Author Topic: Longest Handgun shot you've made: Target or hunting  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Handgun shot you've made: Target or hunting
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »

... I need a scope to see a target at the 100yrd line now-a-days!     

Or a bigger target:  :auto: :)

(but not a building)

Why am I not surprised that you put that up TXAZ?  :rocknroll2:

When Target moved into Dallas in the late 60's / early 70's, they had their big sign along the 635 loop.  The school bus I rode went by it every day.  After a few weeks, we noticed there were some holes in it (both sides).  They fixed it.  Same thing a few weeks later.  Not long after that there was an article in the newspaper about Target moving to town and they'd appreciate it if people would not shoot at their sign.   
(It wasn't me, the school bus driver wouldn't let me bring Boomer onto the bus)  :scream3:

But Boomer isn't a handgun TXAZ. Just saying!  :th_thicon_lol: :wave1: :th_thicon_funny:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »

But Boomer isn't a handgun TXAZ. Just saying!  :th_thicon_lol: :wave1: :th_thicon_funny:

Sho nuff  :th_thicon_funny:

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
I once took a two day handgun class from Combative Weapon Solutions at a range in Bastrop, it was a great class and I'd love to take more classes from them, but I think they mostly focus on other things now (you can see their website here: https://tacticalfirearmstrainingaustin.com/)

Anyway, on day two they had us line up in front of the targets (standard IDPA silhouettes) about 25 yards away. The guy in the front would shoot 10 rounds, them move to the back of the line. It was sorta like a reverse leap frog, every time it was your turn to shoot you'd be about 10 yards further back. We did this until we got to 100 yards. We *all* hit it, I could not believe I could hit a man sized target at 100 yards with my Glock 19 and Trijicon HD sights, but I did!

It got crazier though, they took us out to 150 yards and gave everyone a chance to hit a metal gong that was about the size of a car door. It took me 5 shots but I heard that steel ring!
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
Many times people do confuse barrel length with being accurate at longer distances. That is not always true. The bigger issue is the shorter sight radius, making longer shots difficult many times.

Jerry Miculek did some testing and shooting with a revolver in 9mm, hitting a target at over 900 yards away. Once he got the aiming down, he was ringing the steel!
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
Yeah, I mention the G19 and the sights because if you've ever seen Trijicon HD night sights, they're huge. They're meant for quick acquisition for self defense situations at close range. At 100 yards the front post was larger than the target!

So short radius and sub-optimal sights!

I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »
S&W 500 @ 125 yards
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"