Author Topic: Periodically monitoring a holstered side arm.  (Read 376 times)

Offline Jerry1960

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Periodically monitoring a holstered side arm.
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:30 PM »
Hello. Police officers often check or confirm location of their hand gun via contact with their elbow, forearm or hand. Is that called indexing? Example can be seen if you search Youtube for 'OFFICER DOMINGUEZ (GETS OWNED) 1ST AMENDMENT AUDIT FAIL'.  Admittedly the man filming is off - example Google searches and info: 'mexican padilla arrested', 'Mexican-Padilla-SAPD-Prue.pdf'.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Periodically monitoring a holstered side arm.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »
 :thinker:
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:43:59 AM »
If they do, then I'd be willing to bet it's to make sure they didn't f*** around and do something like leave that s*** on the toilet paper dispenser in a bathroom after hitting the can, as has happened before (by my guess to the ones that are not necessarily gun savvy, and merely regard their duty weapons as tools and only use them once or twice a year to qualify with, per minimum department standards):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/school-resource-officer-leaves-gun-in-faculty-restroom.amp

https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/cops-recover-officers-gun-after-being-stolen-from-burger-king-bathroom/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2015/05/01/politics/capitol-police-leave-guns-in-bathroom-stalls/index.html

I've also seen law cover their pistols with a hand or arm while in large crowds of people, while walking directly past other individuals, and most frequently while trying to squeeze past someone in a tight or cramped space, like a really narrow hallway where he's forced to shuffle past you sideways and you are less than arm's reach away from grabbing his sidearm. Personally, I think it really sucks that they have to be that paranoid of crazy cop killers these days, but then again life's a b**** and then you die; I don't make the rules.

I don't know what it's called from a technical standpoint or if there's a formal term for what they do as I'm not law, but I've seen it before.

Finally, although I don't have the time to look up or watch the video right now as I'm about to finish up breakfast and head to work, I DID look up the copy of the incident report you provided the case number to, and I think you have your wires crossed.

In the incident in the case report, the responding officer wasn't checking to see if his OWN pistol was still in place on his duty belt, he was checking to see if the suspicious male being investigated had a pistol concealed under his shirt in HIS belt. I don't know that I'd call that 'indexing' either so much as I'd call it "being smart", "having common sense", or "liberal application of self preservation instincts to ensure that one stays vertical", or some combination of the three.

Online DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
and merely regard their duty weapons as tools and only use them once or twice a year to qualify with,

This is what I find really surprising. More than once I was at a range or shooting with LE and they were the worst shots and couldnt hit shit..

Maybes its just me,, but when I was in the military ACCURACY was EVERYTHING, and we practiced often.
After 30+ years of CCW,, I STILL practice alot and have my own standard which I hold myself to.
My carry sidearm, EVERYTHING in an 8 inch bull @ 25 yards minimum.

The fact that many cops do exactly what you said, and only consider their sidearm a tool and shoot it once or twice a year is just incomprehensible to me.
They very thing their life depends on, and they pay little or no attention to it.  :th_nuts:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Hits the Target
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
I have no idea as to the ratio, but I have seen many in LE on both sides. some that were just adequate enough to probably pass their qualifications to be able to carry a firearm. I have seen some that were exceptional and very capable shooters.

the first group, more than likely probably only shot just enough to pass their qualifications, while the second group, enjoyed shooting and shot as much as time allowed them to.

and here is the part that hacks me off, is that much of the general public make an incorrect assumption that simply because a person is in LE, that they automatically must be great shooter, and an expert on guns. personally from my observations, I simply don't see that to be the case at all.

Online DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 06:12:09 PM »
I have no idea as to the ratio, but I have seen many in LE on both sides. some that were just adequate enough to probably pass their qualifications to be able to carry a firearm. I have seen some that were exceptional and very capable shooters.

the first group, more than likely probably only shot just enough to pass their qualifications, while the second group, enjoyed shooting and shot as much as time allowed them to.

and here is the part that hacks me off, is that much of the general public make an incorrect assumption that simply because a person is in LE, that they automatically must be great shooter, and an expert on guns. personally from my observations, I simply don't see that to be the case at all.

Totally agree. In fact, more often than not, at least here, most cant shoot for shit.
But yes, there is a small percentage in my area that enjoy shooting and can actually shoot.
What blows my mind is just how small of a percentage that is.

Offline cwo4uscgret

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
When I was in uniform my elbow would often rest on my duty gun.  When I had to walk through a waiting area full of people referred inside our secondary exam building my hand would often be grasping the bottom of the holster.

Why?  Weapons retention.  Think about it.