Author Topic: Suggestions for a "Standard-Speed" .32-40WF Equivilent CB Load for .300 Savage??  (Read 1967 times)

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
Friends,

As some of you know, my "pet rifle" is a Model 760 Remington in .300SAV.

Charles Harris' FAMOUS "The Load" is specifically for cases that have a larger capacity than the .300SAV, so I'm trying to figure out a CAST BULLET LOAD for the .300SAV, that is about 1400-1500 FPS (a "clone" of the "old-school", standard velocity,  .32-40WCF) with the 150 grain CB, for small-medium game hunting & informal "paper-punching".
(My modern/2016 cast bullet book has NO listing for .300 SAV, as it's considered to be "semi-obsolete".)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
There is data in the SPEER #11, but for jacketed bullets using IMR SR4759 designated a "Reduced Load." 4759 was one of the favorite powders for reduced rifle loads then and stills see's plenty of use. Start Charge is 17 grs. for 1523 FPS. Max is 21 grs. for 1873 FPS.

I also have data in the Lyman 46th specifically for Cast but they jumped from a 113 gr. pointed bullet to a 169 gr. RN, The Lyman data isn't exactly what I'd call reduced with the start charge of 20 grs. (designated as the most accurate load tested) for 1888 FPS and the max charge at 22.5 grs. for 2047 FPS with the 169 gr. with 4759.

There are a couple of different approaches you could take. Try the SPEER jacketed data. maybe even a couple of grs above the start charge or email the folks at blog.westernpowders.com to see if they have data for Accurate 5744. It is an extremely good reduced rifle load propellant. I'll bet they have something or can get it for you. :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
K-Texas,

THANK YOU.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
satx, one more suggestion. You might want to look and see if you can find a Lyman 49th Edition. The 50th has been out for a little while now and most of the reviewers I've read have said that it's not quite up to the standard of the 49th, so it appears that the main beneifit is only for new calibers that came out during the interim.

My 46th Edition actually listed a good number more powders but they were the faster Alliant Flake powders. Hercules back then. I'm wondering if maybe the 49th shows more cast bullets between the 113 and 169 gr. projectiles. And hopefully, AA 5744 was used as well. On top of being really good for reduced rifle loads, it loads all of the magnum revolver cartridges and sometimes with older cartridges that were originally Black Powder cartridges, i.e. .44 Special and .45 Colt. :icon_wink:

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
K-Texas,

THANKS. = I recently ordered an OLDER copy of the Lyman CB manual (that had the older cartridges) off of amazon & the seller had to give me my money back. - He said that he couldn't find the book.

I'm looking for another copy.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836