Author Topic: Do you remember your 1st gun.  (Read 698 times)

Offline Ricochet

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • Gun Shop Vulture
    • View Profile
Do you remember your 1st gun.
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »
Was digging in the back of one of my safes looking for something and came across my first ever gun that I purchased.  I was 8 years old and my dad told me that If I saved up the money he would pay the tax.  Mine was a 1978 Colt New Frontier Single action .22.  Still have the original receipt, 40 years later.  Gun was $52.00 with 5% tax (lol) total of $54.60.  I bet I have 100K rounds trough that little pistol.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:34:23 PM by Ricochet »

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: Do yo rmember your 1st gun.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
The first gun I ever fired was a Colt Python that was dad's service revolver when he was a peace officer for the Lubbock County P.D.

The first gun I "owned" was a CZ-75 mom (reluctantly) bought me.

The first I actually bought was an AK-47 from the now-long defunct scam artist company Lancaster Arms.

I still have my first shell casing in a drawer somewhere, and my first target is pinned to my bedroom wall to this day.

Offline Shield45

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 06:48:41 AM »
Other than BB guns my first real gun shot was my Dads .22 Winchester pump. My first was bought by him it was a .22 single shot from Sears. Its a Winchester as far as mfg.

My first purchase was a Winchester model 70 30-30 that was basically nib I bought from a in need of cash buddy in 1980 for 50 bucks.

Still have um all.

Will likely shoot the .22s later today at the land.

The lil pump is one of my favorite shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
My first was a Glock 17 I bought when I was 21 (1993). It jammed all the damn time. I sent it back to Glock once, and it still jammed all the time. I had others shoot it as well.

I finally traded in the gun at a gun store towards a Glock 19, which did work
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:08:06 PM by Shipwreck »

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
.410 Western Auto single shot shotgun.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:38:06 PM by TXAZ »

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
Bought it at Gibson's Discount store for $33 in 1964. A Marlin Glenfield Model 60 semi auto .22 with a 17 rd. tubular magazine. Saved up my cutting lawn money (a push mower no gas engine) and soda bottles. My father had to buy it and he probably kicked in a few bucks. I had friends with .22's but they were all bolt action. They were in awe of such a fine piece of weaponry. I passed it down to my son who passed it down his son so it's still in the family.
My first big boy gun was a 9 mm S&W Model 59 bought for $200 in 1971. I believe this was the first American made double stack semi auto. Couldn't shoot it worth a darn but I still liked it. I was in the military then and shot it on weekends at the post Rod and Gun Club range where it got a lot of ooh's and ahh's. Traded it to a SF Captain when he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
back in the 50s I was given a sawed off 12ga pump that had no stock and was said to have been "used" in some sort of Texas "uprising" years before

welded a metal "fore grip" on it and carved a pistol grip outta wood - the only time we (my buddies and I) ever shot it was when we tied it to a tree and put a piece of string around the trigger - looked wicked but was good for nothing - if I remember correctly the end of the shell was only about 1/2" from the end of the barrel

1st gun I bought was from my parents friend, who's Husband had died - it's an 1862 "Crown" Cap and Ball British Black Powder rifle from the Civil war era - used to shoot it quite often - also acquired in the '50s - my Son has it now - the Replica Museum at Ft Bliss Tx has the same rifle on display (or did, back in the day)

bought a .22 magnum rifle in my teens but don't recall what it was - bolt action - think my Son has that one too (?)

in "modern day" my 1st handgun was the E German Makarov that my FIL gave to me - he had refinished it with what he called a "Black Chrome" - one of my prized firearm possessions
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »
The first gun I bought was a Colt Frontier Scout all chromed with walnut grips.
The next one was a Remington Nylon 66, sweet little semi auto.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline randyjaco

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 06:43:56 PM »
My first gun was a Remington Sportsman 58 12ga shotgun. The first gun I bought was a Browning Nomad 22 cal pistol I bought for $35. I still have both of them. They both have had a lot of use, but are active shooters.
Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline m5215

• Range Rat
  • Pistoleer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »
My first firearm was a Browning Hi-Power Mk.III which I purchased new in box when I was 21 back in 1992 and was in the USAF.  Shortly after that I got a Beretta 92FS which I ended up liking a lot more than the Hi-Power.  I still have that Hi-Power which to date is in mint condition with only about 100 rounds fired through it.  Now that FN/Browning is no longer producing the Hi-Power it is probably going to be worth a bit more especially in the condition mine is in.
Beretta M92 (step slide)
Beretta M92S
Beretta M92D
Beretta M92FS
Beretta M92FS Inox (Ghost)
Beretta M92FS (1992 Police Special)
Beretta M92 Compact L
Beretta M92FS Centurion
Beretta M92A1 Brigadier (custom)
Beretta M9A2 (custom)

Offline Geoman

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 08:57:23 PM »
My first pistol was a S&W 669; bought it in 1987 for I think $469.  Great pistol and I would still have it, except I was transferred overseas to countries that frown on personal weapons.  And the friend I left it with had fire in his house and guess what was lost?

Replaced it with my second pistol, a model 6906.  Great little Gen3 S&W pistol.  But I shot the 669 with its DAO better than the 6906 DA/SA.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
Glenfield 22 lr bolt action model 20 w/ 4 X scope &  a groundhog carved into the stock.

I believe it was bought at Montgomery Wards for about $60.

Got it for Christmas the year I turned 11.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
Glenfield 25 ... mag fed bolt action ... recently reacquired from my father.

Offline SomeDude

• Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
A Taurus .45 I bought super cheap at a gunshow in 2001 when I was living in Fort Myers, FL in a shitty apartment complex.

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »
My first gun was an H&R 686. 5 1/2" barrel 22LR/22 Magnum convertible revolver. Looked like a single action but was double/single. $129 at Walmart in 1981, Wichita Falls, just as a new indoor range opened. Imagine crushing a walnut behind the trigger. That was the DA pull. Seemed to vary between 15-20+ pounds. Single action felt like 10-12 pounds & nearly as gritty. Couldn't hit squat. But good cheap fun. Replaced it with a Dan Wesson 6" 22LR around '83 & that's the gun I learned to shoot with. Wonderful trigger SA or DA. Soon after, Ruger Speed Six 4" 38 special, etc..
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Marlin 795 .22

Offline ArmedTexan

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 07:19:45 PM »
My first gun that I shot was a Remington 870 in 20 gauge, I think I was 10 or 11 years old. Both of my kids first gun was a single shot .22 LR when they were 7 years old.
I call my AR-15 Anne; she's pretty and likes to accessorize. My AK-47 is known as Frank, he won't stop no matter how dirty he is. Oh and when the gov't comes look'n for 'em, they be hid'n in the attic!