Author Topic: Dred's First - Ready to Fire  (Read 1027 times)

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
Dred's First - Ready to Fire
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
K so ... my unfired M&P 9mm m2.0 is finally ready to fire. Notice the thumb safety and Apex Trigger - my work with scar on slide to prove it.

I probably get to go back for a third visit 'cause the final result was a 2lb 4oz trigger with magnificent feedback. I'll need to fire it 'cause that's a full lb lighter than my slickest 1911 trigger.

Installs we're relatively easy, but repeated twice till I figured out where the pin laying in my improvised block actually belonged. The chase is - it was the factory trigger pin that I drove out to seperate the trigger bar. The guys at Apex replace one pin - this pin.

And I did rush through the slide mods required 'cause the design hides a plunger that gets replaced under the rear sight. I was out of time and rushing and scar'd the slide - I wonder if I can get a FDE Sharpie.

Dirty pics coming soon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: Dred's First - Ready to Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
Good thing I'm not 'fraid to type at myself. But, the lack of digs 'bout 1911 Boy waking up or joining this century is sorta dissapointing. So ... hit the range for 'bout 20 minutes worth halfway tbrough my day - I'm definitely .

First mag - 17 rounds to center mass @5 yards, standing, unsupported.

Second mag  - 17 head shots @ 7 yards, standing, unsupported.

One mag in each shoulder from 10 yards, standing, unsupported.  Both had orange stickers where the big holes are now.

Two unintentional double fires. 2lb 4oz is too light as currently configured.  I am going to step it up to the Apex "Carry Weight" sear spring and I hope this willhelp get the sear snick more positive. I have two stiffer trigger springs, but I prefer to work on the sear. The trigger springs will increase pull on both take-up and break; sear springs should only increase the break.

All shots were Winchester 124g NATO. Zero failures of any kind. I did not fire the HST mag since I knew I was going back in for a spring swap before the 3rd mag was spent.

Seems Smith set up the sights to cover POI. It's pretty obvious since I fired that first mag with a 6'clock hold.   No worries ... paper guy was effectively stopped just the same. I'm surprised with the windage - so far, I'm hoping I lucked into a locktite worthy placement, but I will stretch her out amd rest her before calling it good.

She shoots much softer than the Sub2k. As light as she is, she really doesn't give up much shootability to my all steel 9mm 1911.   It's going to take time for me to get used to having 17 uninterupted rounds in a pistol - I'm  ready for a figurative cigarette 10 rounds in.

And, yes, I'm already shopping for a strong side holster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:33:07 PM »
Nice Dred!

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:33:30 PM »
The Apex carry weight sear spring brought the pull up to 3lb 3oz (10 pull average).  Dry fire results are outstanding.  Result matched my expectation precisely.  I hope I'm done with the disassemble/reassemble game - I'll see by Saturday.  I do have half a mind to go through all the combinations of springs so I can send my results to Apex with the hope they will update their spring fitment flowchart.  I am still 2 lb lighter than Apex predicts for the combination I have installed (I'm using a Wheeler Digital guage if it matters to anyone reading along quietly).

Plus, I didn't need no stink'n video.  The works are much easier to understand than JMB's 1911 design - largely due to the use of separate coil springs for each function versus JMB's multi-fingered, multi-function leaf spring.

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
Nice range and gun report, I really enjoyed the read. I also really like the M&P models, I donít have the 2.0 but I do have the full size 9mm and .40 cal. Iím glad to hear that the trigger replacement wasnít overly difficult. This summer when I find some time, I think I will try that trigger replacement. Iím still leaning towards purchasing a M&P shield 2.0 for my pocket carry gun, but the Sig P365 looks good too.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
not an M&P shooter but.....nice shootin'
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
Looking great Dred! Definitely going to need to give that a go at some point.
I'm a big fan of the Safariland ALS holster, with thumb button for great retention with super easy release, but then I open carry most of the time.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline bluewave

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
Nice report! Thanks!! I recently looked at the M & P 2.0 but didn't pull the trigger, will take another look!

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
Looking great Dred! Definitely going to need to give that a go at some point.
I'm a big fan of the Safariland ALS holster, with thumb button for great retention with super easy release, but then I open carry most of the time.

You are always welcome to shoot my guns.  Hopefully the thumb safety doesn't jack up your hold.
 With all the morning armoring, and the 20 minutes at Juliff ... I was finishing my last job as the Sun set yesterday.  Before I freaked out over the seemingly extra pin ... I was sorta hoping to make Shiloh last night.  As an aside ... Texas Gun Club is planning for some IDPA in the near future. 

I bought an Orpaz Retention Holster.  It is very similar to the Safariland ALS system in operation, but the retention system secures the pistol at the trigger guard.  It's an Isreali holster and I am definitely liking the retention.  It is extremely secure until the thumb button is grazed - I like that 'cause I graze it while establishing my thumb-riding-safety hold which is disengages the M&P's thumb safety.  I don't think I could have designed a better holster for my needs.  I have an ALS for my 1911s and the release just doesn't flow as nicely into my thumb-riding-safety hold; The ALS does a nicer job of covering the pistol.  I set up the Orpaz I have for crossdraw.  I expect that I'm going to order a second to set up for strong side open carry.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
Sounds good Dred.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony