Author Topic: Where's the Movie Thread?  (Read 880 times)

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
Where's the Movie Thread?
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
I can't remember which member it was now since it's been a few days, but there are a number of quotes from, The Outlaw Josie Wales in his sig line. I guess it worked subliminally cause I watched it last night!

What a trivia game we could have with that one!

But it got me thinking about Clint's Westerns; which one I saw first, the one that made a real impression and which is my favorite?

I believe the first one I saw was at a Clint Eastwood night in the mid 70s at the double drive-in on Telephone Road in Houston: For a Few Dollars More. I think the next one was High Plains Drifter, and somewhere along the line I saw the others like Hang 'Em High, Fistful of  . . . The Good the Bad and . . .

But my particular favorite? That would be . . . Pale Rider! Kind of like the opposite of High Plains Drifter. I like all of the others and have a few in my DVD collection. Not that I don't like Unforgiven, but The Outlaw Josie Wells is probably #2 for me.

So how do you rank them, or any other great Western?

If we talk about The Duke, I'll tell you without hesitation tht my favorite was his last, The Shootist. It was almost surreal in his character portrayal of an aged gunfighter dying of cancer as the Duke was while making the movie!

Tell us what you think!  :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the Movie Thread?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:20:25 PM »
2 mules for Sister Sarah was my first Clint Eastwood movie. "Paint your wagon" was so off the wall I need to rewatch that one. My favorite is "The good the bad and the ugly" followed up by "Pale Rider"

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
away from his Westerns ..... but I'm tired of his Dirty Harry movies - they're like me = "old and out of date"

I do want to see his 15:17 to Paris (when it comes out on Redbox DVD - I'm cheap and refuse to pay theater prices..)

thought Million Dollar Baby was excellent and did watch Gran Torino twice
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shield45

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:46:21 AM »
Unforgiven

Pale rider

Hang um high

Gran Torino

No country for old men

Clint has a wide range as
Far as acting skills and he usually pulls off a pretty good character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:36:31 AM »
Josey Wales was his first I seen. Love it.

Eastwood " Its always like that. Bout the time I gittin to likin someone, they aint around long"
Chief john George- " I noticed when you get to dis liking someone, they aint around long either". :thumbsup1:

Good, Bad, & Ugly is my favorite.

Eli Wallach should have won an Oscar for his performance, but since it was a "spaghetti western" hollywood wouldnt acknowledge the Spain made movies as they refused to play the "click" in hollywood.

One of the best Westerns, possibly giving Good, Bad, ugly a run for its money is
"Once upon a time in the west", Also a Sergio Leone written movie, made for Eastwood & Wallach, but it layed on a shelf until Eli Wallach encouraged Leone to make it with whoever he could get.  Eastwood and Wallach were both under studio contracts and couldnt get released to do OUTIW.  Leone said he wouldnt make  it then, unless he could get Henry Fonda.  Fonda refused. Leone also wanted Charles Bronson, ( who Good Bad & Ugly was actually wrote for, but when Bronson refused to do GBU,, Leone got Eastwood, making him a star.

So when "Once upon a time in the west"  was wrote for Eastwood , Wallach & Colburn, they couldnt do it, So leone ask Bronson again. Bronson said no again. Eli Wallach wanted Leone to do the movie, so Wallach talked Fonda into doing it. Once Bronson found out Fonda was in, he said he would also do it since he also wanted to do a movie with Fonda. ( Fonda and Leone BOTH said later that Bronson was one of the best and most proffessional actors they ever worked with)
 That left Leone to get James Colburn to play the bad guy role ( the same role as Tuco from GBU) . Colburn demanded top billing and  too much money, and had a reputation for being a prima donna and pain in the ass to work with, so Fonda recommended Jason Robards to play "Cheyenne, ( the role meant for TUCO. ).
Leone was so excited to get Fonda and Bronson, he took Fonda's recommendation to use Robards. .

Once upon a time in the west was supposed to be kinda like a GBU Part 2, with the same roles. But since all different actors were used, the names were all changed.

Blondie- Harmonica, ---- Eastwood & Bronson
Tuco -  Cheyenne. ---- Wallach & Robards
Angel Eyes- Frank.  ----  Van Cleef   & Fonda

BOTH Awesome movies IMO.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »
I can't think of being able to take the time to watch movies.

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Can't remember the first Clint Eastwood movie I saw, but The Outlaw Josey Wales is definately one of my favorites.
Granny Hawkins: So, you'll be Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: Now, how might you know that, Granny?

Granny Hawkins: Soldiers were here looking for you 'bout two hours ago.

[Josey looks at Carstairs]

Sim Carstairs: Uh, I was goin' to mention that to you... as soon as I got the chance.

Granny Hawkins: They say you killed your own men.

Jamie: Those lying, blue-scum bellies...

Granny Hawkins: They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?

Josey Wales: What's that?

Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.

[Walks off]

Granny Hawkins: You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: I reckon so.

As for The Duke, I don't know that he made any movies that I don't like.

One of my favorites is "The Undefeated".

Col. James Langdon: When I find the time, I'm going to write the social history of bourbon.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
If you haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, it was an impressive story of how a conscientious objector medic saved many lives in WWII.

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
If you haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, it was an impressive story of how a conscientious objector medic saved many lives in WWII.

I have the DVD, It is a truly outstanding story!

I can't think of being able to take the time to watch movies.

It's not that hard when you don't turn on the TV for anything else, Well, except football!  :icon_wink:

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »

GREAT movie. Based on facts. Any prejudice in the movie was know as a fact for that time period, and an integral part of Pvt Doss's life.

A pretty incredible story of bravery and determination  in its own right just reading the historical facts.

I REALLY like the fact that Gibson  didnt put the latest  hollywood liberal political/racial  spin on the film.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »
If you have access to Turner Classic Movies, they have 3 days of war movies on this weekend.  So Is AMC.
The original 1944 version of "Memphis Belle", 12 O'clock High, and many more.

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »
I'm likely right before (or barely too young on average) these movies are interesting.  Then again, as stated, movie watching seems like a time luxury I don't try to afford.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
If you have access to Turner Classic Movies, they have 3 days of war movies on this weekend.  So Is AMC.
The original 1944 version of "Memphis Belle", 12 O'clock High, and many more.

just finished watching a very comprehensive show about WWII (Pacific and Europe) on the History Channel - called something like "WWII view from satellite" (or something like that) - the best presentation I've ever seen

also was amazed by the fact that Eisenhower had zero combat experience

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
Ike was an Administrator.  Which at the time, with all the different countries involved in WW2, and all the politics and fancy juggling that needed done to keep EVERYONE on the same page, made him the perfect choice. He was actually appointed top European commander by Roosevelt, because Roosevelt knew Churchill liked Ike. He was a great diplomat.

# 2 General Bradley also had no combat experience until Sicily, and only as a commander. But the men loved him. He genuinely cared about the welfare of his troops. And shunned any limelight. IMHO, He was also an administrator, which was also needed to juggle several Armys and umpteen Generals. Again, he was the right man for the job.

The only Generals we really had that did posses ALOT of combat experience was Hodges and Patton.

Hodges was a Private in WW 1 and won a battlefield commission.
He was exceptionally smart, but his family lacked any political resources to get him into West Point. He spent much of the 1930's educating himself through the Armys war college.
Bradley stated that Courtney Hodges was the best General we had that nobody ever heard of. He also totally shunned any limelight. Once ORDERED by Ike to allow the press corps into his head quarters, ( Ike thought the US needed MORE good press), Hodges allowed them in , as ORDERED, but HE wasnt there. And didnt come back until they left.

And of course, EVERYONE knows about Prima Donna Patton.  Glory seeking Old Blood and guts.
The soldiers blood, Pattons guts.
But considering the job they had Patton doing, he had the most ground to cover keeping the southern flank closed, abeit,  less resistance and less german troops. Patton was also the right man for the job. Thats WHY Ike kept him in England after the Sicily slapping.  Ikes  administrator Bedel Smith said Patton was the best "ass kicker" the US had and thats exactly WHY he was given 3rd Army on the southern flank. He thought like the Germans did in terms of Blitzkreig. And thats exactly what was needed to keep the southern flank closed.

In hind sight, with the colossal task they ALL had. The choices couldnt seem more perfect.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »

# 2 General Bradley also had no combat experience until Sicily, and only as a commander.

actually Bradley did have combat experience.....".. He received his first front-line command in Operation Torch, serving under General George S. Patton in North Africa. After Patton was reassigned, Bradley commanded II Corps in the Tunisia Campaign and (then) the Allied invasion of Sicily. He commanded the First United States Army during the Invasion of Normandy.."

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »

# 2 General Bradley also had no combat experience until Sicily, and only as a commander.

actually Bradley did have combat experience.....".. He received his first front-line command in Operation Torch, serving under General George S. Patton in North Africa. After Patton was reassigned, Bradley commanded II Corps in the Tunisia Campaign and (then) the Allied invasion of Sicily. He commanded the First United States Army during the Invasion of Normandy.."

I knew that.  :icon_wink:

But while Hodges and Patton were in the trenches in WW1,
Bradley was in Montana guarding an ore mine.

While I consider Bradley as one of our finest Generals, and have great respect for the care he gave his troops, and the man, I just dont  recognize him as having enough actual "COMBAT" experience to where I would compare him to a seasoned combat officer at the beginning of the war. By the end of the war, Id certainly have to give him a pass.

As I said, IMO, Bradley was certainly the right man for the jobs he did, and I doubt anyone else could have done his job  better.

His war diary/book  was sanitized so much, reads like after action reports, it is kinda hard for me to get an actual "read" on the man. Obviously very reserved, and politically correct. Chet Hanson said he was really quiet and rarely ever swore.

Where Hodges war diary/book was just the facts ma'am , regardless of any "allies" feelings. .
I think thats why Hodges and Bradley got along so good. They were so much alike. 

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
Patton's combat experience began before WWI. He is credited with the first mechanized/vehicle attack hunting down Pancho Villa. He also has an illustrious career outside of the military alone. Patton nearly medal'd in the Olympic Games in the Pentathlon. He was a gifted fencer and more importantly, he was only awarded credit for 5 shots in the pistol shooting event. Patton was the only competitor shooting a .38 Revolver while his fellow competitors were shooting .22 caliber revolvers. It was rather obvious from the group he fired that the 6th round landed within the 5 round cluster. He handled that in a sportsmanlike fasihon that would be unrecognizable today.

One thing to be aware of when and if you've seen the movie Patton with George C. Scott who refused the best actor oscar because he felt his portayal of Patton was inadequate (George himself was a Marine), is that in the credits, guess who served as the Technical advisor? The very humble Omar Bradley, LOL! At one point in a discussion about his rivalry with Montgomery, he said, "I know I'm a prima dona, I admit it, what I don't like about Montgomery is that he won't admit it!" Near the end of the war, and another movie you may have seen, A Bridge Too Far, very aptly named, Patton was so close to the heart of the Wermacht, that he was incensed to learn that Eisenhower was cutting off his fuel in favor of Montgomery, who led what many consider the biggest blunder in the history of modern warfare, and a total disaster. It was also the largest airborne invasion of WWII, not Normandy.

There was no Allied field commander in all of WWII who was feared more by the Wermacht than George S. Patton. It's why Hitler held so many of his armies in reserve at the Pas De Calais. He and others of the Nazi high command felt that the D-Day landing was a ruse to masquerade the larger assault that would surely be led by Patton. It was the slapping of 2 soldiers that prevented Patton from commanding operation Overlord

Before WWII, Eisenhower was in a deep funk about not being able to get an assignment he felt worthy of. It was Patton who came to the rescue making "Ike" his adjutant at the armored training center. Patton was very outspoken about the Sherman Tanks being propelled by gasoline engines as well. They became highly criticized by their flammability, not to mention the advantage diesel engines had in torque, and when it comes to propelling heavy vehicles or equipment, not to mention that the Sherman was the last tank of note with any military in the world running on gasoline, I think the Germans taught us the value of diesel engines.

As far as the, "Blood and Guts" comments by his troops while the war correspondent Ernie Pyle referred to Omar Bradley as the "G.I. General," it didn't take long for Bradley's strategy to bog down in France. I guess I don't need to mention who it was that got us back on the offensive. By then, the Germans had learned about Patton's role as a decoy, a disciplinarian action by Eisenhower, and they had thrusted those armies initially held in reserve at Bradley's forces. Moreover, if a Wermacht soldiers had had the freedom of speech enjoyed by American GIs, it would have been pretty interesting to know some of the slang terms they could have come up with for their Field Marshalls! There's no doubt that Patton was tough on his troops: he knew to be otherwise would see his troops slaughtered while the war dragged on even longer.

And all of this pales in comparison to the geopolitical conspiracies involving Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin which ultimately led to Churchill not finding a chair when the music stopped, and Stalin gaining control of Eastern Europe. Many are not even aware that as our "Ally" Stalin waited to just weeks before the Japanese surrendered for the Soviet Union to declare war on Japan! Korea being split into North and South as a result, as Stalin had wanted.

While Band of Brothers was a great piece of film-making, it had a propaganda effect of its own. I.E. the part when it was mentioned that Patton's 3rd army had saved the overwhelmed troops of the 101st Airborne when one of the 101st officers states that the 101st didn't realize that they needed to be saved. En Route, Patton established the wartime record as far as distance traveled and enemy troops killed and wounded while on his way to Bastogne. But because of his desire to integrate German troops into the Allied Forces after Germany surrendered, and deal with the Soviet Army right there in Germany, rather than allow a prolonged cold war of nearly 50 years, there were all kinds of nice things said about Patton being insane, a warmonger as well as anti-semitic

For those who haven't read it, Bill O'Reilly's book: Killing Patton is a must read.  :icon_wink:

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
K-Texas. your summary is pretty much spot on except for one minor thing. George C. Scott refused his Academy Award because he thought the ceremony was a dog and pony show and that serious actors should never be in a "competition" with each other.
I'm kind of a WW II buff as my father was a tank commander with the 4th Armored Division in WW II. December 44 through June 45. In five months of combat he had two or three (can't remember right now) tanks disabled due to enemy fire and was awarded the purple heart and bronze star. Received a second purple heart in Korea and in '62 he also served as an U.S. Army adviser to an ARVN Armored Brigade in Vietnam. He turned 92 last month.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »
K-Texas. your summary is pretty much spot on except for one minor thing. George C. Scott refused his Academy Award because he thought the ceremony was a dog and pony show and that serious actors should never be in a "competition" with each other.
I'm kind of a WW II buff as my father was a tank commander with the 4th Armored Division in WW II. December 44 through June 45. In five months of combat he had two or three (can't remember right now) tanks disabled due to enemy fire and was awarded the purple heart and bronze star. Received a second purple heart in Korea and in '62 he also served as an U.S. Army adviser to an ARVN Armored Brigade in Vietnam. He turned 92 last month.

What a great story! Cheers and a belated Happy Birthday to your Dad: a true American hero! I knew that George C. Scott (a favorite of mine) was essentially anti-hollywood, but I was thinking that I had seen a documentary or something where he mentioned his concern about doing General Patton justice with his portrayal.

And last but not least, Patton even designed the US Army's last cavalry sword. It has a straight blade where previous US Calvary swords were slightly curved that many armies believed they were bast for hacking. Patton's premise was that you run them through while gripping the handle tightly enough that the rider and horses forward momentum would take care of removing the sword from its victim. His ancestry is quite interesting as well going all the way back through England and the Norman Conquest. In fact, in one part of the movie where Patton is flying to France in a cargo plane to grovel to Bradley for a command in Europe, Patton is shown holding the book he'd been reading: The History of the Norman Conquest! :icon_wink:

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
Its probably a good thing Patton was not in charge of Overlord.
Mostly because he WANTED to invade at the Pas De Calais, right where the Germans expected him too.
That would have been the blood bath from hell as the Germans kept about 6 hard core divisions setting there waiting on Patton until well after the Normandy break out.
They certainly did fear Patton, proof of that is the fact they kept the troops there for over 2 months after the invasion.

But Patton had nothing to do with the initial breakout at ST Lo. 

3rd Army was not even declared until Aug 1st, and not operational until Aug 3rd.

The breakout  was Hodges doing, UNDER Bradleys command,  with 1st Army. . The breakout started July 25, and by day 3 everyone in 1st Army  was rolling south.

If Patton had a fault IMO, it was his insistence in 1942 that the Sherman tank was sufficient, and they should not produce the already designed and tested M26 Pershing heavy tank with a 90 mm high velocity gun. It was designed to be the Tigers equal, and was actually better on several counts, especially in  mechanical reliability. The Tiger was kinda an over engineered POS. Its biggest asset was its 88 mm gun.  . But only after the Sherman slaughter in Normandy did they ignore Pattons advice and start building the Pershing. It wasnt operational until the fall of 1944, when they could of had it in 1942, 1943 at the latest. .
That was a colossal blunder and our tankers paid the price in blood.

The Sherman was only a "medium" tank, and totally insufficient against german heavys like the Tiger & Panther.  Where the Pershing could take them on no problem.

Market Garden was a disaster no doubt,, but we had to do it, and Ike knew it.
By Sept 12, 44, Hodges 1st Army was already into Germany. By Sept 15th, they were over 30 miles into Germany past Geilenkeirken. They had caught the germans totally unprepared. But they couldnt capitalize on it with monty so far behind.  So montys plan to be the first into germany and end the war was shot in the ass before they ever jumped off. Much like his fiaso crossing the Rhine. He was LAST on both counts.

The problem was two fold.
1. US  supply lines were on the verge of breaking. They were still hauling their supplies right off the normandy beaches. Thank God for the RedBall Express.
2. Since monty, once AGAIN, didnt make his objectives, the port at ANTWERP.
(a) the whole American Army was suffering supply issues and was going to have to stop until that was fixed.
(B)  Hodges 1st Armys whole northern flank was wide open because monty was so far behind.

Ike knew we had to do something to get monty caught up, and get the US armys northern flank closed up. As it was, any German units in Holland had to only drive south and right in behind 1st Army.  So he approved it.

And it seemed like monty was intentionally keeping his  southern boundry with 1st Army wide open in order to hopefully slow Hodges down. Hodges diary talk about that. Monty would tell Hodges he had units in that area of  1st Armys northern flank, and hodges, ever careful,  would send recon out to verity it, and only find Germans. 

They also knew ahead of time that they were dropping the British airborne on two SS panzer divisions.
They knew the US 82nd was getting dropped on one SS panzer division.

But without a closer port to the front lines, ALL US forces were grinding to a standstill.
And like in Normandy, waiting on monty.
From the time monty was appointed command in North Africa, he NEVER met any of his objective deadlines, ALWAYS causing his Allies issues and unneccesary casualties. .

By holding up Patton and Hodges in sept of 44 for montys fiasco, that allowed the germans to reinforce their lines in front of the US Armies, and cause many bloody battles to get moving again.
We now know that Patton could have went through Metz just like he said " like shit through a goose" in september.  In October, the Germans moved in several crack divisions, causing a 3rd Army blood bath in November.
They also moved in several crack divisions into Aachen in early October, causing several  1st  Army  blood baths in November..

Metz and  Aachen  would not have been anywhere near as difficult in September as they were in  late October & early November. Hurtgen Forest would have likely been by passed in a giant envelope by 1st and 3rd Armies and would have never happened, saving some 50K American casualties. .  And IMO, all of these events also enabled hitler time to set up The battle of the Bulge. Which caused another 90,000 casualties. The whole Ardenne region was lightly manned until early December, and likely would have been enveloped in a giant 1st & 3rd Army pincer.
While Ike wanted a solid front line. Patton and Hodges both had learned to Blitzkreig, with the only real difference being Hodges used british fighter bombers as a standard and integral part of his Army attacks and even had a brit Airforce General on his staff. . Hodges also had Airforce, Tank, Artillery and Infantry liason officers all working closely together ALL the time as a standard practice to coordinate everyone.  Hodges proved it certainly worked, and helped keep  casualties down. The planes number one job was killing german armor, plus the intelligence they brought back about german armor formations. He had tank , artillery and infantry commanders flying around telling the fighter bomber WHO to shoot at, and Airforce commanders on the ground with the same ground units also talking to the planes.
I dont think Patton had the planes available to him to do this on the large scale Hodges did simply because of WHERE he was located on the war map.
1st Army basically had its own airforce of fighter bombers and medium bombers, where 3rd army did not.
Would Patton of done the same? I say he certainly would have. He wanted to kick german butt by ANY means necessary, so he always used whatever he had to win..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:29:37 PM by DCD327 »