Author Topic: ..long time - no shoot, so today..  (Read 407 times)

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
..long time - no shoot, so today..
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
I bit the bullet and made the 120mi r/t to the Top Shot indoor shooting range in Longview this morning

took the Coonan .357mag (my favorite shooter) and my newly acquired 1938 P08 0mm German Luger

shot both at 7 yds, then moved to 10 yds and finished at 15 yda

almost everything was low and to the left - could have played around with my trigger finger location but at this point in my "shooting career" I don't find that necessary

shot 115gr FMJ 9mm Perfecta in the Luger and 158gr .357mag semi jacketed HP Monarch in the Coonan

I did notice that the 9mm rounds appeared to have done a bit of tumbling (judging from the ragged holes in the paper target) - I did have some 124gr 9mm with me and I should have shot some of that to compare, but didn't

the Monarch .357mag entrance holes were perfectly round - enjoyed getting out and shooting

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: ..long time - no shoot, so today..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:09:05 PM »
I also like the way your Coonan shoots. :th_thicon_idea: Always good to get out and get some range time.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »
had 1 other shooter on the range - he had a couple of rifles that he was zeroing scopes on

he, as "someone" usually does when I shoot the Coonazz said something like "what the hell kind of hand cannon are you shooting over there.....?"

it do be loud   :th_thicon_idea:

now tomorrow I've gotta drive about the same distance but in the opposite direction (VA Hearing re-evaluation)- TXAZ's neck'o'the'woods, Garland
(but there's a gunshop/outdoor range in Wills Point that I might stop and take a gander of on the way home)

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »

I did notice that the 9mm rounds appeared to have done a bit of tumbling (judging from the ragged holes in the paper target) - I did have some 124gr 9mm with me and I should have shot some of that to compare, but didn't

If no backer on the paper targets I wouldn't worry about it.

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
thanks but there is no worry - was just curious about the 9mm round holes being "ragged" while the .357 ones weren't

I do have a question for "someone" tho.....

9mm for instance - come in 115, 124 and 147 grain bullets.....do the manufacturers use a "different" powder charge for the different bullet weights ?