Author Topic: ..Winchester Gun Safe..  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
..Winchester Gun Safe..
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:39:53 AM »
have had our Winchester Gun Safe for a number of years now and setting the combo has become "iffy" as to whether, or not, it was gonna open

so

after the recent move we've contacted the local Locksmith who will replace the combo mechanism (he ordered a new one but when he got it, it was missing a part - so.....more delay)

meantime most of our herd of Pistols sit locked up in two very large black storage boxes in the garage   :th_thicon_cry:

Winchester, by the way, has been bought out by "somebody" and the original warranty is valid for just 1 year

very interesting of what's inside the door (space) - visible when the door's inside cover is removed - a good place to "hide" stuff, like cash and jewelry.....perhaps
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: ..Winchester Gun Safe..
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
After our son showed me some vids, I wasnt happy about the security of the old winchester safe I had.
The door had too much slop and too big a gap that it would have been easy to get a pry bar in there and pop the door.
The frame was also thin, so subject to just bowing the frame to pop the door.

I bought a new Browning beast with 100% heavy plate steel frame and door, and a really tight fit with no gap.

The old winchester safe is now an ammo locker.  :th_thicon_idea:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
I used to store ammo in mine. But it is on the 2nd floor now, and I worry about weight. So, I had to take most of the ammo out.

Offline Shield45

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
Unless you spend BIG money on a true SAFE the lockers we call safes are all easily opened in short time IF someone tries.

However the time deterrent and noise as well usually keep them unmolested.

As for fire thats pretty iffy as well with most store bought units. If the fire is close/intense enough they will yield a pile of useless metal.

I still keep mine in a nice RedHead(BassPro brand) one however. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
A couple of the biggest stop gaps for thieves on gun safes.

1. BOLT it in , preferably in a corner, closet, etc,  somewhere its really hard to get at the door with crow bars, or the sides with a grinder.

You really need to keep it so they cant drag it out and lay it on its back, or get at the sides, top, or back.

2. Make sure whatever safe you buy, has a 100% plate steel front, especially the frame, with the tightest gap possible. .
It does no good to have a plate steel door if the frame is just a weak metal. They just pry the frame away from the door and it pops right open.
If the door gap is really tight, they cant get a pry bar in there,, so now your back to protecting the sides  & top from a grinder.

As said, safes are really only going to slow down a determined thief.
But there are alot of things you can do to slow them down.

An easy thing is to build the safe in, or bolt it in a closet or very small confined space so they have no room to get at it to  work on it.  :thumbsup1:

As I said earlier,, several cheaper safes I had without the plate steel frames are now out in the open and used as ammo lockers. If they figure out HOW to get past my German Shepherds,  How many cases of ammo can a thief really carry?  Thats easily replaced.
But they will play absolute hell trying to get at my guns.

I also took some old cheap 22 lr rifle's ( WITHOUT firing pins, I dont fancy getting shot with one of my own guns)  and leave them in the big fancy Oak gun cabinet as window dressing. Also stuff that could be replaced.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »
I just connected a 240V wire to my cheap safe's frame when we're gone.   
It's getting tough though, I need more space to bury all the bodies. 

:scream3:

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 11:25:32 PM »
I just connected a 240V wire to my cheap safe's frame when we're gone.   
It's getting tough though, I need more space to bury all the bodies. 

:scream3:

I had a great Uncle,, a WW 1 vet, who for ALL purposes, was no nonsense, and a rather gruff character.

He had a huge Black Bear getting into his on shed all the time. It was a wood and coal shed, so WHY this bear decided with several chicken coops, and 2 barns, to bother the wood shed is a mystery.

So he took some chicken wire, layered the floor on the entrance to the wood & coal shed.
Then he hooked up 220 to the wire on a switch at the house about 50 yards away.

One night he hears the bear in the shed AGAIN,, flips the switch.  :facepalm:

NEVER seen the bear again.  :afraid4: