Author Topic: How much better are IDPA et al participants than the rest of us?  (Read 4476 times)

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Just curious, was at the range yesterday and shot a nice pattern with the .44 and 9mm.  There was a guy in another lane that was starting IDPA.
Question to Dom and you other tactical wizards, how much better do average and above average IDPA guys shoot than the rest of us?

Is it faster on target, more precise, or what?

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: How much better are IDPA et al participants than the rest of us?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
Anyone of any skill level can start out with IDPA/USPSA/etc, as long as they can be safe.
I would say that newer competitive shooters are going to be about equal to the average gun owner who actually gets out and shoots a few times a year at least.
Most will get to the top 30% of gun owners within a year of competitive shooting, even if only competing in local club matches as little as once a month.
Pretty much anyone who shoots competitively for years will be in the top 10% of gun owners.

Now, the above average competitors, such as B or higher USPSA or Expert IDPA classifications are going to be better than 95% of gun owners.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:31:27 AM »
Idpa peeps are just better at following rules.. :)

All competition teaches u skills that are advantageous for the street.

Offline Psyc

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
I don't shoot in organized competitions.
But frequent the range with some who do.
In general they seem to be quicker on target, smaller groups, and clearly outshoot most officers short of SWAT team members.
A few also seem to fire much faster and more accurately than the range allows during public sessions (1 second per shot).
I would also expect a very poor outcome for muggers and car jackers who unwittingly target IDPA shooters on the street. :)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
would guess it's probably like anything else.....shoot hoops in your driveway but the guy who's into an organized league will be a better basketball player.....a couple of rounds of golf per month guy will probably get beat by the fellow who plays a couple of times a week and enters every tournament he can get in to.....find a good road to wring-out your sports car but get lapped by every mini on Track Day at the local circuit
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline 45guy

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
you know Dom it seems when I watch pros shoot a match on tv they have these sooped up race guns and that is not realistic to me, most people don't have that at bedside and I have never seen a soldier with a fancy up gun. I enjoy watching but they need it more reel but that can't happen I guess cause it would put custom guns out of business... just my opinion :th_thicon_question:

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 11:37:54 PM »
you know Dom it seems when I watch pros shoot a match on tv they have these sooped up race guns and that is not realistic to me, most people don't have that at bedside and I have never seen a soldier with a fancy up gun. I enjoy watching but they need it more reel but that can't happen I guess cause it would put custom guns out of business... just my opinion :th_thicon_question:

There are different organizations, and even divisions to choose from.
USPSA is where you see the race guns, but there are still a lot more shooters using "production" type pistols.
IDPA doesn't allow for race guns, but you can have a production gun with some changes like a small mag-well and after-market trigger.
In both, you could take a factory Glock/M&P/XD/Sig/etc and be competitive if you are good.
In both, you could spend $5k and end up at the bottom of the results.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
I went to a few USPSA matches with Dom and Tarosean a couple years ago...
 I used a Glock 17 with straight 8 style sights.

I just live too far away to go on a regular basis.

Offline BCGlocker

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
    • El Paso License to Carry
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:08:40 AM »
Anyone of any skill level can start out with IDPA/USPSA/etc, as long as they can be safe.
I would say that newer competitive shooters are going to be about equal to the average gun owner who actually gets out and shoots a few times a year at least.
Most will get to the top 30% of gun owners within a year of competitive shooting, even if only competing in local club matches as little as once a month.
Pretty much anyone who shoots competitively for years will be in the top 10% of gun owners.

Now, the above average competitors, such as B or higher USPSA or Expert IDPA classifications are going to be better than 95% of gun owners.

I have been competing (IDPA and IPSC) for 30+ years. I agree with the above statement.  Although I am currently ranked as a Master but I have slowed down at least 25% as I am now 65 years old. My current speed is about B class.  Luckily for me, once I received my highest ranking (20+ years ago), they will not "demote" anyone.
NRA Life Member
IDPA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Texas LTC Instructor