Author Topic: +P 9mm  (Read 2209 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
+P 9mm
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »
Any of you guys have some particular 9mm +P you like?
I wanted to try some in my 226 and see what the difference is.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
Re: +P 9mm
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
TXAZ,

HORNADY CRITICAL DUTY  137 Grain is my current favorite, = My P225 shoots it better than any other ammo that I've tried.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
The Hornady 135 gr. +P Critical Duty load was just awarded a contract from the FBI. :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
The Hornady 135 gr. +P Critical Duty load was just awarded a contract from the FBI. :icon_wink:

does the FBI still have anybody around that can authorize letting a contract ?

(sorry - this reply lends nothing to the thread - bad boy, bad boy   :facepalm:)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »

does the FBI still have anybody around that can authorize letting a contract ?

(sorry - this reply lends nothing to the thread - bad boy, bad boy   :facepalm:)

Anyone qualified might be debatable, LOL!

But, as a TEAM Hornady member I get a new gift pack each year with the latest catalogue. I believe that Hornady's testing is actually pretty solid. Being +P rated, I would like to see the velocity a bit higher, but they do have a 124 gr. +P version as well. I've handloaded and fired many XTPs over the years and have found Hornady's claims about as honest as it gets. XTPs dont expand the largest like maybe Ranger or HSTs, but they do expand very consistently. If the Critical Duty bullet was available to handloaders, I would definitely use them. Sadly, they are not, but that's the case for pretty much everyone's "Magic Bullet" except the tried and true Gold Dots! I just completed a project that will be posted at http://blog.westernpowders.com/  in the next week or so about 147 gr. Hollow points in 9mm. I'm now using one of my loads for defense: the 147 gr. Gold Dot that chrono's 1090 FPS. I would load them even faster if they would hold up to the velocity and Momentum is the reason. But, there's still the good old 147 gr. XTP that can handle the velocity of any 9 or .38 SuperDuper, and at high velocity, there's no worry over-penetration.

So be advised guys when your looking at ammo loaded with the 147 gr. Gold Dot. My test pistol has a 4.56" barrel that gives the 1090 FPS. When looking at +P type loads, I would be very concerned about using one with the 147 gr. Gold Dot that chronographs over 1100 FPS. :icon_wink:
:icon_wink:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:49:14 PM by K-Texas »

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »

But, as a TEAM Hornady member I get a new gift pack each year with the latest catalogue. ...

So what kind of gift pack do you get and what kind of special pricing?
That's about all I feed Boomer now and it's very good ammo just $$$ per round.

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »

But, as a TEAM Hornady member I get a new gift pack each year with the latest catalogue. ...

So what kind of gift pack do you get and what kind of special pricing?
That's about all I feed Boomer now and it's very good ammo just $$$ per round.

Each year they send you a new catalog, bullet chart, decals, stickers & such. It puts you on their mailing list for special offers, rebates and notifications like free bullets with the purchase of various tools.

They don't offer ammo discounts since they don't sell retail, but each of the Critical Duty loads is shown with the results from each of the various tests that FBI mandates.

As of Sunday, the CEO announced suspension of sales to all LE entities in the state of New York after Cuomo's latest scheme. You won't find many ammo-makers taking that kind of stand!  :icon_wink:

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
As of Sunday, the CEO announced suspension of sales to all LE entities in the state of New York after Cuomo's latest scheme. You won't find many ammo-makers taking that kind of stand!  :icon_wink:
I think Ronnie Barrett did something similar, when Kali pulled their .50 BMG ban, refusing to ship 2 LAPD .50s they had, making them show up personally to pick them up. 

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »

..making them show up personally to pick them up.

oooooh, that'll show 'em 
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum