Author Topic: Trying to set a price on a 4" pinned S&W Model 28-2  (Read 838 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Trying to set a price on a 4" pinned S&W Model 28-2
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
Have two so I'm going to sell one to finance another project. It's "pinned" manufactured in 1979 and in VG condition with a barely noticeable turn ring. No holster wear. All original with original grips, box and paperwork.
On line prices are all over the place. From  $400 (which I thinks is low) to $800+ which may or may not be too high. I'm usually pretty good at pricing firearms I put up for sale but this one has me stumped.
If it helps I paid $300 for it about 10 years ago.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Ricochet

• Gun Show Attendee
  • Gun Shop Vulture
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to set a price on a 4" pinned S&W Model 28-2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »
Pistols like that are hard to price.  To me it falls into the category of what someone is willing to pay.  A S&W guy will be willing to pay a little more than Colt guy but some one trying to finish out a collection will pay more just to have it.  IMO its a 500-550 range.  I would maybe try asking on one of the SW forums.  I just don't think your average shooter would know what that pistols is.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Pistols like that are hard to price.  To me it falls into the category of what someone is willing to pay.  A S&W guy will be willing to pay a little more than Colt guy but some one trying to finish out a collection will pay more just to have it.  IMO its a 500-550 range.  I would maybe try asking on one of the SW forums.  I just don't think your average shooter would know what that pistols is.
I'm with you on all the above. I posted the same question earlier today on a couple of other forums and am trying to get an $ average from the other responses I receive. Right now I'm looking at asking $600 with some wiggle room but I'm in no hurry.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
I am a semi-auto guy. So, while I have sold many guns over the years - revolvers were never my thing. So, I can't be of any help. Sorry

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »
I am a semi-auto guy. So, while I have sold many guns over the years - revolvers were never my thing. So, I can't be of any help. Sorry
No problem Ship I've been collecting pinned Smith's for years and am selling some of my duplicates and some other pistols and long guns I just don't shoot anymore to finance a couple other firearms I want. You know how it is.  :thumbsup1:
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
From another forum

78 in Pristine condition 850.00 Sold
775.00 S prefix Really good shape like you describe = Sold
675.00 Shooter grade = Sold

None with boxes or papers.

EDIT: oops - these are all 6" didn't read the 4" part in your description.