Author Topic: Did you buy any Black Friday stuff?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Did you buy any Black Friday stuff?
« on: November 22, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »
I do admit that I bought a new cell phone this evening. I had been wanting something besides my super slow  Samsung J3 cell phone.

Found a good deal on a Samsung S8 at Best Buy. I'd been looking for phone deals online for the past 2 days - but that was the phone I really wanted.

What did you guys buy?

Offline studenygreg

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
Re: Did you buy any Black Friday stuff?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 10:52:38 PM »
Nope. For me Thanksgiving is about food, family and football. I will keep track of online sales starting tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »
^^^^^^^^ and  N. O. P. E.

Read an article last week on “Black Friday Deals”. 
The summary was most of those deals were close outs from previous models or reducing stock of poor sellers.
I was at Best Buy and looked at their TVs.  And the biggest 2 ads were just that. 

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
When the grandkids were younger my wife and daughter in law use to go out about 2 AM and get their places in line with hundreds of others at Target or some other store . They actually looked forward to it. I would rather be tied to a fire ant bed and have my ears smeared with jam than brave that crap.
I'm all over Cyber Monday though. I also have noticed some places will drop their prices on all ready discounted items a few days before Christmas so I keep an eye out for that.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 01:35:05 PM »
While many black Friday "deals" are really just a few dollars below normal retail price, the one thing I talked myself into buying while getting some stuff for work this morning was a trio of BlackWeb 20,000 mAh portable battery chargers to supplement the three I've already got.

I use portable battery chargers VERY frequently, and they're worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned because I can charge one up and throw it in any one of the several backpacks I rotate through, or have laying around the house for use during a power outage. They come seriously in handy at lengthy events like concerts and monster truck rallies, and with the fast(er) charging feature, it'll bring my phone back up to 100% in less than an hour.

Normally a stupid compact portable power bank of the kind they stock in the impulse aisles at grocery stores are only ever the crappy 2,500-3,000 mAh and 5,000 mAh banks, which usually run $9 and $13 respectively, and are marketed towards students and women to throw in their purses. The 20,000 mAh model is priced at $47 normally, but, on Black Friday, Wal-Mart sells them for just $15... However, I looked both online and in their in-store catalog; either it's not being advertised, or it may be some kind of 'had to be there' door buster sale. With everything gradually shifting towards standard USB charging capabilities, they can handle tablets, phones, cameras, Bluetooth device, headsets and ear buds, and more.

They take a while to charge (6-8 hours), but I've left them unattended for months at a time and came back to find them still at or near 75%-80% capacity; I'm planning on gifting 1 of the 3 to the sistoral unit since she has not yet seen the glorious light, and I'll have too many otherwise anyway.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »
+1 Gilgondorin
I bought the 55,000mAh Crave batteries, quite a bit heavier but serious 5, 12 & 20 V power where you can’t get it otherwise.

Offline Roguepoint

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »
I am starting a new habit. I am only selling things on Black Friday ! Started this tradition with the sale of a 1963 Walther P38. I feel good about it. I can do this. I keep telling myself, move away from the gun case. Don't buy anything.... Too Late ! It was only ammo though, so it really doesn't count. Right ?

Offline studenygreg

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 04:09:53 PM »
I went to mission ridge shooting range today. I shot my colt rail gun .22lr, 10/22 charger, and cz97bd. All new to me. Shot about 200 rounds of .22lr and 200 rounds of .45acp. So technically I bought range time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
Cant even remember how many years Ive done it,, but I DONT leave the house on black Friday.

No Thanks. They got nuthin I want that bad. :th_thicon_funny:

Besides,, I spent the day eating yesterdays leftovers.  :th_thicon_idea:
Pumpkin pie fer breakfast.
The hot turkey sammich fer lunch was the best "SNACK" today.  :rocknroll2:
The taters/gravey/stuffin snack fer supper  wasnt nuthin to shake a stick at either. :thumbsup1:

Oh,, and had Pumpkin pie fer desert. :P

Our German Shepherds had turkey carcass boiled down to mush in the pressure cooker mixed in their normal fare. I thought they might eat their dishes. Licked clean. no need to wash em. :th_thicon_funny:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Ranger99

• Professional Target Hanger
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
. . . . I DONT leave the house on black Friday. . . .
. . . .Besides,, I spent the day eating yesterdays leftovers. 

i was also overeating on the left over food.
i also did not mingle publicly out of courtesy for my fellow citizens
after eating all those beans and deviled eggs and the bean casseroles
and salads. WAY too much methane emissions to be going out and about
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Just something else to be thankful for :thumbsup1:
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
. . . . I DONT leave the house on black Friday. . . .
. . . .Besides,, I spent the day eating yesterdays leftovers. 

You would be outlawed in kommiefornia.  :th_thicon_funny:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »
I do admit that I bought a new cell phone this evening. I had been wanting something besides my super slow  Samsung J3 cell phone.

Found a good deal on a Samsung S8 at Best Buy. I'd been looking for phone deals online for the past 2 days - but that was the phone I really wanted.

What did you guys buy?

May have already told this,, dunno?

Our one son works for AT&T. So he hooked me up with an apple I fone on his plan last year.
I totally hated it for about 3 months.
But it has grown on me.
I guess the neandrathal has to set aside the old flip fone sometime.

This one does have an awesome signal where the old flippers had dead zones all over.
It also takes great pics and vids.

We were OK once he turned Ciri OFF.

I was trying to call the wife back one day,, 1st call Id tried to make.
The fone wouldnt let me out of the update screen and I couldnt find the dial pad.
So I pulled off the interstate and no matter what I did, I couldnt make a call.
I started cussing.
Then this womans voice ( CIRI ) starts telling me SHE DONT APPRECIATE my language.
Which,,,, only made it worse.
I had to drive 10 miles to my father in laws house to call the wife back.  :bangheadonwall:

I called the boy that night and told him as much as I appreciated the fone, if it didnt cost upwards of $800 bucks,, I would have pitched it out into the center of the interstate and watched a truck run it over.
I said I DIDNT NEED a womans voice in the fone telling me to watch my mouth,,, I ALREADY had a wife taking care of that.  :bangheadonwall:
He laughed hysterically and told me how to shut the voice activation off.  :th_thicon_funny:

Ive come to kinda like this fone now, but it took some time.
The price was certainly right. Unlimited everything. :rocknroll2:
I does need charged though every 2 days.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »

What did you guys buy?

May have already told this,, dunno?

Our one son works for AT&T. So he hooked me up with an apple I fone on his plan last year.
I totally hated it for about 3 months.
But it has grown on me.
I guess the neandrathal has to set aside the old flip fone sometime.

This one does have an awesome signal where the old flippers had dead zones all over.
It also takes great pics and vids.

We were OK once he turned Ciri OFF.

I was trying to call the wife back one day,, 1st call Id tried to make.
The fone wouldnt let me out of the update screen and I couldnt find the dial pad.
So I pulled off the interstate and no matter what I did, I couldnt make a call.
I started cussing.
Then this womans voice ( CIRI ) starts telling me SHE DONT APPRECIATE my language.
Which,,,, only made it worse.
I had to drive 10 miles to my father in laws house to call the wife back.  :bangheadonwall:

I called the boy that night and told him as much as I appreciated the fone, if it didnt cost upwards of $800 bucks,, I would have pitched it out into the center of the interstate and watched a truck run it over.
I said I DIDNT NEED a womans voice in the fone telling me to watch my mouth,,, I ALREADY had a wife taking care of that.  :bangheadonwall:
He laughed hysterically and told me how to shut the voice activation off.  :th_thicon_funny:

Ive come to kinda like this fone now, but it took some time.
The price was certainly right. Unlimited everything. :rocknroll2:
I does need charged though every 2 days.

Well, I have been using a $150 Samsung J3 for the last year and a half, and it was so slow.

The Samsung S8 was pretty damn expensive when it came out. My girlfriend got one last year - on sale for $650 (I think it was close to $800 initially). I have been jealous of her phone ever since.

When the S9 came out around Aug 2018, the Samsung S8 came down in price a little.

But with the sale on black Friday, it was $449.

I have had it for 2 days now, and it is fantastic. I took my son to the zoo yesterday, and the camera is amazing. The one on my older Samsung J3 was horrible.

As for battery - I use my phone on and off all day - for email and internet browsing. so, I have to charge it every day

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
About eight years ago I inherited a I phone three from my 12 year old granddaughter to replace my aging Nokia brick. Didn't know that the ring tone was Kiss me baby one more time by Brittany Spears. Found out in a check outline at the grocery store.  :icon_redface:
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »
years ago when cell phones were new I bought a Bag Phone for my Wife - to carry with her in her car for emergency purposes only (a friend going on a x-country driving trip borrowed it and was pissed when he got a bill for a couple of hundred $s  :icon_wink:)

since then she's owned a variety of phones and used various providers (settled with Verizon for best coverage)

then when I started doing my solo x-country driving trips she (rightly) concluded that a cell phone for me would be an added safety item - I got a Flip Phone and liked it

now she's got the latest something or other and got one for me too - I have no idea on how to use it (except when it's with me in my truck, where it's "mated" so I sometimes get calls).  I do use it, very infrequently, to make calls but I don't know how to use it's camera, or how to open voice mail messages or check missed calls and the ring volume must be "off" 'cause I never hear it ring (and that's the way I like it)

I shake my head in disgust, when dining out, at the morons who are screwin' with their phone at other tables.....I went to the John in a restaurant recently, on the way passed a table and happened to see that a fellow there was playing Solitare on his phone .. while sitting at the table with his Wife and Kids.....must be one hell of a happy household there, not  :thumbsdown:

when my Wife and I go out I "request" that she leave her phone in the vehicle - if she's expecting an important call she will keep the phone hidden and if there's a call I insist that she take it outside

remember that old song that goes.....:  "got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now.."  that's how I feel about cell phones

bah humbug on cell phones
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 07:25:54 AM »
years ago when cell phones were new I bought a Bag Phone for my Wife - to carry with her in her car for emergency purposes only (a friend going on a x-country driving trip borrowed it and was pissed when he got a bill for a couple of hundred $s  :icon_wink:)

since then she's owned a variety of phones and used various providers (settled with Verizon for best coverage)

then when I started doing my solo x-country driving trips she (rightly) concluded that a cell phone for me would be an added safety item - I got a Flip Phone and liked it

now she's got the latest something or other and got one for me too - I have no idea on how to use it (except when it's with me in my truck, where it's "mated" so I sometimes get calls).  I do use it, very infrequently, to make calls but I don't know how to use it's camera, or how to open voice mail messages or check missed calls and the ring volume must be "off" 'cause I never hear it ring (and that's the way I like it)

I shake my head in disgust, when dining out, at the morons who are screwin' with their phone at other tables.....I went to the John in a restaurant recently, on the way passed a table and happened to see that a fellow there was playing Solitare on his phone .. while sitting at the table with his Wife and Kids.....must be one hell of a happy household there, not  :thumbsdown:

when my Wife and I go out I "request" that she leave her phone in the vehicle - if she's expecting an important call she will keep the phone hidden and if there's a call I insist that she take it outside

remember that old song that goes.....:  "got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now.."  that's how I feel about cell phones

bah humbug on cell phones

Well, one of the reasons for my divorce was that my wife was addicted to the internet and her ipad. She was on it all night, every night. She would deny that all she did was play with her ipad while she was still playing on her ipad. Can you believe that... So, I know what ya mean.

I saw two teens out on a date recently, at the same cafe I was at. Dumb boy was out with a beautiful girl, and all the two did was use their phones the entire time. I watched it for a while and thought how sad it was.

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
 :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:
About eight years ago I inherited a I phone three from my 12 year old granddaughter to replace my aging Nokia brick. Didn't know that the ring tone was Kiss me baby one more time by Brittany Spears. Found out in a check outline at the grocery store.  :icon_redface:
[/quote

:th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:

I bet that made you feel masculine as hell around all those lady shoppers.  :th_thicon_funny:

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
Good points made guys.

Too many people get totally engrossed in their cell phones and the world passes by, and they dont even see it.

And its just not the "kids" doing it, Ive seen 75 year old women in Aldi's doing it.
Had to say something to one since she was holding the line up,,, totally oblivious to how RUDE she was being to those behind her.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
about saying something to phone morons.....whenever I do the grocery shopping (which is most of the time) and someone (mostly women) "blindly" come at me while they're texting (et al) and pushing a grocery cart I offer :....."tsk tsk, no texting while driving" (that keeps me from saying how I really feel  :help:
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum