Author Topic: ..Ground Broken..  (Read 734 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
..Ground Broken..
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
yippee - ground was broken yesterday for the pad upon which our new (steel) Barn will be built (will post pics as work progresses) - the Barn will be somewhat close to the house, at the top of the front pasture (about 5 acres) and will face down-pasture, towards the street

this will be a center aisle Barn with 2 stalls on either side - a Tack/Feed room on one side and a Wash room opposite on the other side.  a double sliding door both front and back and then the stalls will have sliding doors (servicing both stalls on each side), allowing access to all stalls from the right and left sides of the Barn or from the aisle inside.  We'll have electrics and water running to the Barn.  Then there will be a 12' lean-to on both sides - our Boys are gonna love - shucks, I'm gonna love it !

funny thing - their Cat was brought in on a very long flatbed trailer, pulled by a semi - that rig got hung up on our driveway curb with it's drive wheels off the ground (couldn't move) so the Dirt Honcho asked if he could get a "push" by my little 39HP Kubota - sure enough it became the little old Tractor that could.....

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: ..Ground Broken..
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 06:49:32 AM »
ah the life of a "gentleman rancher" ..... have spent an average of 6 hours per day atop my Tractor (for the last 5 days) rotary cutting pesky Goat Weed (to be sprayed at the start of it's next growing season)

installed a 10' metal Stock gate in one area of our backyard fence, to allow access of our zero turn riding mower

upcoming :  putting in about 100' of x-fencing, with Stock gate, at the north end of the 5 acre front Pasture, that will be the initial new home for our 2 Boys (Horses), Cinco and Ali (the new Barn is also in this Pasture)

doing all this with a severe abdominal pull (which is "mending" itself well)

waiting on the Concrete guys to start the next phase of the Barn - come on guy, we miss our Boys (they're being boarded with our Ferrier until the Barn is finished)

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »
You only thought you were “retiring”.
Congrats again on the new homestead.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »
Glad to see it's nothing more serious and your doing the things you like to do.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
I think I'm in pretty good shape for an 80 y/o - just got back from Lowe's - got a new 12' gate to be set in that x-fencing - also got 5 more, round 5" posts (Lowe's and Home Depot, by the way, give a 10% discount for Service Connected Disabilities)

now I've gotta unhitch the Rotary Cutter and hook-up the Post Hole Digger and "get to work"

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
the concrete will be set up and poured this coming week  :th_thicon_idea: - meantime the Wife and I have been busy everyday

after cutting the Goat Weed over 6 days/6 hours per day I unhitched the rotary cutter and hooked up the post hole digger - today we set five 5" round posts and installed a 12' metal Stock Gate - still have one post to set and install the 2-way gate latch - then the horizontal boards (5 total including the 2" top)

then a fellow didn't set his parking brake well and his car rolled down a driveway, across a road and thru our north pasture stock fence - taking out about 20' and 2 or 3 vertical posts - his insurance company is, however, sending us a check for $653 - don't know if I'll fix the damage myself or have a fence company do the work.....

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
the concrete will be set up and poured this coming week  :th_thicon_idea: - meantime the Wife and I have been busy everyday

after cutting the Goat Weed over 6 days/6 hours per day I unhitched the rotary cutter and hooked up the post hole digger - today we set five 5" round posts and installed a 12' metal Stock Gate - still have one post to set and install the 2-way gate latch - then the horizontal boards (5 total including the 2" top)

then a fellow didn't set his parking brake well and his car rolled down a driveway, across a road and thru our north pasture stock fence - taking out about 20' and 2 or 3 vertical posts - his insurance company is, however, sending us a check for $653 - don't know if I'll fix the damage myself or have a fence company do the work.....
Two questions. When I was a bird hunter large pastures of goat weed in the Texas hill country usually meant quail this time of year. Realize your aways from the hill country but did you see any quail or dove?
And are you the owner of a used, but slightly damaged, truck?
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 06:19:56 AM »
 :th_thicon_funny:  no, don't now own the guy's slightly used truck (car)

saw a few Quail and a good number of Doves while mowing - my neighbor has a small elongated lake, maybe 3 acres, and we periodically see small flocks of Geese on final approach to it

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 05:09:26 AM »
the framing and rebar were set yesterday for today's concrete pour (for the 4 Stall Barn) 10/12/18

the location is at the north end of our front 5 acre north/south running pasture - the Pond is over the fence on the right side of the pic - the near side of the site is the back of the Barn, the center aisle will be 12' wide and run the 36' from back to front - there will be two 12'x12' stalls on the left (dirt) and two on the right - 12'x12' Tack room on the left (in the pic) and 12'x12' Wash room opposite on the right (in the pic)

the Barn will be 36'x36' with a 12'x36' leanto on each side running from front to back (stalls, wash room, tack room are all 12'x12')

we use a carpet-like material over the dirt in the stalls (called Stall Saver) - it works much better than rubber matting as it allows moisture (Horse pee) to go thru it and into the ground - atop the Stall Saver we cover with Wood Shavings (bedding material) about 6" deep - which we clean out and put in new every 6 months - makes for a comfortable Stall and the Boys actually do lie down and sleep on it

as an add.....we have agreed on the sales price of our place down in Conroe - just signed the Sales Contract this morning (the 1st of many documents to be signed electronically via Docu Sign) - then the closing will be in Conroe - haven't seen a closing date as yet

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
mucho rain the past couple of days but the concrete guys were able to gitter done - looking at what will be the back of the Barn - the long stretch of concrete will be the center aisle (12'x36') - "wing" on the left will be the Tack Room (12'x12')- "wing" on the right the Wash Room (also 12'x12') - dirt left and right will be the stalls (12'x24')

Wife is traveling to Conroe manana - will visit our Boys (boarded at the Ferrier's place) - closing on the sale of our house there will be 25 Oct

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
The waiting is the hardest part -Tom Petty
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Ranger99

• Professional Target Hanger
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
 :th_thicon_funny:  no, don't now own the guy's slightly used truck (car)

saw a few Quail and a good number of Doves while mowing - my neighbor has a small elongated lake, maybe 3 acres, and we periodically see small flocks of Geese on final approach to it

used to be lots of bobwhite and such in that region when i was young (well. . .farther east a bit around Little Hope
and East Point)
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible