Author Topic: ..here's why I don't like the idea of..  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline ArmedTexan

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: ..here's why I don't like the idea of..
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »
I still think teachers should be armed. This guy was showing his gun in a safety demonstration. I think if teachers would carry without any other teachers or students knowing it would be safe. I mean I carry everyday and even my family (that know Iím carrying) donít notice. I just donít like it that every where I go I can legally carry but when I go to work (at a high school) I have to leave it in the car.
I call my AR-15 Anne; she's pretty and likes to accessorize. My AK-47 is known as Frank, he won't stop no matter how dirty he is. Oh and when the gov't comes look'n for 'em, they be hid'n in the attic!

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »
Armed Texan,

Personally, I believe that a LICENSED concealed carrier, who can/do safely carry a firearm ANYWHERE, should be able to carry EVERYWHERE.
(ImVho, the SAFEST place for my S&W pistol is IN my holster & on my belt, where it cannot be misused by unlicensed/irresponsible  persons or criminals.)

I would not want to work any place where I cannot carry my handgun UNLESS there are armed/sworn police or licensed/armed security personnel on the site.
(I don't have "a problem" working at my voting precinct that is on a school campus, as the ISD has sworn/armed police officers where are ALWAYS nearby, are alert for possible safety/security problems that may arise during the election & are very protective of everyone at the voting place.)

just my OPINIONS, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »
not a good idea to arm "qualified" teachers (my opinion).....
quote]

I believe the operative word there is "qualified".

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
thing is I can't see persons the schools might select to be armed being/getting more "qualified" than this fellow (who just happened to have his pistol explode in his classroom)

since I really don't have a dog in this hunt.....I could care less if they choose to arm the teachers, the janitors and the cafeteria lady

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
@Tango - you missed the other negligent discharge. It happened to LE alone in an office - at a school. No one hurt, but officer on leave pending result of investigation.

My take - ND's happen where firearms are handled. I don't handle my firearm outside of my home or the range.   Responsible carriers know this - teachers should be reminded repeatedly.

Teachers are required to do continuing education. I believe school boards should offer this credit to teachers that complete Air Marshall Training. I think Air Marshall Training should be available to teachers at the school board's expense. I hope it is obvious why I think the Air Marshall Program is the most appropriate for a teacher.

@satx ... the difference between my permit and a teachers is substantial. The expectation that a teacher will protect students goes well beyond the expectation that I will protect me and mine. Therefore they should be much stronger firearms handlers than the average LE Officer. And, I am not calling you average. I do think most members of this forum would fare very well in a shooting contest competing with their local LE.   But the average LTC holder would be doing well to finish mid pack in the same contest.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 07:00:43 PM »
I don't believe allowing teachers that have a LTC permit to carry at work means they have to rush to defend anyone.
They are simply allowed to defend themselves.

Posting a sign which says there are teachers that are carrying on campus,
will do a lot to deter a random person from heading in to do evil since they will not know who is carrying or what classrooms they are in.

But the argument against teachers carrying due to a negligent/accidental discharge can be applied to anyone.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
Johnny Dollar,

EXACTLY SO = Some of "the prominent members" of the "Progressive wing" of the  LEFTIST DIMocRATS Party want the POLICE & Armed Forces completely disarmed. = The more that I learn about "Progressives" the more that I believe that you have to be STUPID and/or a LUNATIC  to be/remain one.

A spokeswoman from the DP of CT was interviewed this afternoon on our local Cable News 24/7 Channel who said that, "The World would be a far better place without borders, nations, flags or any kind of weapons and that the USA should completely disarm FIRST, as an example to all of the World's people."

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
Yes, same people that believe Israel should disarm.

They refuse to believe that if the Muslims disarmed, there would be peace,
but if only Israel disarms, they will be slaughtered.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:16 PM »
JohnnyDollar,

I wouldn't be surprised if the so-called "Progressive wing" of the "DIMocRAT Party" wouldn't CHEER if many Jews were slaughtered by the Muslims, as many of them are confirmed ANTI-SEMITES. = That's a main why that Louis Farrakhan is so popular with the Leftists.
(Minister Farrakhan is also a confirmed HATER of the Jews.)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline RaySendero

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
Armed Texan,

Personally, I believe that a LICENSED concealed carrier, who can/do safely carry a firearm ANYWHERE, should be able to carry EVERYWHERE.
just my OPINIONS, satx

THIS!!!

The teachers, staff and admin should be able to arm themselves legally at work when/if they choose to.
Ray

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Ray Sendero,

Imo, designating any place a "Gun Free Zone" is an open invitation to every violent predator, armed lunatic with an axe to grind & the common criminals to come and do their evil deeds without fear that they will be stopped by an armed person.

According to figures from Michigan State University there have been only TWO "mass shooting incidents" since WWII ended that were NOT in a "gun free zone". = That should tell any thinking person that licensed persons should be able to carry everywhere for self-defense & for the defense of persons in their care.
(A teacher defending his/her class from harm certainly fits the description of "persons in their care".)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline ArmedTexan

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 11:06:26 PM »
This makes me hate leaving my sidearm in the console when Iím at work, this is why I have secretly (for reasons of libtardenst) have my flak jacket and a military kevlar helmet in the cabinet next to my desk. For my own safety... not for the otherís safety, for which Iím defenseless. I guess teachers are left to only defending themselves in a shooting situation. ďSorry kids but fí yíall Iím a dad and my children need me more than youĒ teacher out ✌️
I call my AR-15 Anne; she's pretty and likes to accessorize. My AK-47 is known as Frank, he won't stop no matter how dirty he is. Oh and when the gov't comes look'n for 'em, they be hid'n in the attic!

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure if an armed intruder comes into a classroom with an armed teacher who defends themselves, the kids will be defended as well.

The schools in Bandera County that are armed, the teachers are not required to run around the school looking to engage a shooter.

Seriously, which sign is a better deterrent?

OR

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
^^^^^^
The Israelis have experience dealing with lone gunmen. 
Itís not the first sign. 

Offline ArmedTexan

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 01:57:50 AM »
We should have those signs out at every school even if their isnít any armed staff. Better than a sign stating that all in this building are law abiding and are therefore unarmed, please take your time in selecting your targets as the police may come within 8-10 minutes or not enter the building at all. Hell as a ltc person and I believe I should carry at work, Iím not a cop, Iím a history teacher. I will defend my students and myself so we all may exit the building safety. Iím not returning to the building to rescue others. Thatís the police job. At the end of the day I want to be with my own children and wife, but with the whole world knowing that my place of work is a soft target, I feel itís only a matter of time until SHTF and my gun is in the car!

Offline Axxe55

• Rimfire Shooter
  • Trophy Husband!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
i think teachers and faculty being armed in schools is a good start, and a good option. i don't think it's the only step that should be taken, but one of possibly many that need to be taken. i'm for it, as long as those who would be carrying have met certain qualifications to be able to carry inside the schools.
"A vote is like a rifle. It's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."  Teddy Roosevelt.

"Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 11:38:10 PM »
I still think teachers should be armed. This guy was showing his gun in a safety demonstration. I think if teachers would carry without any other teachers or students knowing it would be safe. I mean I carry everyday and even my family (that know Iím carrying) donít notice. I just donít like it that every where I go I can legally carry but when I go to work (at a high school) I have to leave it in the car.

Seconded.. I carry everywhere, except at work (highschool) it makes almost no sense. No one would even know I had it.
In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
I read a story about a school here in TX that allows teachers to have a gun. They are not allowed to carry it on them. It stays in a safe in the class, hidden. And no one else knows it is there (students).

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
as something related to arming employees.....besides commercial airlines having air marshals riding (inconspicuously ?) on selected flights (mostly internationally ?) the airlines themselves are allowing "some" of their cockpit crewmembers to carry firearms

I don't know what the criteria is for choosing a particular (frequency of working "at risk" flight routes ?) and I believe they must go thru the same training period that the fed air marshals go thru (again - ?)