Author Topic: AK 300 BK?  (Read 753 times)

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
AK 300 BK?
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
Is there a AK that shoots 300 BK

I know there are AK's that take/use AR mags

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: AK 300 BK?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
I'm curious, what advantages do you see in that?

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »
A friend and I went to a gun range and shot his new AK that shoots 556 and uses AR mags, then rented a AR-15 300 BK due to his new fascination with the round

Being a AK nut he has never had a AR

After shooting the AR he ask me how to clean it .... he wasn't impressed with the time needed to clean one compared to a AK

As he was taking to AR back to the counter he started wondering if they had a AK in 300 BK ..... I started to wonder also, which lead to the question above

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:49 AM »
If there is and I don't see why there would be then I imagine it would probably be a single experimental proof of concept prototype made by someone like the guys who make the freaky double 1911, or an equally technically experienced but obscure at-home hobbyist.

That's just a hunch of mine though.

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Found this in The Firearms Blog

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/07/04/ak-arsenal-106ur-short-barreled-rifle-in-300-aac-blk/

AK (Arsenal 106UR) Short Barreled Rifle in .300 AAC BLK

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »
Sent email to friend and he's going to look into it

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »
Yep, the article id's the smith that has done at least one, so your <wink>friend<wink> shouldn't have any trouble getting one of <wink>his<wink> own by getting in touch with the smith.

And, <wink>he<wink> can get one in hand faster if he can live with a pistol (while they are still pistols).  The SBR means you are 1. waiting on the smith and then 2. waiting on the stamps to get it in hand.  It's a wicked cool project.  Good luck to your <wink>friend<wink>.

Yes, I'm poking fun at you 'cause your screename suggests you favor AKs and we already know you tried to live with an AR in the caliber.  Seems like your friend could easily be closer than you've implied.  But the <winks> are absolutely jabs-of-good-intention.

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Yep, the article id's the smith that has done at least one, so your <wink>friend<wink> shouldn't have any trouble getting one of <wink>his<wink> own by getting in touch with the smith.

And, <wink>he<wink> can get one in hand faster if he can live with a pistol (while they are still pistols).  The SBR means you are 1. waiting on the smith and then 2. waiting on the stamps to get it in hand.  It's a wicked cool project.  Good luck to your <wink>friend<wink>.

Yes, I'm poking fun at you 'cause your screename suggests you favor AKs and we already know you tried to live with an AR in the caliber.  Seems like your friend could easily be closer than you've implied.  But the <winks> are absolutely jabs-of-good-intention.

The reason I have that call sign is at one time I collected AK's, but when obama was elected I went from gun collector to SHTF and have only what I need

As for my friend ... he started his collection by buying 3 of my AK's .. 2 Polish & 1 Romanian  and stuck with them due to the easy mantnenance

As for the AK in question, he's going to try and get one without a stock
He has a Draco AK in 7.62x39 and a M85 in 5.56 so why not one in 300 bk if it's possible

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
He just received a reply to a email he sent that said....

"Sorry we do not offer that service"

So he will not be able to get one (right now), but is it possable

He's planning to use the info I sent him and check around and see if anyone else can rechamber a AK pistol or rifle in 300 bk

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
EDIT to spit out some of the dirt from my boots:  Ignore much of what I said regarding barrels and chambers.  Somehow (since I'm not an AK guy) ... I overlooked the fact that AKs are plenty available in 7.62.  Seems you'll actually need a smith to cut a chamber in a barrel that hasn't had the wrong chamber cut ... much cheaper and easier to accomplish.  So ... apologies for typing so much before thinking.

If I was in on this quest, I would be talking to Ranger Point Precision for leads with the unspoken hope of sparking their interest.  He will need more than just a chamber job.  He is going to need someone to make him a barrel and a custom gas system.  The guys at RPP are the best smiths I know in the Houston Area, but I have know idea how they regard AKs.  I'll just say they have the ability to do this job if your friend sparks their interest.  He's definitely knocking up against a one-of custom barrel and gas system job based on the text of the article you found.  It's been done once, but the guy that did it seems to want to have the only example.  I believe the builder from your article will be much more likely to "talk shop" with the guys at RPP versus your friend.

Your friend should understand that RPP builds amazing 10mm Lever Action rifles for a ~$1000 rifle plus a couple grand to complete the conversion.  He's not seeking anything anyone will have stashed away on a shelf.

If he wants 10, the price will sting a lot less.  If he can sell them on the idea that there is an actual, measurable demand - the cost will barely sting.

The reason I have that call sign is at one time I collected AK's, but when obama was elected I went from gun collector to SHTF and have only what I need

As for my friend ... he started his collection by buying 3 of my AK's .. 2 Polish & 1 Romanian  and stuck with them due to the easy mantnenance

He has a Draco AK in 7.62x39 and a M85 in 5.56 so why not one in 300 bk if it's possible

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
EDIT to spit out some of the dirt from my boots:  Ignore much of what I said regarding barrels and chambers.  Somehow (since I'm not an AK guy) ... I overlooked the fact that AKs are plenty available in 7.62.  Seems you'll actually need a smith to cut a chamber in a barrel that hasn't had the wrong chamber cut ... much cheaper and easier to accomplish.  So ... apologies for typing so much before thinking.

If I was in on this quest, I would be talking to Ranger Point Precision for leads with the unspoken hope of sparking their interest.  He will need more than just a chamber job.  He is going to need someone to make him a barrel and a custom gas system.  The guys at RPP are the best smiths I know in the Houston Area, but I have know idea how they regard AKs.  I'll just say they have the ability to do this job if your friend sparks their interest.  He's definitely knocking up against a one-of custom barrel and gas system job based on the text of the article you found.  It's been done once, but the guy that did it seems to want to have the only example.  I believe the builder from your article will be much more likely to "talk shop" with the guys at RPP versus your friend.

Your friend should understand that RPP builds amazing 10mm Lever Action rifles for a ~$1000 rifle plus a couple grand to complete the conversion.  He's not seeking anything anyone will have stashed away on a shelf.

If he wants 10, the price will sting a lot less.  If he can sell them on the idea that there is an actual, measurable demand - the cost will barely sting.

The cost will not be the problem, just finding someone who can do it is at the top of the list

If he can buy a Chinese AK in 556 for $1500 and 12 mags for $700, the cost is child's play in this case

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
and we already know you tried to live with an AR in the caliber. 

I tried one to use with my CQC/CQB training and home defense

It worked good for home defense,but when I tested it with my SHTF vest, it was too bulky with that many calibers

I'm looking at getting a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 ... it uses the same ammo as my PPQ and I can carry more of it then the 300 bk

The   ONLY   reason I have a AR-15 instead of a AK is the 7.62x39 would be hard to find in combat and the 556 AK's are high priced, I bought the AR for  $650 and learned how clean one

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 07:15:09 AM »

It worked good for home defense,but when I tested it with my SHTF vest, it was too bulky with that many calibers

I'm looking at getting a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 ... it uses the same ammo as my PPQ and I can carry more of it then the 300 bk

The   ONLY   reason I have a AR-15 instead of a AK is the 7.62x39 would be hard to find in combat and the 556 AK's are high priced, I bought the AR for  $650 and learned how clean one
If you survive the first 24 hours as a civilian in an urban combat environment you will likely be able to pickup your choice of a full auto AR or AK plus all the ammo you need.

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »

If you survive the first 24 hours as a civilian in an urban combat environment you will likely be able to pickup your choice of a full auto AR or AK plus all the ammo you need.

You're being pretty dang generous Mike.  I was thinking 3-4 hours would cull the herd by about 95%.

Online AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 06:10:54 PM »

With my CQC/CQB training I did get some urban training

Besides the live fire training inside the  "fire"  house(s), I did some around the buildings and some sniping from the top windows and roof so I do have some knowledge compared to other civilians