Author Topic: ..unions & the supreme court - hearing today..  (Read 619 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
..unions & the supreme court - hearing today..
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:38:37 AM »
here's a case in which I'm anxious to follow :

commercial pilots are "represented" by ALPA (air-line pilot's assn.) which is an "agency" shop - meaning "membership isn't mandatory but ya still have to pay us"

non-member, dues payer was my preferred status while I was working (vs member/dues payer)

over the years I found that "pilots" who didn't want to fly opted for supervisory position, the training department or union officers

no comments requested here (I don't care what anyone else's opinion might be as I put up with that for 31 years) - just posted the link for those that might be interested

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/02/26/heres-whats-at-stake-today-as-the-supreme-court-hears-janus-v-afscme-not-for-unions-but-for-states-balance-sheets/?utm_term=.94d7082120e1

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: ..unions & the supreme court - hearing today..
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
interesting to me - wondering what Gorsuch is gonna do now that the court is tied on deciding, along party lines.....

Offline randyjaco

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
I'm not much of a union fan. I have been in two, both were corrupt as hell and didn't represent anybody but their management. So you can guess how I hope it goes B-)

Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
I believe that when Gorsuch announces his decision the death rattle of mandatory "contributions" by non union employees will be heard.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
I believe that when Gorsuch announces his decision the death rattle of mandatory "contributions" by non union employees will be heard.

We'll see.  He is quoted as saying "A judge who likes every outcome he reaches is very likely a bad judge... stretching for results he prefers rather than those the law demands."

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:00:47 PM »
The Unions today have long outlived there usefulness.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 01:53:28 AM »
 The police guild (union) I belonged to in a VERY blue major metropolitan city was the ONLY thing that kept the police from being totally neutered. Liberals HATE the police and will do anything to limit their effectiveness. 364 days out of the year their attitude is 'FU*K the pigs! SCREW the PO-LICE' until the one day of the year when their fat azzes are in a jam they then scream: 'HEEELLLP! POLICE! HEEEEELLLP!' So no, unions have NOT outlived their usefulness, IMHO.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:29 AM »

The police guild (union)..was the ONLY thing that kept the police from being totally neutered..

not doubting you but curious as to "how" and "why" the police would have been "totally neutered" without the (union) ?

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 02:29:35 AM »
Well, for starters, forcing the officers to be disciplined only by a panel made up of civilians appointed by the mayor (both with an axe to grind against the police). Then allowing any transfers within the department to be made for any reason management sees fit instead of good cause (read: punishing those who are opposed to the 'party line' or to favor a boot-licker). Plus promoting out of order to meet 'goals' (in other words, reverse discrimination). Those are a few examples that come to mind. There is a very old mantra in police work: 'all you have to do is answer the radio'. If you want a police department that is demoralized, punished for pro-active police work, and whose officers can't wait to either quit, transfer to another department or retire then take away their union representation, period, end of story. By the way, police officers, like everybody else, have the right to free association. Just as you have the right to join a church, bowling league, or the Elks.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
well ya know every individual has the opportunity to "move on" to something they're more comfortable with in life - I've done it and there's millions of others who've done it

folks in law enforcement have a wide variety of places they can go and be happy