Author Topic: Beretta 92 Compact Hammer Spring  (Read 178 times)

Offline m5215

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
Beretta 92 Compact Hammer Spring
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
I got around to putting in a 16# hammer spring in my Beretta 92 Compact. When I checked out the trigger pull it seemed stiffer than the full size model 92's that had 16# hammer springs installed. Is this extra stiffness in the 92 Compact due to it being smaller so the hammer spring is compressed a little more as that is the only reason I can find that the Compact is stiffer with the same spring that the full size 92 is using. I have gone ahead and picked up a 14# hammer spring which I assume will bring the trigger pull on the Compact to be about the same as the full size 92 with the 16# hammer spring.
Beretta M92S
Beretta M92D
Beretta M92FS
Beretta M92FS Inox
Beretta M92 Compact L
Beretta M92FS Centurion
Beretta M9A1 Brigadier (custom)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Beretta 92 Compact Hammer Spring
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »
No, the hammer spring, hammer and hammer strut are the exact same size in the 92FS fullsize and 92 compact. I've owned 28 Beretta 92 variants over the years, including several compacts. And, I've done a lot of part swapping.

Only the lanyard loop piece on the 92 compact is shorter - because the grip length is shorter. There is no extra compression on the spring due to the shorter size. That's the only real internal difference of the parts in the rear of the frame.

Be aware that the hammer spring on a Beretta 92 breaks in over time. So, over time, the trigger gets a little lighter.

I could look on my computer for the old text file - But, I used to have a trigger gauge. I tested two Berettas  with D springs - a Beretta with a NEW factory D spring that has never been shot yet (a D spring is a factory hammer spring weighted at 16 pounds) to a Beretta 92 with a D spring that had 3000 rounds run thru the gun after the D spring was put in. The pull was lighter in the gun with 3000 rounds thru it.

Also, the sear and hammer wears over time too. You could manually polish some parts to get the same effect. But, you have to be vary careful what part you polish, otherwise the hammer can slip and drop. There is a DIY trigger job post at the Beretta Forum. But, just put a couple thousand rounds thru the gun and you get the same effect. I've never bothered to do anything but drop in the D spring. The trigger wears in over time.

However - I did once have 1 Beretta that must have had a burr on the hammer. The trigger was bad at the breaking point. I changed the hammer out and that fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:42:26 PM by Shipwreck »

Offline m5215

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
Thanks for the great explanation Shipwreck.  I guess I will keep the 16# hammer spring in and see how it breaks in.  I can always replace it later if I want but taking out that pin which holds in the lanyard loop on the Italian version of the pistol like mine is a pain in the rear as it requires a punch and hammer so I want to avoid doing that again if I can.  I wish the loose fitting lanyard pin was available so I could replace it with one of those but no one has that pin in stock anywhere!  Thanks again!
Beretta M92S
Beretta M92D
Beretta M92FS
Beretta M92FS Inox
Beretta M92 Compact L
Beretta M92FS Centurion
Beretta M9A1 Brigadier (custom)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the great explanation Shipwreck.  I guess I will keep the 16# hammer spring in and see how it breaks in.  I can always replace it later if I want but taking out that pin which holds in the lanyard loop on the Italian version of the pistol like mine is a pain in the rear as it requires a punch and hammer so I want to avoid doing that again if I can.  I wish the loose fitting lanyard pin was available so I could replace it with one of those but no one has that pin in stock anywhere!  Thanks again!

Yes, putting in the new pin (USA style) is super easy. But, if they are out of stock, you are stuck.

I personally never change the hammer spring out until I have one of those pins in my hands. I replace the roll pin after I knock it out the 1st time.