I think the buyer may not qualify to legally own a firearm or that they may use it for illegal reasons I won't sell.
Nothing more than that is required by law.
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Online Shield45

• Has Trigger Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 08:03:00 AM »
Easier.

No fun  :th_thicon_funny:
I know right.
I just tend to TRY not to buy ones I dont like.
So far Ive been ok.
I did a couple yrs ago trade one with cash as part of a deal for a motorcycle. But the seller was a buddy and we wrote a receipt with vin and sn with a copy for us both.

Offline Axxe55

• Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »
Easier.

Over the last ten years or so, I have become more selective in the guns I do buy, more with the plan on keeping them long term, and not selling them. Occasionally one gets through, that doesn't please me, or meets my expectations, and it has to find a new home!
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."