Author Topic: Got a new Microsoft Surface Go last night  (Read 749 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Got a new Microsoft Surface Go last night
« on: August 16, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
I was looking for another laptop device to supplement my main laptop for a while now... I end up turning my main laptop on/off 5-6x a day, quite often. Many times, I just want to browse the web or do something else for just a few minutes. But, I wanted something with a REAL keyboard. I have a Samsung S2 tablet (like an Ipad), and it can be annoying to type something long without a real keyboard and mouse.

I tried a cheap, colored HP laptop, but I returned it to WalMart. I saw why it was so cheap... The monitor SUCKED. It was so washed out that I got a headache just setting up Windows. I returned it back to WalMart like 1 hour later...

I kinda wanted something without a physical hard drive - just SSD. Since it would get shut off and on quite a lot. I started looking at cheaper laptops, but did not really like the screens/resolution on most of them. I had read about the new MS Surface Go about a month ago. It just came out earlier this month.

It was much cheaper than the other surface tablets, and it uses Windows 10 AND can actually use a mouse. I read good things about the keyboard as well... I went to Office Depot and Best Buy last night. I started to play around with one at Best Buy. I asked several questions, and I ended up getting one. I got the keyboard with it, and a separate device to plug into the USB Type C plug. Now, I can hook it to the TV via HDMI if I want, and I have 2 USB ports.

I've put it next to my laptop at home, and I can use the fullsize keyboard and mouse on it, when I just want to use the internet. And, if I have bills to pay or something else, then I can use my main laptop.

I am going to buy a bluetooth mouse tonight, so I don't have to keep moving the little plug for the wireless mouse back and forth. If you remove the keyboard, it works just like a normal, touchscreen tablet as well. :)

So, cool combo of an actual Windows 10 laptop and a tablet. It comes with MS Office for free too.

I think it's pretty cool. Here is a pic of it (photo is not at home)

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Got a new Microsoft Surface Go last night
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:29:54 PM »
You sir, are like a psychic!
I was just talking about dumping the laptop for a tablet with my boys. 
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay?  Any regrets so far?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »

It was $399, plus $129 for the keyboard.

Be aware that as it comes, you can only install apps from the MS Store. It has built in antivirus and a firewall. You CAN pay an extra $100 to get a normal version of windows unlocked. THEN, you could install anything you want. For me, this is no issue - I have my main laptop PC for taxes, checkbook, photoshop, etc. So, I am fine with the restrictions.

I bought this to take the load off my main PC.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:59:46 PM »
Which specific keyboard did you get?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »
Which specific keyboard did you get?

I got the one that works with the device. I forget the actual name - but it is the only one that works with the device. They sell it right next to the tablets.

It comes in like 4 colors. It was set up in the store with this particular color - so, I liked the color. However, I have a normal, fullsize USB keyboard that I have plugged into it, to do most of my typing.

It comes in that wine color (I forget the actual name), black and cobolt blue. And, maybe 1 other color - I forget.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »

The more I use this Surface Go, the more I love the sheer size of it. A fill Windows 10 computer with a keyboard the size of an ipad is awesome. And now I have a bluetooth mouse. And, the more I use the included keyboard, the more I am tempted to not plug in my fullsize keyboard when I am at home.

Yesterday, I went and got a smaller bag to keep it in. I do not need a huge laptop backpack like I use for my regular laptop.

I have been in San Antonio this weekend, and when I do want to use the computer, this thing is so much easier and faster to get going than taking out a normal laptop.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
I ended up returning the 64GB SD card for it, and got a 128GB SD card last night instead.

I installed my checkbook program, and a few other programs that I initially did not think I would . I don't think I will be using my regular laptop that much.

Instead of getting the NHL package thru Dish Network this year, I plan to get it thru the NHL website. With this Surface, I plan to stream the games thru the surface onto my tv via HDMI.  :th_thicon_idea: