Author Topic: Kel Tec SUB 2000 Gen 2 9mm w/Glock Mags  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Kel Tec SUB 2000 Gen 2 9mm w/Glock Mags
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
Dred posting on another thread today about shooting his SUB 2000 with the M&P magazines made me realize I had a NIB SUB 2000 that accepts Glock magazines sitting unloved in a back closet. I took it out of the box once then folded it back up, put it away and basically forgot about it.
Opened it up today, adjusted the stock and gave it a good going over. Right after I bought it I saw Classic Arms had Korean made 50 rd drum magazines on sale for $30 so I picked one up. Seems to fit nice and tight. It comes with a Glock 15 +1 magazine. I have several Glock 32 rd mags for my Freedom Ordinance FX 9 so I'm welled stocked. Off to the range tomorrow hopefully.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Kel Tec SUB 2000 Gen 2 9mm w/Glock Mags
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »
looks like you could use it as a "chair" at sporting events (front of the drum is the seat, underside of the barrel is a back rest and the stock looks to be about lower leg length - cool)

so is that in .357 sig ?
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
Let us know how it works. I had heard that the rear "stock" can hurt as it bangs your chin/side of face.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Let us know how it works. I had heard that the rear "stock" can hurt as it bangs your chin/side of face.
Funny you should mention that. In the pic below you can see the stock release mechanism on the top of the shoulder stock. It was all the way up and I adjusted it all the way out. Why Kel Tec settled on this design is  :thinker: Your supposed to push in a thumb piece at the back and squeeze the sides and that will release the adjusting pin only it doesn't work that way. At least not for me. My ass may be dumb sometimes but I'm not a dumb ass. I usually can figure things out but after a half hour and only getting the pin 3/4 of the way out I gave up and called my wife over for help. She managed to get it out OK but it took both us to get it aligned and back together. Why they didn't go with a simple Allen wrench set up, like most aftermarket stocks, is puzzling.
After getting it together I checked the sight picture and yup that adjusting piece digs right into my cheekbone. Hope there is some kind work around.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
On the older version, people wrapped that tube in pipe insulation. The newer generation has a few changes. Not sure if it will work on that version.

Also read that the older version will grab your beard, if ya have one.

I have come so, so close to buying one many times over the years. I have heard it isn't that fun of a gun to shoot. But, the folding ability does give it a purpose.

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »
Funny you should mention that. In the pic below you can see the stock release mechanism on the top of the shoulder stock. It was all the way up and I adjusted it all the way out. Why Kel Tec settled on this design is  :thinker: Your supposed to push in a thumb piece at the back and squeeze the sides and that will release the adjusting pin only it doesn't work that way. At least not for me. My ass may be dumb sometimes but I'm not a dumb ass. I usually can figure things out but after a half hour and only getting the pin 3/4 of the way out I gave up and called my wife over for help. She managed to get it out OK but it took both us to get it aligned and back together. Why they didn't go with a simple Allen wrench set up, like most aftermarket stocks, is puzzling.
After getting it together I checked the sight picture and yup that adjusting piece digs right into my cheekbone. Hope there is some kind work around.

I like the pin adjustment setup 'cause it provides for tool less field strip/cleaning.  You will certainly figure out the pin - it annoyed me the first go but it took less than 30 seconds the second time once I knew there were shoulders where the smaller diameter section is at the middle of the pin.

The fold lock catch doesn't interfere with my cheek weld at all.  I did add:  https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-bolt-tube-cover.aspx to insulate my cheek from the bolt tube.  I also added https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-recoil-buffer.aspx and https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-recoilless-charging-handle.aspx.  A company called Tacticool also makes similar bits, but mcarbo is Veteran Owned.  Pics of the bits are in the ordr presented.

I'll be ordering https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-complete-trigger-job-bundle.aspx to address a sad trigger and probably https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-rear-tactical-sights.aspx if I don't throw glass at her.

I'm going to seriously shop for a M&P pistol, but if I choke on the idea of my first polymer pistol - I can convert her to accept CZ mags for <$50.  I honestly think the M&P will work but my 3x17rd and 1x32rd will hold me until she's partnered with a pistol.

Next time she's out, I'll be playing with a laser sight I picked up.  If I'm happy with the laser, she will run irons and laser.  If not, I'm looking at a 45 deg offset picatinny or a red lion indexing handguard to mount a red dot and retain foldability.  Red lion handguard here:  https://www.redlionprecision.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R11

K so ...  I should advise.  Kel Tec did sneak a recoil multiplier into this kit.  I'm wearin a nice bruise where the stock was braced on my shoulder.  It's strange 'cause my 10mm and 460 Rowland PCCs have never marked me.  I'm thinking that it is a side effect from the contorting I did to achieve a sight picture that worked.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »
Thank you for that information dred.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:41:10 AM »
This is just 17 rounds of Winchester 124gr NATO at about 1 sec per round off hand on the lower right target. Both upper targets were shot open sights. Lower targets shot with Bushnell Haste red laser AFG.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 06:35:16 AM »
As posted in the black rifle sticky....I need one of these.  Make mine 9mm for Glock mags (although I do not and likely will not own a Glock) and I'll take the "silver color" tube if it doesn't add much to the price.  :-)