Author Topic: mystrery 8mm ammo  (Read 640 times)

Offline JAR

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
mystrery 8mm ammo
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
I just got a totally mixed bag of 120 rounds of 8mm "Mauser" ammo. It's all military, mixed head stamps, and old. 24 of the rounds are very different from the rest. The bullets, themselves are silver, like the Swiss cupro-nickle jacket rounds I have, but they are magnetic. The head stamp is simple, but curious. The rest of the ammo looks quite normal, and although I have not figured out who made them (that is coming later), these totally intrigued me. What do you think?

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: mystrery 8mm ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »
 :this_thread_is_worthless_with

I think we need pictures.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
Beware the Turkish surplus 8MM. You'll recognize it by the head stamp, which features the star and crescent moon of Islam:

http://www.milsurps.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25962&d=1313445324

https://giga.joesalter.com/34608/34608-04.jpg

It's some of the crappiest ammo I've ever seen in any caliber of any gun I've ever shot; the pre-war and wartime production ammo is without a doubt the worst.

It shoots pretty dirty; the added fouling seems to come from the inordinately high amount of smoke for a smokeless powder it generates. The smoke also smells kinda bad compared to other powders when it burns too.

The 'metal' used to create the cases is unlike anything else I've ever seen -- I removed some from the cheap cloth bandoleers they had been stored in likely since they first left the factory. The cases turned from the usual brassy shine to a sickly looking tan color within an hour or so; by the end of the next day, some of the most-handled ones had oxidized enough to form a weird, oldish-looking patina.

Whatever soup can metal they used to make the cartridges is also very soft, and extremely brittle -- if you find any surplus Turk mixed in with your lot, I would advise checking to see if the cases themselves will safely make it through the firing process; of the 770 rounds I bought, about 50-60 of them had to be discarded because I noticed the bullet caused the necks of the cases to crack just with the application of lateral finger pressure. Grasp the slug with your fingers, and try and wiggle it around; it shouldn't take much to crack the neck of a faulty or improperly heat treated case, and in one instance I was able to make the case split to the bottle neck. Additionally, verify all the primers are seated to the correct depth.

The assembly process quality control was nonexistent. While you are doing the crack test, you may also find that some of the neck crimps were so light that although the case neck may not crack, you still will be able to push the bullet into the case or pull/wiggle it completely free just with finger pressure alone.

Finally, although all old surplus ammo is corrosive, be extra careful to clean your gun according to corrosive ammo best practices to keep this crap from turning a good mirror bore into a sewer pipe from the 1890's.

It's usually much cheaper than most other types of ammo, and for good reason.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »
Yea Turkish ammo does suck!!

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
I have some (800+-) Yugo 8mm ammo, itís preformed great with my rifles. I was hoping that you had some 8mm Nambo ammo! I have a Japanese 1944 Nambo that I would like to shoot one day.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:01 PM »
Beware the Turkish surplus 8MM. You'll recognize it by the head stamp, which features the star and crescent moon of Islam:

http://www.milsurps.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25962&d=1313445324

https://giga.joesalter.com/34608/34608-04.jpg

It's some of the crappiest ammo I've ever seen in any caliber of any gun I've ever shot; the pre-war and wartime production ammo is without a doubt the worst.

It shoots pretty dirty; the added fouling seems to come from the inordinately high amount of smoke for a smokeless powder it generates. The smoke also smells kinda bad compared to other powders when it burns too.

The 'metal' used to create the cases is unlike anything else I've ever seen -- I removed some from the cheap cloth bandoleers they had been stored in likely since they first left the factory. The cases turned from the usual brassy shine to a sickly looking tan color within an hour or so; by the end of the next day, some of the most-handled ones had oxidized enough to form a weird, oldish-looking patina.

Whatever soup can metal they used to make the cartridges is also very soft, and extremely brittle -- if you find any surplus Turk mixed in with your lot, I would advise checking to see if the cases themselves will safely make it through the firing process; of the 770 rounds I bought, about 50-60 of them had to be discarded because I noticed the bullet caused the necks of the cases to crack just with the application of lateral finger pressure. Grasp the slug with your fingers, and try and wiggle it around; it shouldn't take much to crack the neck of a faulty or improperly heat treated case, and in one instance I was able to make the case split to the bottle neck. Additionally, verify all the primers are seated to the correct depth.

The assembly process quality control was nonexistent. While you are doing the crack test, you may also find that some of the neck crimps were so light that although the case neck may not crack, you still will be able to push the bullet into the case or pull/wiggle it completely free just with finger pressure alone.

Finally, although all old surplus ammo is corrosive, be extra careful to clean your gun according to corrosive ammo best practices to keep this crap from turning a good mirror bore into a sewer pipe from the 1890's.

It's usually much cheaper than most other types of ammo, and for good reason.

GREAT INFO. Love it.  :thumbsup1:

My dad shot a bunch of corrosive military ammo in a 30-06 he had. After some neglect cleaning the barrel,, in a couple years it looked like a smooth bore.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
I have some (800+-) Yugo 8mm ammo, itís preformed great with my rifles. I was hoping that you had some 8mm Nambo ammo! I have a Japanese 1944 Nambo that I would like to shoot one day.

https://shop.ammo-one1.com/8mm-Japanese-Nambu-Box-of-50-Close-Out-All-Sales-Final-PB8mmNambuOneBox50FMJ83Grain.htm

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 06:19:31 AM »

https://shop.ammo-one1.com/8mm-Japanese-Nambu-Box-of-50-Close-Out-All-Sales-Final-PB8mmNambuOneBox50FMJ83Grain.htm

Thanks for the link! All of the sites Iíve seen that even listed 8mm Nambo were always sold out.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776