Author Topic: Rails on pistols  (Read 356 times)

Offline m5215

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
Rails on pistols
« on: September 09, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
For me this has been a double edged sword.  I typically don't like attaching things to my pistol but the rails can be a useful option in some cases and it seems that these redesigned frames with rails have a little more material in them so a little extra weight can be helpful.  When it comes to compact pistols I don't think rails are a good idea as it makes the pistol bulkier which is not a good thing for a small compact pistol in my opinion.  I had to do a bit of searching to buy one of the older non railed 92fs compact pistols new in box as they are out of production now.

How do you feel about pistols with rails and what have been your experiences with them?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Rails on pistols
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »
Depends on the gun - On a Beretta 92, I think the gun balances better without a rail. Most polymer guns have rails - it doesn't impact me 1 way or the other. I usually do not put anything on the rail.

On a 1911 - no rail looks better - but a rail can add to the weight of the gun, and reduces recoil when in 45 ACP

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »
It's an option.  No significant weight penalty if you don't use it.

I personally like some handguns to have a bit more weight on the front, and a rail makes that an easy fix.

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
On the large frame auto loaders I don't mind. My PMR 30, below, has both a red dot and and light attached and it shoots great. On the AR 15 style pistols with pistol braces I think rails are a necessity. Some are marketed now with both Picattnny  and MLOK rails on which I have taken full advantage of.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
I dont like hanging crap on my pistols.
With good night sights, I just dont need it.

The weight is no issue either way for recoil IMO.
but the bulk of the rail is for conceal carry.

I can feel the difference between a non rail CZ pcr and a CZ p-01, Same with a CZ 75 and CZ sp-01.  and the only real difference is the rail. I can feel the rail on my hip in the holster.

I have no use whatsoever for a picanny rail on a pistol, so dont want or need it.
I want my carry pistols sleek as possible..

I am thankful my Beretta 92's DONT have  rails. They are already large enough.

Now on varmintor rifles, different story. I like a SMALL rail to hang a laser/light night sight on. Buts thats my only real use for a picanny rail. And if they dont have a rail, no big deal, just barrel mount it with a rubber clamp..
I even have smooth handguards on my m4's and m16's.

However, Some of the "tacticool" guys like hanging every ounce of shit they can find on their stuff, so they think they are a wonderful invention.  :P  :th_nuts:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »
All of my plastic rifles and pistol caliber carbines are fitted with an aftermarket light, red dot or scope and a vertical fore grip. Not tacticool but cool none the less.  :thumbsup1:
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
I find them useful.

Gone are the days of trying to open barns/fences/pens and everything else with a gun in one hand and flashlight in another. 
Do I want them on every gun? No, but I kinda like em.

Offline Ranger99

• 3 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 02:48:40 PM »
just me but i don't care for any extra stuff on my firearms.
a modest scope is about it for me.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline pistolpete

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
I don't even have a train, don't want no stinking rail.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
Rails on guns are kinda like the curvaceous parts of women. 
Some like rails on guns and big curves, while others just like everything flat.
:scream3: :scream3: :scream3: