Author Topic: Anyone Carry a Knife For Backup?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Anyone Carry a Knife For Backup?
« on: October 26, 2018, 02:39:54 AM »
Just curious. I sometimes carry a micro 380 for backup but I did some reading on knives, which I know very little about. Last year Texas opened up options for carrying knives.  https://www.texastribune.org/2017/09/12/new-texas-law-expands-knife-freedoms/   I researched a bit & learned there are 2 schools of thought for self-defense with a knife: Slashing vs stabbing. Saw these curved, toothy looking knives meant for cutting people up enough they either decide to leave or stick around long enough to bleed out. Other style was the old double edged dagger, which they sort of wrote off. Thinking I'll just stick with a 2nd pistol but since I don't know squat about knives for self-defense, your thoughts?
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Marlin 795 .22

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Carry a Knife For Backup?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 05:40:16 AM »
I carry one of these. Not necessarily as a backup but available if needed. Notice that it hangs horizontally on the belt. I wear it in front about one o'clock. And to draw it from the sheath is a horizontal movement. You can change the belt loop to four different locations. Vertical or horizontal for a right hander or vertical or horizontal for a left hander.

It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Ranger99

• Professional Target Hanger
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
i still have a couple of decent (read expensive- benchmade) folding knives, but
they really aren't any sharper than the buck 284's i bought for $14.00 each
on clearance. (discontinued ugly coloration)
i won't say anything about using it for defensive purposes for obvious reasons,
but it will cut through shirt and jacket sleeves just fine.
and, by my current way of thinking, i can toss it if need be with no regrets and
not boo-hoo about a $200.00 knife gone forever, and just buy another expendable
knife.
fwiw, i bought a no-name far east "tactical " folder at wally world a couple of years
ago that's fairly well built, and would fit well in the stick-'em-and-toss-it role

(WOOPS! !  i wrote 284 for some odd reason when the tang is stamped 286.
that's what happens the closer you get to the elderly stage. . . :facepalm: )
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:02:58 PM by Ranger99 »
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »
IIRC, long, long ago I read a discussion about this subject on Texas Gun Talk.

The major takeaway points Gilgondorin personally got out of it were thus:
1.) In the majority of cases, a "self defense" knife wound is apparently indistinguishable from a "billigerent/offensive" knife wound to a frightening and dishearteningly large number of investigators, and thus far more likely to get you in trouble if the crook says you assailed HIM, particularly if he's unarmed or lightly armed. Moreover, it's also likelier to get you frowned at more severely by an overzealous D.A. because why purposefully maim an individual, rather than flee or draw and kill them? Answer: Because the odds are that your life wasn't really in danger if you didn't need to shoot to save yourself, which follows prosecutor logic of why warning shots are illegal.
2.) The majority of people who carry a knife will more than likely end up like Melish from Saving Private Ryan without extensive training and a sparring partner. For somebody with back problems, a physical disability, or suffering from a moderate/severe case of old age, this won't be possible.
3.) For some people, even WITH the training/sparring partner, they'll still be screwed anyway because some longtime practitioners of knife sparring agreed that only half the fight will rely on your ability to wield the knife as you've been taught the primary modifier of one's survival rate will actually be how quickly their natural reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and reaction times are, and whether they can use them to successfully fend off an aggressor's own blade.
4.) A knife against another knife probably just isn't as good a deterrent to continuing an assault as a knife against a gun would be.
5.) With the following points swimming around in your grey matter, they combine to make it a losing bet tactically speaking, because if you've reached the point where you have to resort to a knife over a pistol (either because the attacker disarmed you and has it, you dropped it, ran out of ammo, etc.), then you did something way wrong somewhere, and you've either lost or failed perhaps both.

It seems to me like although the saying goes, "anything is better than nothing" it's a lot more of a liability to carry anything you actually intend to use in combat than it's worth.

Therefore, the only reason I carry a knife is for utility purposes: either to cut open packaging, potentially cut off a seatbelt (mine or someone else's) at the scene of a car accident, cut plastic straps off pallets at work, potentially cut off clothing to inspect a serious wound site, etc. etc. etc.

Side note: If I'm understanding the O.P.'s description right, then you're taking about what's called a Karambit a sickle shaped blade intended for use cutting the tendons and ligaments at the same junction point where the artery passes through knee and elbow joints and in doing so both crippling and likely killing your opponent at the same time, barring timely E.M.S. response. They're highly popular in Silat.

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »
Good points to consider. Since I have no training in knife fighting my instinct it is to use my feet & fists anyway which I do have training in. But only if I'm out of ammo when the SHTF. I'm beginning to think a knife could be a distraction in some cases.
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Marlin 795 .22

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
my interest in obtaining a knife isn't for "backup", nor fighting - simply want a good knife to carry on my person because there's so many times that I really "need" one (around the property)

I've gone ahead and ordered a Buck 119 and an after-market leather sheath (so I can carry the knife in a horizontal position

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-119-Special/dp/B00HT27XC0

and this sheath

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRLW43O/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01IRLW43O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=NWBHA5D2JXB7B7S3EJGF&pd_rd_wg=TnOYi&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=cmDaz&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=8271ee6e-d96c-11e8-943e-3f50e486d3b4

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
I have a 5.11 brand folding knife I received as a bonus for buying a pair of boots years ago. Sharp as a razor. I carry it occasionally when I go somewhere where it might be needed such as outdoor BBQ's or cookouts where a dangerous lime or lemon needs to be sliced for a margarita or vodka martini.
Seriously, if I'm going to the range or to the lake or river I always have my Snap-on Multi-tool on my hip or in my range bag. But as a EDC no. I keep both in my car though.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:38:03 PM »
I carry a Swiss army knife a lot. The other tools on it are used more than the knife, usually.

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
I carry a Swiss army knife a lot. The other tools on it are used more than the knife, usually.

just me- i have a few different SAK's of different brands and sizes, victorinox, wenger, etc.
and (had) a leatherman or two.
i personally think they are better tool kits than they are knives even though the blades
are quality and are sharp. to me, a purpose built screwdriver or pair of pliers, etc. does a better
job than the ones in a SAK or multi tool

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »

just me- i have a few different SAK's of different brands and sizes, victorinox, wenger, etc.
and (had) a leatherman or two.
i personally think they are better tool kits than they are knives even though the blades
are quality and are sharp. to me, a purpose built screwdriver or pair of pliers, etc. does a better
job than the ones in a SAK or multi tool

Well, I am not going to carry around a seperate screwdriver (in both formats). This works great.

Truth is that I use the scissors more than anything else.

I have several Leatherman Micras, but the scissors always dull after a couple of years. The blades are serrated on my swiss army knife, so I never have to sharpen those scissors. When the scissors on the leathermans dull too much, I was buying another one. But, they are like $20 each. I think I have 3 or 4.

I do have a Gerber with scissors that is the same size as the Leatherman Micras. I used to carry that all the time, but went back to the Swiss army knife recently.

I had an old Wenger Swiss army knife with a broker blade from the 1990s. It sat in a drawer for years - because of the broken blade. I found out that you can send them in with about $5, and they will fix them under warranty. Well, Victorinox bought out Wenger, so they no longer make Wenger knives. Victorinox sent me a completely new Victorinox knife for that $5 fee. Once I got that new knife about a year ago, I switched to carrying the new Swiss army knife instead of the Gerber.

I really like the new knife too.

I use the phillips head screwdriver and the scissors more than I use the blade on a knife, usually.

I had another Victorinox knife with a broken blade too. I used to use them to pull out staples on my targets at the gun range (staples from a staple gun). I sent that knife in with the $5 fee. Victorinox didn't replace the knife completely, but they did change out every part except for the flat head screwdriver. And, they also replaced the red outer plastic pieces. So, basically a new knife.

I gave that one to my son. 

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »
. . . .I've gone ahead and ordered a Buck 119 . . . .

this ^ ^ ^ ^  is a wise decision IMO.  :th_thicon_idea: :thumbsup1:
it's a quality knife for not a whole lot of dough, and if it is
lost or stolen or you have to ditch it, it can be easily replaced
without too awful much moaning and groaning and ree-ree's.
and you can buy one most anyplace at most any store and
not have to pay two prices for it.
i think everybody should have at least one of these

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
ordered Sheath arrived yesterday, the Knife got here today

Buck 119

Knife with Kydex Sheath that comes with it - adjustable for vertical or horizontal wear - a "spark stick" and a whistle are attached - the Knife "locks" in place

my special order leather Sheath (by Carl Thomas) - set for horizontal cross-draw wear (it's ambi)

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »
uh. . . . . that looks more like a Selkirk to me than a 119  :thinker:

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
.I've gone ahead and ordered a Buck 119 and an after-market leather sheath (so I can carry the knife in a horizontal position

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-119-Special/dp/B00HT27XC0

my mistake- i had thought it would be this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »
ordered Sheath arrived yesterday, the Knife got here today

Buck 119