Author Topic: ..a "Gripe" - teacher's strikes..  (Read 2906 times)

Offline MGimbo

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
Re: ..a "Gripe" - teacher's strikes..
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:18 AM »
Most everyone thinks they are not paid enough.

Teachers average about the same as cops.
Difference is, cops work year round and teachers work about 9 months out of the year.

I taught for 32 years and never worked 9 months a year. Teachers have to pay for college tuition in the summer and sit in a classroom for 2 or 3 months. So much for only working 9 months.  A teacher has to have continuing credit in order to renew your teaching certificate. The teacher then has to be prepared to walk into the classroom with lesson plans.
I don't know about the educational requirements to be a police officer, but a teacher is required to have at least a bachelor degree. Those who become teachers have already invested a substantial amount of money just to get into the classroom.

Can you imagine the quality of teachers if they made minimum wage. Can you imagine the quality of teachers if they made $100,000 a year. You get what you pay for.
Mike

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
MGimbo,

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, we would be better of to CLOSE all the  public schools & give the money that we currently spend to each student's parents/guardians to spend for any school that they choose.
(I once lived in a school district that closed their public schools "to avoid court-ordered desegregation" & within 120 days the county had a Catholic girl's  K-12 school, a Catholic boy's school, a K-12 school sponsored by the Methodist church & two "independent", secular, schools. - Two years later the SAT & ACT scores for the HS students, of all ages/races/religions,  were UP by 14%.)

ImVho, ANYTHING done by "government" will be done POORLY & at a VERY HIGH price.
(Even the USPS cannot function without federal subsidies that UPS, FEDEX & other private companies don't receive. Then private shippers, to make a PROFIT, have to be efficient.)

Note: My beloved/adopted daughter did not do well in public school (When we adopted her, she spoke little English.), so we enrolled her at SETON SCHOOL (all female & taught by Catholic nuns).  Within a year, she was fluent in English & thereafter got "straight A's" & scored 1560 on her SAT.
(She is now an adult, has a MSEE, speaks/read/writes fluently in 4 languages & is "a big shot" at TX DPS. - Fwiw,  "Daddies" ges to "brag on" their children!!!)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline MGimbo

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
You should be proud of YOUR daughter. I have two thoughts about adoption. 1.) Almost any male can be a sire but it takes a special person to be a dad. 2.) When a couple has a baby, they have to take what they got. When a couple gets to adopt, they get to pick and choose. Tell your daughter that you hand picked her. She was/is special.
I coached wrestling for 33 years and got close to my wrestlers. On day a kid came into my office after practice as usual. He told me his dad wasn't his real dad. He was adopted. I told him exactly what I wrote in the paragraph above. We both cried.
Mike

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »
I taught for 32 years and never worked 9 months a year. Teachers have to pay for college tuition in the summer and sit in a classroom for 2 or 3 months. So much for only working 9 months.  A teacher has to have continuing credit in order to renew your teaching certificate. The teacher then has to be prepared to walk into the classroom with lesson plans.
I don't know about the educational requirements to be a police officer, but a teacher is required to have at least a bachelor degree. Those who become teachers have already invested a substantial amount of money just to get into the classroom.

Can you imagine the quality of teachers if they made minimum wage. Can you imagine the quality of teachers if they made $100,000 a year. You get what you pay for.

:th_thicon_idea:

Same with my Mom, sister and friends who teach: They typically worked ~2200-2400 hours per year, something bureaucrats wouldn't consider without overtime, and they do it because of the satisfaction in the job.

Lots of ignorant trolls out there think otherwise.

Offline shiner1911

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »
My wife has been teaching in Texas for 39 years and she spends alot of her "free" time working on school related stuff. She is woefully underpaid!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
has taken her 39 years to discover, in her mind, that she's woefully underpaid - dang, one would think that somewhere in all those years she'd have chosen a route that recognized her talents

has she been expecting that she'd "catch up" to what she believes her efforts are worth ?

sometime, well less than 39 years, I'd have "moved on" (in fact.....I did.....and found employment with which I was happy)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
Again, you insist on cutting your own nose off (so to speak).

Your solution to having crappy teachers that disagree with you politically on the subject of guns... Is to refuse to push for better pay to hire better teachers, until what few good teachers we have left all quit and are replaced by teachers that — in addition to also being indulgent of 2A student protests — are even crappier than before?

On a side note: For the record, I remain unconvinced that privatizing all schools is the solution either.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
Gilgondorinm,

Out of curiosity, have you ever lived in an area W/O public schools?
(I have for over 3 years.)

While I found the public schools being closed to STOP "school integration", almost every student was BETTER educated/trained AFTER the schools all were privatized and much WORSE educated after the public schools reopened 5 years later.
(They reopened the public schools due to government pressure, rather than because they weren't better than the public schools were before/since.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »
+1 Gil.

More aptly, society is cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Blankety privatizing schools doesn’t work for the masses.
Not educating kids to the expectations of employers hurts everyone in the long run.  (Why do you think Exxon/Mobil has put a $B into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering,Math)
Not educating kids at all (no education for kids of illegal aliens) just means in 10-20 years most can’t support themselves (much less a family) without illicit income.
Paying a babysitter’s wage vs a professional educator gets us what we pay for.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
TXAZ,

Once more (SIGH), IF we closed all of the public schools & gave every student's parent/guardian the money that we are currently wasting on "public education" we would all be BETTER OFF.

It's also, imo, LONG PAST TIME to tell the ILLEGALS to "go home" forever, unless/until they can  come back LEGALLY.
(We'll make our own beds, scrub our own floors & pick our vegetables until we ccan acquire a GUEST WORKER PROGRAM that allows WORKERS to come to the USA for WORK only.)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum