Author Topic: What firearm did you use for your first CC/LTC class  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Babbalou1956

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
Re: What firearm did you use for your first CC/LTC class
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 12:30:39 AM »
I used a rented DAO J-frame 38 with pink grips & a horrible trigger. That wasn't the plan. I was told I couldn't carry a semi-auto if I used a revolver for the class. At the time I only had a Ruger LCR but was looking for a semi-auto so I decided to rent one & leave the LCR at home. I get to the class & they say "Oh that changed! You can now qualify with a revolver & carry either!" Great. But I didn't bring my LCR, which I shot well. I had less experience with semi-autos at the time so I rented the only available revolver. Skinny grip sucked, trigger felt like 15 pounds & nowhere as smooth as my LCR. But I qualified. Instructor stared at my target & said "You shot that with the snubbie?" One of the better scores in the class so Murphy's Law did a 180. Was happy to return that little pink P.O.S. before leaving. I told several people "This isn't mine." They laughed like, "Eh, right. Sure. Wife's?"
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger LCRX
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle

Offline Billy Gruber

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
Unfortunately I decided to take my test when it was 109 (w/ humidity) and was sweating and cramping up, but decided to just get it done and over, LOL.  I used a Walther 9mm P88 that I inherited from my father-in-law.  The last time I shot a handgun was 20 years ago and was a much smaller caliber.  I could not believe the power and force that erupted out of the barrel of that gun when I pulled the trigger for the first time.  One of my problems was pulling too hard on the trigger, which was causing my shots to go low.  My instructor played a few tricks on me by taking the gun each time and not letting me know if it was loaded or unloaded when returning it, and then having me pull the trigger not knowing if it would fire.  First few times it did not fire - and I began holding it more steady.  Then like on the 5th try it fired and I hit the target exactly in the bullseye.  A lot of it is mental and of course muscle memory.  I ended up doing 223 out of 250, with most of my bad shots being low from 15 yards, which again was from not holding the gun steady while pulling the trigger.  I think a lot of it was my sweaty hands and being fatigued.  I swear, I was aiming at the throat and still hitting the targets groin area. I'm DEFINITELY going back and getting more advanced training - especially defensive training.   
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Offline Gambler

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »
I just started shooting a hand gun a few months before I took the course.  Had shot my son-in-laws G19, his .38 revolver and through a citizens police academy was able to shoot their G17 duty guns.   

I decided before I took the course to buy a G19 because I knew I wanted to get my LTC and a G17 was too big for concealed carry in the summer.   I shot it a few times before the course and that is what I used and had no trouble qualifying.   

But now, I am more experienced and as soon as I can find one, I intend to buy a G26 for most of my carry duties.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2020, 11:27:06 AM »
I had a G26 when they first came out in the 1990s. I put up with it for years, because no other gun had such a rust proof finish at the time. When I discovered the P99 had the same finish, I switched to them.

The backstrap of the Glock 26 is too short for me. Even if you put a small baseplate extension on the bottom of the mag - that usually only increases the front strap length. There are some other subcompacts that just a tiny bit bigger