Author Topic: Where's the Movie Thread?  (Read 235 times)

Offline K-Texas

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • 36th Generation Viking!
    • View Profile
Where's the Movie Thread?
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
I can't remember which member it was now since it's been a few days, but there are a number of quotes from, The Outlaw Josie Wales in his sig line. I guess it worked subliminally cause I watched it last night!

What a trivia game we could have with that one!

But it got me thinking about Clint's Westerns; which one I saw first, the one that made a real impression and which is my favorite?

I believe the first one I saw was at a Clint Eastwood night in the mid 70s at the double drive-in on Telephone Road in Houston: For a Few Dollars More. I think the next one was High Plains Drifter, and somewhere along the line I saw the others like Hang 'Em High, Fistful of  . . . The Good the Bad and . . .

But my particular favorite? That would be . . . Pale Rider! Kind of like the opposite of High Plains Drifter. I like all of the others and have a few in my DVD collection. Not that I don't like Unforgiven, but The Outlaw Josie Wells is probably #2 for me.

So how do you rank them, or any other great Western?

If we talk about The Duke, I'll tell you without hesitation tht my favorite was his last, The Shootist. It was almost surreal in his character portrayal of an aged gunfighter dying of cancer as the Duke was while making the movie!

Tell us what you think!  :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the Movie Thread?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:20:25 PM »
2 mules for Sister Sarah was my first Clint Eastwood movie. "Paint your wagon" was so off the wall I need to rewatch that one. My favorite is "The good the bad and the ugly" followed up by "Pale Rider"

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
away from his Westerns ..... but I'm tired of his Dirty Harry movies - they're like me = "old and out of date"

I do want to see his 15:17 to Paris (when it comes out on Redbox DVD - I'm cheap and refuse to pay theater prices..)

thought Million Dollar Baby was excellent and did watch Gran Torino twice
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shield45

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:46:21 AM »
Unforgiven

Pale rider

Hang um high

Gran Torino

No country for old men

Clint has a wide range as
Far as acting skills and he usually pulls off a pretty good character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:36:31 AM »
Josey Wales was his first I seen. Love it.

Eastwood " Its always like that. Bout the time I gittin to likin someone, they aint around long"
Chief john George- " I noticed when you get to dis liking someone, they aint around long either". :thumbsup1:

Good, Bad, & Ugly is my favorite.

Eli Wallach should have won an Oscar for his performance, but since it was a "spaghetti western" hollywood wouldnt acknowledge the Spain made movies as they refused to play the "click" in hollywood.

One of the best Westerns, possibly giving Good, Bad, ugly a run for its money is
"Once upon a time in the west", Also a Sergio Leone written movie, made for Eastwood & Wallach, but it layed on a shelf until Eli Wallach encouraged Leone to make it with whoever he could get.  Eastwood and Wallach were both under studio contracts and couldnt get released to do OUTIW.  Leone said he wouldnt make  it then, unless he could get Henry Fonda.  Fonda refused. Leone also wanted Charles Bronson, ( who Good Bad & Ugly was actually wrote for, but when Bronson refused to do GBU,, Leone got Eastwood, making him a star.

So when "Once upon a time in the west"  was wrote for Eastwood , Wallach & Colburn, they couldnt do it, So leone ask Bronson again. Bronson said no again. Eli Wallach wanted Leone to do the movie, so Wallach talked Fonda into doing it. Once Bronson found out Fonda was in, he said he would also do it since he also wanted to do a movie with Fonda. ( Fonda and Leone BOTH said later that Bronson was one of the best and most proffessional actors they ever worked with)
 That left Leone to get James Colburn to play the bad guy role ( the same role as Tuco from GBU) . Colburn demanded top billing and  too much money, and had a reputation for being a prima donna and pain in the ass to work with, so Fonda recommended Jason Robards to play "Cheyenne, ( the role meant for TUCO. ).
Leone was so excited to get Fonda and Bronson, he took Fonda's recommendation to use Robards. .

Once upon a time in the west was supposed to be kinda like a GBU Part 2, with the same roles. But since all different actors were used, the names were all changed.

Blondie- Harmonica, ---- Eastwood & Bronson
Tuco -  Cheyenne. ---- Wallach & Robards
Angel Eyes- Frank.  ----  Van Cleef   & Fonda

BOTH Awesome movies IMO.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »
I can't think of being able to take the time to watch movies.

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Never pay full retail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Can't remember the first Clint Eastwood movie I saw, but The Outlaw Josey Wales is definately one of my favorites.
Granny Hawkins: So, you'll be Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: Now, how might you know that, Granny?

Granny Hawkins: Soldiers were here looking for you 'bout two hours ago.

[Josey looks at Carstairs]

Sim Carstairs: Uh, I was goin' to mention that to you... as soon as I got the chance.

Granny Hawkins: They say you killed your own men.

Jamie: Those lying, blue-scum bellies...

Granny Hawkins: They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?

Josey Wales: What's that?

Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.

[Walks off]

Granny Hawkins: You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: I reckon so.

As for The Duke, I don't know that he made any movies that I don't like.

One of my favorites is "The Undefeated".

Col. James Langdon: When I find the time, I'm going to write the social history of bourbon.
In Texas, "He needed killin' " is a defense to prosecution.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • .50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 Thrill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
If you haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, it was an impressive story of how a conscientious objector medic saved many lives in WWII.

Offline K-Texas

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • 36th Generation Viking!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
If you haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, it was an impressive story of how a conscientious objector medic saved many lives in WWII.

I have the DVD, It is a truly outstanding story!

I can't think of being able to take the time to watch movies.

It's not that hard when you don't turn on the TV for anything else, Well, except football!  :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »

GREAT movie. Based on facts. Any prejudice in the movie was know as a fact for that time period, and an integral part of Pvt Doss's life.

A pretty incredible story of bravery and determination  in its own right just reading the historical facts.

I REALLY like the fact that Gibson  didnt put the latest  hollywood liberal political/racial  spin on the film.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".