Author Topic: Another useless question: Best / most rewarding job you've had  (Read 442 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Another useless question: Best / most rewarding job you've had
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »
Could be career, 'just a job', full or part time, paid or volunteer, what's the best / most rewarding / fun-est job you've ever had.
Most of us here have been around a while and likely had some good and bad jobs.

What was the best / most rewarding and why?

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Another useless question: Best / most rewarding job you've had
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
Pilot/Captain of 31 years with Continental Airlines and the best flying was the South Pacific while living on both the Big Island and Oahu in Hawaii - layovers in Nadi, Fiji/Pago Pago, American Samoa/Auckland, NZ and best of all Sydney, Au - flew Boeing 707s and 727s plus Douglas DC-10 ('10s & -30s) - going to "work" was great but so was "getting home"

next best was 9 years with the US Army - 4 years enlisted/5 years commissioned - loved the Army life/hated my 2 Vietnam tours (for obvious reasons) - 2 tours in Germany, 1st as an enlisted puke who couldn't afford to travel, 2nd tour could afford but too busy flying the border to get time off

worst job was as a kid, delivering "throw-away" newspapers (which nobody wanted) and then trying to collect $s (which nobody did)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline mdf9183

• Military
  • Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »
My 30 years in Law enforcement 23 of them in criminal investigation. 2nd was the 4 years I spent in the USAF. Worst pumping gas at a filling station, yes that was a job at one time.
It is better to have loved and lost than to never have lost at all.

Offline busykngt

• 3 Yard Shooter
  • Ex-Army (former cannon cocker)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
Throughout my working life, I always thought I’d make a GREAT retiree or pensioner.  So far I haven’t disappointed myself.
GOA Lifemember/NRA Endowment member/TSRA/CMP

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
Being a father and now a grandfather. No money (just the opposite) but rewarding none the less.
Best job that paid was when I was a K9 handler for 8 years in the Army. Nothing gets your attention more than a 100 Lb German Shepard on a short leash. Working customs in Europe and working the fence line at nuclear missile batteries was interesting. Stateside you more or less made your own schedule. Patrol, drug interdiction and putting on demonstrations for the brass and civilians. Lots of traveling when I was on alert for drug interdiction. Southern California, Panama, Florida Keys, Alaska, Presidio of San Francisco, where my dog alerted on 2 pounds of PCP which was a fairly new drug in 1978, and a few other places.
Worst job was using fiberglass insulation to wrap attic heating and air conditioning ducts in government tract housing, in Texas, in the summer. Paid $2 an hour which was a decent wage in 1969 for a kid right out of high school.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Roguepoint

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
I would have to say most rewarding for me was 4 years in USMC. Helped me get my head screwed on right, and torqued down properly. 

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
In order of occurrence:
Uncle
Dad
Scoutmaster
Government service