Author Topic: purifying your drinking water  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Professional Target Hanger
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
purifying your drinking water
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
i'm wondering who has real experience with using common inexpensive chemicals
to purify their drinking water while out in the bush, like common bleach or iodine
as used for first aid? what ratio of chemical did you use? was there any off taste ?

JFG in this situation you'd be afoot and not have time to use any kind of filter or
filtering straw. there'd be a dozen or so smelly zombies after you, and bigfoot would
be after you too, but he hurt his leg and can't run after you, and you can't shoot
any rounds because you fell down the creek bank and plugged your gun barrel
tight with mud. you only have time to dip your canteen in the creek and fill it and put
whatever chemical in in and be back on your way because you see bigfoot rounding the
bend on his way after you, and he is really P.O.ed
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: purifying your drinking water
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
Used to do alot of hiking in mountains / desert.
Iodine and chlorine work, but can be problematic.

Aquatabs and other effervescent tabs solves the problem by using a halogen that bubbles, and is for a specific amount of water, so you don't over or under treat the water. Like 1 tab for your 1 liter canteen.

BUT, that just kills bugs.  If the water has pesticides, petroleum components or other 'crap' in it, you're still drinking that.

But since Boomer is always with me, I'm happy to wait for BigFoot, I hear he's tasty when roasted.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »
When I was hiking around Pike's Peak a few years ago I came across this sign.

I was prepared for such a scenario so I dropped my ruck and retrieved my equalizer. It wasn't long before I had to put it to use:

Sorry I couldn't help myself. I can't help you with the water purification. Eons ago, when I was in the military, we were issued water purification tablets. I wouldn't wish that sh** on anyone.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
unless i'm mistaken, the sasquatches can drink from outdoor water
sources that would sicken a regular human homo sapiens type.
i'd imagine they'd need a lot of water to drink after eating all that beef jerky

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
Im thinkin if Im standing in a creek bed with BOTH bigfoot AND zombies after me,,
Im prolly going to "poop" in that water thus making it a "schitcrick", and wont be wanting to drink from it anyway.

So trying to purify it while running and pooping is kinda a moot point.  :thinker:

Gonna be about the LAST thing Im worried about.  :afraid4:

Im gonna throw down a bag of jerky as chum, TRIP anyone with me, and run like hell.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:18:22 PM by DCD327 »
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
Seriously though.

I just spent two days laying in the hospital with an infected colon/guts/ stomach.

Last week we ate at a restraunt and I drank a couple sips of water that tasted funny, so I didnt drink anymore after I tasted it.

About last Thursday I got to not feeling well and got a sick belly ache type feeling. By Saturday night I was in complete agony type stomach pain. After going to the ER Monday, they admitted me and started antibiiotic IV.s.

AFTER setting up all last night drinking a colonoscopy prep, they did a scope from both ends this morning and it was nothing inside of me. ( which was GOOD to know). So they discharges me with a script of penicillin.

But the Dr's think it was something in some water I drank.
Ive never experience pain or the spasms it caused like that in my life. 

So making sure WHATEVER water you drink is OK is a pretty serious issue.
Better check and double check whatever system you are using WORKS.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:18 PM »
Damn dude. I hope you feel better soon!

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:40 PM »
^^^^Ditto!

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »
Damn dude. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Guys.

Im pretty good tonight. No excruciating pain,,which is a plus. The muscle spasms were the worst. It literally felt like someone was jamming a DULL screw driver through my guts from the front. Just sitting around,  harrassing people on here, eatin yogurt.

Ive got a bladder infection twice in my life from bad city water. Usually, soon as you realize it, I just start drinking cranberry juice. That stuff will kill just about any bacteria in ur gut. But it wouldnt work this time. ( we have spring water at home , and the wife is fine, so it wasnt ours, but we took a test sample in today anyway. )

Several of the Dr's wanted to know WHERE I drank water at. I suspect they know exactly what caused it, and just didnt really want to say. But it was city water.

This one just kinda got outta hand somehow and somehow got all through my colon and gut.. Prolly too much information, but I had pink koolaide coming out my rear end.

On the BRIGHT side, it got me my OWN PRIVATE room with a nice view for 2 days.  :thumbsup1:
I got to re-read a good book on Vietnam undisturbed.  :th_thicon_idea:
My one nurse made me realize I DONT really need viagara.    :rocknroll2:
And the wife FINALLY had to feed the dogs.  :th_thicon_funny:

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:22 PM »
In 10th grade, I had food poisoning and spent 1 week in the hospital (1988). It was horrible.

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:33:02 AM »
In the scenario provided, there really isn't a perfect way.

You are probably going to end up with an off taste with either chlorine or iodine,
and if you are doing it with household products, you better know the correct amounts to use.

Best solution would be to have the chemicals in tablet form.

Honestly, in your scenario, I would opt for a wide mouth canteen and a $20 lifestraw,
or a lifestraw go bottle.
=and in a third world country where viruses are rampant, that is still not a safe solution

Offline Ranger99

• God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
In the scenario provided, there really isn't a perfect way.

You are probably going to end up with an off taste with either chlorine or iodine,
and if you are doing it with household products, you better know the correct amounts to use.

exactly ^ ^ ^
that's the main reason for my inquiry. to see if anyone might have had any real world experience.
a lot of the articles i've read, and videos i've watched all seem as if they're quoting from some
old 1950's literature when it comes to securing a supply of potable water. i even have a couple
of  the older books that still declare "running water through 30 feet of gravel or rock" is safe water.
i have used some of the old tablets, but i was mainly interested about "what if. . ." i didn't have
any more tablets and had 2% iodine and common laundry bleach available.
just me, i've had a couple of those straws some years back and don't really care for them.
they work, but the effort to draw a decent gulp of water through one is too much for me.
i have a couple of filters, but i was more interested in being prepared for the time (if it comes)
that i couldn't use one for whatever reason.
i have some potable aqua tablets, and some of the other ones (aquamira ?) but the day may
come when everyone won't be able to stop off at wally world or rei and replenish their supply
of purifying chemical and won't have the slack time to boil because you're too busy trying to
hoof it to a safe place. (don't forget squatch is on your trail )

Offline Texas@Last

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »
Glad you are on the mend!

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »
DITTO.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 07:04:48 AM »
I have used bleach, boiled water and used those water purification tablets.

It really depends on the source water, but I have never been overly happy with the results.

I got some bad water while I was in the army, and it's been following me around since the 1970's.

I believe it was Andrew jackson that had a similar experience with bad water that he never really felt like he ever got over.

Offline HKaltwasser

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »
I don't have first hand experience with it but have done a lot of research on it. After using the bleach you're supposed to shake it and leave the top open for 24hrs if possible to let the bleach taste evaporate. I'm not sure if it works though, maybe it's time to try myself. I have several Lifestaws and Sawyer filters for this situation.

I run a whole house rainwater collection and we have a UV light that sterilizes and then a 2 stage filtration unit with a thrd portable charcoal filter for drinking water.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
National Boy Scouts did a detailed analysis of water purification for their High adventure camps  ~10 years ago.
The Aqua tabs won hands down. These are the fizzie tabs that purify 1 liter of water in about 5 minutes. 

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 01:16:32 PM »
National Boy Scouts did a detailed analysis of water purification for their High adventure camps  ~10 years ago.
The Aqua tabs won hands down. These are the fizzie tabs that purify 1 liter of water in about 5 minutes.

Yummy yummy  :thumbsup1:

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »

Yummy yummy  :thumbsup1:
Just remember to put them in 1 liter of water, not your mouth. :)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »

Just remember to put them in 1 liter of water, not your mouth. :)

Damn, you spoiled all my fun  :th_thicon_lol: