Author Topic: Standard Manufacturing VOLLEYFIRE Double Barrel Pistol in .22 WMR  (Read 602 times)

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
I like innovative firearms, revolvers and the .22 magnum round but this one.....I don't know. Would like to shoot it though.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/04/standard-manufacturing-volleyfire/
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Manufacturing VOLLEYFIRE Double Barrel Pistol in .22 WMR
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
can you say "ooooog-ly" ? (he says while trying to figure out how the cylinder lines up with the barrels, but then, really doesn't care..)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »

I started using 22 mag back in the 1970's, for everything from hunting to dropping cows and pigs for slaughter. It was a mainstay on the farm for everything.
I have several rifles and pistols. My wife even has a Ruger LCR 22 mag for an additional conceal carry.

I was never a 22 lr guy after I seen the difference. We had neighbors trying to kill  pigs with 22 lrs and it was ugly. The 22 mag was one and done.
The 22 mag has 2 or 3 times the lethal range and  awesome penetration. Is fast, flat, and deadly accurate.

In the late 1980's I seen a 225+ lb body builder type charging a guy to attack him, get shot square in the chest, and it not only stopped his forward momentum, it dropped him like a bad habit. All he could do after that was lay on the ground crying like a baby until the ambulance dragged him off. I know he was in the hospital for about a month, and seen him afterwards still gimping around. ( any consolation, he deserved it as he was violently assaulting random people, and just decided to attack the wrong guy)

My CZ 455 varmint can drive tacks @ 200 +yards.  I shoot pop cans @ 250 easily.

The 22 mag penetrates ballistic gel deeper than a standard .38, and can zip right through most kevlar.

So it does have a use and place for people who cant handle recoil in their SD sidearm.
I know after seeing 40+ years of the wound channels and penetration it has, I certainly would NOT want shot with it. The 22 mag is certainly a lethal little round.

This comment really told me alot,, about the designers and company reps.
They are obviously giving advice on something they know little about,, which is NEVER good.

Interestingly, the company suggests combining the standard ammunition with birdshot loads so that “each pull of the trigger will deliver an incredible combination of firepower and very light recoil“. What do you think about it?

I use 22 mag birdshot around the house outside alot on red squirrels, starlings, pest and such.
While it does really good from a 6.5 barrel Single Six out to 25 yards, if you hit ANYTHING hard, including tree bark,, the bb's will bounce right back at you. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses when using it. I have been hit several times with the birdshot.
Advising someone to use it for SD just to tame recoil is just plain irresponsible nonsense from the mouth of a dummy IMO.

While my wife is VERY recoil sensitive, her LCR 22 mag does not have much recoil at all. Its all NOISE.
And thats using CCI 1875+ fps  ammo.

It was always my opinion that if someone can shoot a 22 lr pistol, then they can certainly shoot a 22 mag pistol. People always seem to confuse the 22 mags extremely loud sonic crack with recoil.

After my wife got over the noise problem, she absolutely loves it. And because of the LCR short barrel, its a little bit of a  fire breather with hot ammo, but very manageable recoil wise. I intentionally trained her on a Single six, 1st on 22lr, then 22 mag until she got used to it. The little LCR 22 mag is now her favorite revolver. So it was a great trainer, but even with a Cz Rami & Sig 938, she still uses it.

The double shot seems like a dumb idea.   :th_nuts:
The lack of a trigger guard even dumber.  :facepalm:

This does not seem very well thought out.

A sig 238/938, or CZ Rami makes a whole lot more sense to me. The Sig 938 has very little felt recoil, Probably the least felt in any sub compact 9 Ive ever shot. Even better than the Rami IMO. But  that also tells me the Sig 238 should be really tame on recoil. 

If its a recoil issue, then just buy an LCR 22 mag..

My friend had a 22 mag derringer. He ask me one day at work if I had any 22 mag ammo in my truck, and I said sure, in the glove box, help yourself. I was busy doing something and DIDNT know what he was doing. He just bought the derringer & He loaded up the little derringer with CCI maxi mag + V ( 2200+ fps) and I looked over right when he pulled the trigger. It blew fire out so bad he damn near dropped it. I stopped him and told him he better get some winchester 1200 fps ammo for that little derringer. I was afraid he might blow the thing up.   :afraid4:

But even a 22 mag derringer seems like a better idea than this revolver.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »
Nope not interested.

For $369, I’d rather just buy more 9mm ammo.
And, that trigger guard might tend to get caught if I pocket carry.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:25:11 AM by TXAZ »

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:51:50 PM »
Nope not interested.

For $369, I’d rather just buy more 9mm ammo.
And, I hat trigger guard might tend to get caught if I pocket carry.

I noticed they DIDNT mention the trigger pull weight.
Two finger trigger + hammerless + rimfire =    tells me its probably pretty darn stiff.

And Im sure with a double movement of the cylinder, how the trigger is set, also a pretty Loooonnnnnggggggggg pull.  :facepalm:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
 I understand that rim fire hammers need that extra oomph but the LCR .22 mag was a little to heavy for this old dude to get any decent follow up shots. I do have the PMR and CMR 30 which are great shooters. Fire breathers for sure and dead accurate.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »
I understand that rim fire hammers need that extra oomph but the LCR .22 mag was a little to heavy for this old dude to get any decent follow up shots. I do have the PMR and CMR 30 which are great shooters. Fire breathers for sure and dead accurate.
:thumbsup1:
I almost bought one of those PMR 30's, and when I was set to, couldnt find one, It eventually went  on the bucket list. Kinda glad in hindsight I didnt at that time. ( 2010) They was brand new and had some problems that have since been worked out.

My friend who had the 22 mag derringer, got one used. And it was a jammomatic. I dont know if he ever did get it figured out,, but I know the early ones had that problem, and were very ammo picky. Im not sure WHAT the problem in his was. I think someone pawned it off on him knowing it had a problem.  :facepalm:
I do know they figured it out in later versions.
That auto was very appealing for several reasons.
30 rounds of deadly accurate ammo, at long range, in a pistol. Thats alot of fire power.
I wanted one for a trail gun if it could hold an accuracy candle to a single six.

There was a couple reasons nobody ever dabbled in a 22 mag auto.
The length of the cartridge was part of it.
The uneven brass/ cartridge expansion was another problem.
22 Rimfire ammo was not know for tight tolerences. 

CZ seemed to figure it out on their 22 mag auto 512 rifle, as its reported to run fine too.

-----------------
My wifes LCR 22 mag  had a pretty stiff gritty trigger also.
It did eventually smooth out and lighten up a bit , to where its pretty decent now.
Like you, I cant do very well with it. Im used to 4 lb smooth triggers, ( Im a spoiled trigger snob  :P )  but she does rather well with it.

I dry fired it about 400 times while soaked in WD40. That REALLY helped. :th_thicon_idea:

I generally do that with all my pistols. 4 to 500 seems to be the magic number to get a nice smooth DA trigger.  :th_thicon_idea:

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »
The first edition of PMR 30 (2010 through 2014) were pretty ammo sensitive and had keyhole issues. Mine is a 2nd edition 2015 manufacture. Kel Tec provides a in box warning about what ammo manufactures to avoid but I've run everything through it from Armscor to Winchester w/o a hiccup. I fitted mine with a IProtec light and Burris Fastfire III red dot. When I go with friends to the range it's the most requested firearm to bring along. It's a fire breather and one loud SOB. Accurate too.
Toussaint Louverture

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 11:18:16 PM »
The first edition of PMR 30 (2010 through 2014) were pretty ammo sensitive and had keyhole issues. Mine is a 2nd edition 2015 manufacture. Kel Tec provides a in box warning about what ammo manufactures to avoid but I've run everything through it from Armscor to Winchester w/o a hiccup. I fitted mine with a IProtec light and Burris Fastfire III red dot. When I go with friends to the range it's the most requested firearm to bring along. It's a fire breather and one loud SOB. Accurate too.

Do they have the date of MFG stamped on them somewhere a fella could look and tell the year built if I ran across one?

Online Shield45

• Mail Orders Gun Supplies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 05:53:41 AM »
AH. NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 11:23:07 AM »
DCD327: Just going by what the manager of my LGS told me and I trust his knowledge on these type of things. I do know that the second generation PMR 30's have a non fluted barrel. Mine is non fluted. I know starting in '11 or '12 Kel Tec began replacing the Generation 1 barrels free of charge. Don't know if they still do but I would guess probably so. No FFL needed for a barrel swap.
I've had five Kel Tec's in the last eight years but never had to deal with their customer service. Their PLR 16 was a jamomatic but I sold it with full disclosure to a young man that begged me to sell it to him.
Toussaint Louverture

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »
Good to know what to look for. Thanks.  :thumbsup1:

I always suspected the chambers were probably too tight. Thats a delicate balance to dance around for function and accuracy. Uneven brass expansion compounds the problem 10 fold. They obviously figured it out whatever the case..  :th_thicon_idea: