Author Topic: Was I wrong for this?  (Read 1661 times)

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Was I wrong for this?
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:45:27 PM »
I have been selling firearms on a local forum for several years. Yesterday I listed a S&W Model 25-13 for sale and a young guy, probably a college student as he told me he had been in class all day, responded and made a offer that was insultingly less than the asking price. After telling him I wouldn't consider it we came to a mutual agreement on the sale. Then he  added this. He wanted me to meet him at a local gun range, pay the range fees, let him shoot some of my ammo (.45 LC is expensive) and then he would make a decision.
WTF. I responded that this must be his first attempt at buying a firearm on line. Told him how it's supposed work. Agree on a price and a place to meet and then take care of business. Don't like the look of the firearm don't buy. No harm no foul. If you buy a gun at a gun show you don't get a test drive and I'm not even going to consider incurring extra costs with the possibility of him crawfishing on the deal. Told him the price we agreed on was still on the table. Haven't heard back.
BTW i'm cleaning out my safe of firearms I no longer want or haven't fired in a while. In the next day or so I'll will post in classifieds.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Was I wrong for this?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:57:57 PM »
One time in the late 1990s, I met a buyer at a range and let him try the gun. If I was to buy a used gun, I would do this.

But he paid his own rnge fee and ammo. Your guy's request was ridiculous

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
The correct, succinct answer to such a little - - - - - - - is:
“Adios Mother . . . . . .  “

I had a very similar experience 9 years ago with a pistol.
Kid had just turned 18, showed me his license, And then he said the law requires me to sell it to him.
After repeating his demand, I suggested he leave which finally did. 
To which my policy became No sales to anyone younger than .308Nato.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:52:38 PM »
I won't sell a gun to anyone under 21. I will admit, that I did not know it was legal for a long time. I had an eighteen-year-old contact me once. I looked into it after I denied the sale to him, and I saw it was legal. Since then, I've had several eighteen-year-olds contact me before. I won't sell to them at all. Apparently they can't buy it new at the store, but they can buy a handgun used under 21.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »
It might be legal Ship, but I am not interested in participating.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »
About ten whole seconds into that conversation I would have told him forget it, and DONT EVER contact me again.
Sounds like a freaking snowflake.
And I just dont deal with morons, because my patience with them is somewhere BELOW 0%.

If they got it, its worth a million dolllars.
If you got it, they want it for nothing. And 9 time outta 10, if you paid them to take it,, they would come back to haunt ya with whining and bitching.

So,, did YOU do wrong  :thinker: . NOPE, not IMO.

I just dont have any time for people like that. They are predictable.  :bangheadonwall:
NOPE,,  dont want none.  :th_thicon_funny:

I rarely sell a gun, but I just let my LGS whom Ive known for 30+ years take them on consignment. They charge me 10 %, they get top dollar,, and they can deal with the idiots, window shoppers, jerks, snowflakes, PLUS the responsibility.

And if I spend the money right back in the store, ( which I do 99% of the time) he generally knocks 10% +  back off my new purchase. So,,, . Win win.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
One time in the late 1990s, I met a buyer at a range and let him try the gun. If I was to buy a used gun, I would do this.

Id be 100% okay with that.

course Id make em clean it afterwards if they backed out... lol

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »

Id be 100% okay with that.

course Id make em clean it afterwards if they backed out... lol

Thankfully, the range did not charge me, since I just stood there. We met at the range near West Oaks Mall in Houston. Do not know if that range is still there.

Online 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
The correct, succinct answer to such a little - - - - - - - is:
“Adios Mother . . . . . .  “

I had a very similar experience 9 years ago with a pistol.
Kid had just turned 18, showed me his license, And then he said the law requires me to sell it to him.
After repeating his demand, I suggested he leave which finally did. 
To which my policy became No sales to anyone younger than .308Nato.

:th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_idea:
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
"Was I wrong for this?"

Like... Nah. Why would you even ask such a question? Dude was an effin' re-re. :th_thicon_lol:

I'd have told him to take a hike just after low-balling me, let alone the whole rest of his shtick -- and that's assuming I even responded to his single digit I.Q.-having ass in the first place... I usually don't bother; they've already wasted enough of my time just making me unlock my phone to lay eyes on their foolishness to begin with.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 08:34:01 AM »
We met at the range near West Oaks Mall in Houston. Do not know if that range is still there.

That's American Shooting Center, and it's still one of the best public ranges around.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
We met at the range near West Oaks Mall in Houston. Do not know if that range is still there.

That's American Shooting Center, and it's still one of the best public ranges around.

Ah, ok. That meet to see a handgun was like one of the very first handguns I ever sold. Must have been 18 or 19 years ago.