Author Topic: Who do you believe SHOULD NOT be allowed to carry a firearm?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Psyc

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
In 3 lines or less, I'm interested in your opinions on who SHOULD NOT be allowed (or discouraged / restricted or monitored) to carry a firearm, and why. (For instance should everyone be allowed to carry a weapon, even if they are a convicted felon?)

No right or wrong answers just taking a survey.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Brass Hoarder
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you believe SHOULD NOT be allowed to carry a firearm?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »
Psyc,

Basically, I'm FOR letting everyone, who is NOT a convicted felon NOR "of unsound mind, such that they are an obvious danger to themselves or other peaceful citizens" & persons who are UNLAWFULLY present in the USA/Texas.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
I, like a few others on this forum, hope that Texas, like Arizona and a few other states, adopts constitutional carry. No by your leave from the government, no required "papers", no money for the coffers for the right granted us under the 2nd Amendment. If you can legally buy a firearm, as current federal and state law(s) allow, you should be able to possess and carry a firearm.
But to answer your question I believe anyone convicted of: Murder, robbery (armed or strong arm it matters not to me), aggravated assault, sexual assault, indecency with a child and crimes against the elderly and child abuse, and probably a couple of other crimes, should not be permitted to own a firearm.
As someone that has been around felons most of my adult life I realize that their are exceptions but to tell the truth I don't care. Many years ago I bumped into a guy I knew since grade school. He knew what I did for a living and began to complain to me about not being able to get a hunting license or carry permit because he couldn't (wouldn't) pay child support. He was driving a new F-250 and drinking top shelf tequila. My reply was barely civil.
As adults we all make conscious decisions in the path in life we take. I have no pity for those that prey on others or ignore their obligations to family.
Sorry this isn't three lines or less but this is a subject that sticks in my craw.   

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »
1. The Blind.
2. Violent criminals.
3. Medicated coo coo brains.

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 05:14:34 AM »
I, like a few others on this forum, hope that Texas, like Arizona and a few other states, adopts constitutional carry. No by your leave from the government, no required "papers", no money for the coffers for the right granted us under the 2nd Amendment. ..................

I'm sure you know this but, the second amendment doesn't grant us this right. The second amendment assumes that we already have this right and the purpose of the second is just to protect that right.
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »
Oh, I.m sure everyone figured out what I meant. Thanks for pointing out my "mistake" though.  :wave1:
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • .50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 Thrill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:44:09 PM »
1. The Blind.
2. Violent criminals.
3. Medicated coo coo brains.

What if coo coo brains haven't been medicated? :)

1) Convicted felons
2) Persons diagnosed with depression (the actual common thread of mass shootings)
3) Alte's list (Murder, (any) robbery, aggravated assault, sexual assault, indecency with a child and crimes against the elderly and child abuse)

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:17:55 AM »
Oh, I.m sure everyone figured out what I meant. Thanks for pointing out my "mistake" though.  :wave1:

My comment wasn't meant to point out your "mistake". It was meant to bring truth to a common statement that many people make that unintentionally misleads newbies into believing that the second amendment actually GIVES us something other than protection of a right that we already had. My apologies if you were offended by what I wrote.
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
To All,

The Bill of Rights to The US Constitution grants NOBODY any RIGHTS. Instead it simply LISTS certain of our Natural Rights that preexisted The Constitution.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
1)  Nidal Malik Hasan      reason = obvious
2)  Aaron Alexis              reason = obvious
3)  mrs joe biden            reason = was taught "shotgun" by ‎neanderthal-looking husband
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
I believe the laws we already have against convicted felons, the mentally ill/unstable, and those with a history of misdemeanor convictions for assault, domestic violence, etc. are good enough.

The only expansion on this that I would -- MAYBE -- support, is adding those individuals with personality defects that aren't currently being screened as mental illnesses (I think), like people with anger management issues, or those who are at least suspected of being a danger to themselves/others.

Expanding the definitions beyond that creates a slippery slope in my opinion -- it's bad enough that the politicians and professionals responsible for determining whether you meet any of the conditions above basically already have carte blanche to use their position of power to push their ideological political agenda; I distinctly remember there being much discussion -- however idle -- during the Obama era of specifically targeting veterans of all wars under the auspices of "taking away guns from somebody with PTSD", with the real reason probably being that, statistically speaking, most of those same veterans were the ones saying they'd be most willing to fight an armed resistance against a tyrannical government here at home if need be.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:53:34 PM by Gilgondorin »

Offline Geoman

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
I think current restrictions are reasonable.  Felons, psychologically unstable, spousal abusers,  and children(under 21) should not be able to own or carry a firearm.

The problem is enforcement.  Records must be shared with the FBI for those in above categories so that NICS will flag the buyer.  Without that the restrictions are meaningless.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 09:33:59 PM »
Geoman,

And you don't want young people to hunt with firearms OR possess them while hunting/fishing/camping/working the  family farm??
(I had access to a .22LR BA rifle & a 12 gauge shotgun from the time that I was 12YO. = NEVER shot anyone until I became a soldier.)

My mother bought me a pre-Model 10 S&W revolver/gunbelt/holster when I was barely 18YO, so that I could go to work at the local SD.
(Btw, my co-workers made MANY "clever comments", at roll-call,  about Mother HAVING to buy me a revolver, so that I could work as a LEO. ====> One was, "Say Kid, what's your Mommy bought you this week?" - I was commonly called "The Kid", then.)

Btw, as some here know, I spent most of my years with that department as the county's "Stock Detective" chasing thieves & rounding-up/returning "lost or strayed" cattle & horses off of the roadways & to their owners. - That the department had one deputy who did little but that one task, will tell you how commonplace that livestock theft, "stock out on the highway" & "lost & strayed" livestock was.
(Rural LE is REALLY different from suburban/urban police work.)

yours, satx
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:41:10 PM by satx78247 »
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline FiveSeven

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »
I pretty much agree with whats been said except Id like to point out theres a good chunk of the population of the USA thats suffering from some sort of BiPolar or Depression or ADHD and are on medications of some kind. Unless those folks are an immediate threat to others, I dont see how taking away their guns would help anyone. #1 rule applies there- court has to find the person mentally unfit. Cant just up and take someones guns just cause you dont think they shouldnt have them.

Also I cant emphasize enough the importance of teaching your kids how to use firearms so you take away the curiosity of wanting to play with them. They know how to use them and what they are for. You even take them hunting or to the range often. Eventually they'll grow out of it and move on, until they are of age to have their own.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • .50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 Thrill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »
I think the issue 5-7 is that depressed persons don't necessarily overtly signal when they're going to go sideways.  I believe depression has been the primary common denominator in most of the mass shootings.

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »
I think the issue 5-7 is that depressed persons don't necessarily overtly signal when they're going to go sideways.  I believe depression has been the primary common denominator in most of the mass shootings.

IMO, seems like about 1/2 the time, the symptoms are there, but since "parents" DONT actually "parent anymore,,they are often overlooked .

And it certainly does seem like it ALWAYS comes out later, that these mass shooters are medicated on psych  drugs, , but they never want to report it at the time of the incident.

One of the most common drugs in mass shooting is clonazeapam. It is also well known to send people off the deep end. But yet they keep dishing it out like candy. 
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
I'm with satx -- I'd also like to call bull on GeoMan's '21 only' suggestion; Gilgondorin's 18th birthday present was an AK-47 and he owned numerous other items before he ever turned 21. Either mine was defective, or responsible 18 year olds can own AK-47's without causing problems.

I submit that if you are not already responsible enough to own a firearm because you weren't raised right and you lack the maturity to own a gun at age 18, then you're already really late to the "responsible adult" game, and I don't know that 3 additional years of misguidance will do anything to reverse a lifetime of irresponsibility.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
Gilgondorin,

SPOT ON. = Age alone doesn't substitute for "a poor raising-up" and/or being "non compos mentis"  and/or just simply being a MONSTER.
(I believe The Apostle Paul, 100%: There are some among us who were demons from the start.)

Fwiw, I once questioned a murderer about him killing random people, who he saw on the street & why he did NOT kill yet another complete stranger, for no apparent reason. =  He said, "I like watching them realize that they're gonna die & right now." - PAUSE - "I didn't kill that guy 'cause he got in his truck & drove off.  So instead, I went & bought me a cheeseburger basket & a DrPepper."
(He had already admitted to murdering 4 other people that he didn't know.)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline K-Texas

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • 36th Generation Viking!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
Why don't we ask John Cornyn? His proposed legislation that never saw the light of day, he called the "Sportsman's ACT." It had the NRA's support, but as I suspected, it was for nothing but show! Who outside of Texan's even remembers it from 2015?

The answers to many questions were actually dealt with logically as far as the NRA was concerned, and in my personal opinion.

If we start stigmatizing people with mild and curable mental illnesses like depression, the backlash might very well be fewer people seeking help for many mental health issues. Even the ACLU is against the practice. Almost all of us are affected by depression at some point. The most typical incidence is through loss of a loved one. So, if your family doc writes you a prescription for an anti-depressant under such a circumstance, do you want to lose your 2nd amendment rights? Does that sound too simple as an example?

What if we ban ANYONE who has EVER been treated for a mental illness, regardless of severity? Then suppose we get another oppressive regime that will surely come from the demo-commies. Let me paint you a picture.

"Officer, I swear I wasn't speeding in that school zone!"

"Yes you were. I have the radar to prove it!"

"But officer, I was careful to watch my speedometer to make sure I was only going 20 MPH"

"Well, you must be Crazy then!"

"Officer, I'd like to have a look at that radar."

And the next morning you wake up in a padded room! That will sure cut down on the numbers of legal abiding citizens who own firearms! Think the gun-grabbers would never stoop so low? All I can say is that Earth is the only planet I've ever lived on, and as such, Human Beings are the only sentient species I've ever known. So, let's ask that question again. Think they'd never stoop so low? Ho-Larry Clinton?? Really???

The answer has always been the rule of law. Even Cornyn got it. That's why a good bit of his proposed legislation dealt with adjudication. Or, should only felons be entitled to protect their innocence and possible loss of civil rights?

The bigger issue with all of these mass shooters, except for some affiliation in their past with the demo-commie party, is that they had once been under psychiatric care! So, if a psychiatrist believes someone is mentally incompetent, they should be placed into the hands of our justice system. Once you are legally classified as mentally incompetent, you lose your 2nd amendment rights which most all of us agree should take place. But almost every one of those psychos slipped through the cracks, excuse me, I mean slipped through the grasp!

State psychiatric boards exist, and could easily be implemented in places they don't with minor cost to the tax paying citizen. Why hasn't that been done? Why have none of those psychiatrists been sued for malpractice?

Well, the NRA is a great lobby, but, per capita wise, we have nothing on physicians!!! It's almost as stupid as our abiding the practice of abortion where a child might have has a 50% chance of becoming a conservative. But like Herod The Great, we kill all of those UN-necessary babies while allowing them to be replaced by totally illiterate, illegal aliens who will be more than glad to vote demo-commie the first chance they get!

And so it goes!  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:44:11 PM by K-Texas »
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline FiveSeven

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Who do you believe SHOULD NOT be allowed to carry a firearm?
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
What does everyone think of this article? I read this today, and I agree with some and completely disagree with the last.

Six radical ways to tackle US school shootings
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43118865 [nofollow]

Fyi K-Texas, Im all for treating those with mental health problems, but not all are crazy, and they shouldnt be treated like criminals. Thats a great way to prevent a lot of them from seeking treatment in the first place. The point is to have them voluntarily seek treatment without repercussions and heal their mental health issue. Look how ineffective the drug war was against those who are addicted to opioids. You gotta treat the problem but not attack it.