Author Topic: ..the Wyze security camera..  (Read 4485 times)

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: ..the Wyze security camera..
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
I'm still messin' around on where to mount this little camera - right now it's sitting atop my Donkey Kong Jr Cocktail Table Video game in my Den - aimed - at nothing really.  just took a pic, of the pic and am showing it here - the thing "views" in 1080p.....very good quality (sorry my pic-taking isn't all that good) - perhaps this'll give ya some idea of it's $28 capabilities

That's a nice barber's chair do you give hair cuts on the side by appointment? LOL
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 05:27:20 AM »
I moved down here (from Amarillo), as a bachelor in '86 - got a very cool apartment and had it professionally decorated - I then bought the chair and the DK Jr cocktail game in downtown houston

used the DK Jr as a dining table - linen table cloth & napkins, china and silver settings, a pedestal champagne bucket for "entertaining"

the chair was also for "entertaining"   :icon_redface:
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
went to town to grocery shop today, left one of the tvs "on" with the Wyze camera pointed in it's direction.  Took along the Wife's IPad and stopped at Lowe's as they've got public WiFi - picked it up in their parking lot, activated the IPad and clicked on the Wyze app icon

worked great - live tv - couldn't see our dogs so asked my Wife to call home and when the answering machine activated to start calling the dogs - she did and guess they had been sleeping because we then watched them going from room to room looking for my Wife (sorry dogs, tricked ya..)

then too we tried the Dish Anywhere app - worked like a charm - got the same as we get on the Dish receiver in the house

technology - some good stuff there   :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
I have that Dish anywhere. Great for when your sitting in a waiting room and the TV is on CNN.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Rimfire Shooter
  • Trophy Husband!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »
went to town to grocery shop today, left one of the tvs "on" with the Wyze camera pointed in it's direction.  Took along the Wife's IPad and stopped at Lowe's as they've got public WiFi - picked it up in their parking lot, activated the IPad and clicked on the Wyze app icon

worked great - live tv - couldn't see our dogs so asked my Wife to call home and when the answering machine activated to start calling the dogs - she did and guess they had been sleeping because we then watched them going from room to room looking for my Wife (sorry dogs, tricked ya..)

then too we tried the Dish Anywhere app - worked like a charm - got the same as we get on the Dish receiver in the house

technology - some good stuff there   :th_thicon_idea:

you should be ashamed of yourself for tricking the dogs like that! shame on you!  :th_thicon_funny:
"A vote is like a rifle. It's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."  Teddy Roosevelt.

"Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
WalMart now only matches their own website at a large number of WalMart stores (they used to match all sorts of other stores).

So, I couldn't get them to match the price of the Arlo camera setup that Amazon had. But, I needed the system that day - so, I bought it at WalMart last week.

Well, the WalMart website lowered the price of the base unit and 1 camera by $40 yesterday. So, I went back with the receipt and box last night - They gave me a $40 refund. That was nice.

When I got back home - I saw that my Sandisk 256GB flash drive dropped by $3. On the way to work, I swung by another WalMart and got my $3 back. I'll take it!

Apparently they will only do that for 7 days (match a price decrease). Of course, you could just return the entire thing and repurchase the item at a lower price if it gets past that 7 day window.

But, $43 back on my camera setup... That's great.

I bought a 2nd add on camera for my system on Sunday - BestBuy matched the Amazon price - so, I was able to get the 2nd Camera for $150 instead of $189.

Once I finish paying everything off, I will add 1 more camera. But, it was kind of an emergency buy given my problems with the neighbor. I like how it alerts me on my phone instantly - when it detects motion.

In 1.5 more months, these neighbors will be gone. Hopefully, whoever moves in next door afterwards won't go in and out all damn day long. I'm tired of watching all these videos  :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Axxe55

• Rimfire Shooter
  • Trophy Husband!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
something i'd like to add to this. going with these security systems with cameras is a pretty good idea for sure. but you might also contact your insurance agent and let them know, because they may offer a discount on your homeowner's insurance policy. even if you rent and have renter's insurance, they might also offer a discount. sure wouldn't hurt to ask.
"A vote is like a rifle. It's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."  Teddy Roosevelt.

"Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
just ordered a 2nd Wyze camera - they're a few less $s on the Wyze website (vs amazon) - using the 1st one to watch the "inside" Dogs and will use the 2nd one to watch the Horses

the Wife is on her way to Sydney, with her IPad and will use her hotel's internet connection to see how the reception will be on the other side of the world

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
something i'd like to add to this. going with these security systems with cameras is a pretty good idea for sure. but you might also contact your insurance agent and let them know, because they may offer a discount on your homeowner's insurance policy. even if you rent and have renter's insurance, they might also offer a discount. sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

I think you need an actual alarm for the discount.

I did insure my setup thru my insurance company, though. So if the cameras get stolen outside, I am covered at replacement cost.

I am more and more impressed with the Arlo pro setup. What is really cool is that they use rechargeable batteries - so, no wires whatsoever.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »
by going up on the Wyze camera online forum I was able to get the help that I needed to get my 2nd camera up and running - very cool

so cool that I just might get additional cameras to augment my normal 4 camera security system - can lose for just about $25 a pop

(just a matter of learning which buttons/depictions to "push" to get things going - it's a learning process for this non-techy guy)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »
I swear it's like an addiction. I'm looking at adding one more camera and a doorbell/camera/intercom.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
I swear it's like an addiction. I'm looking at adding one more camera and a doorbell/camera/intercom.

I know. I went a different way because I needed my cameras outside and wireless - but I have 3 Arlo Pro cameras now. Its nice to be able to see what is going home at home when I am away

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
I have a 16 channel camera system, with 13 cameras and sometimes feel naked, like I need 3 more.  Snagged license plates at the last house, but too far away to do that now.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »
I moved down here (from Amarillo), as a bachelor in '86 - got a very cool apartment and had it professionally decorated - I then bought the chair and the DK Jr cocktail game in downtown houston

used the DK Jr as a dining table - linen table cloth & napkins, china and silver settings, a pedestal champagne bucket for "entertaining"

the chair was also for "entertaining"   :icon_redface:

No WONDER you're a bitter AHOLE like me... You're from Amarillo too?
In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:10 AM »
"from" only in that I lived there for 4 years

I was living in Hawaii, my soon to be Wife was visiting the Islands from Amarillo, we met and had a relationship for some time - we then married in Hawaii and lived there until my company shutdown the base (airline)

she maintained a home in Amarillo so we moved there in '83 - I commuted to Houston for 4 years before I realized the commute was starting to kill me and I decided to relocate - she couldn't/wouldn't leave family so we "parted ways" in '86

we still communicate

so that's how I'm "from Amarillo"

Offline Darkpriest667

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 05:47:22 AM »
"from" only in that I lived there for 4 years

I was living in Hawaii, my soon to be Wife was visiting the Islands from Amarillo, we met and had a relationship for some time - we then married in Hawaii and lived there until my company shutdown the base (airline)

she maintained a home in Amarillo so we moved there in '83 - I commuted to Houston for 4 years before I realized the commute was starting to kill me and I decided to relocate - she couldn't/wouldn't leave family so we "parted ways" in '86

we still communicate

so that's how I'm "from Amarillo"

Wow that commute must have been horrible.. 10 hours?
In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 06:04:35 AM »
actually I flew but the time it took was usually 5-6 hours, depending on the connects (nothing non-stop)

the "drive", with I didn't do then is 9-10 hours

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
a follow-up on the Wyze camera set-up.....Wyze has now come out with a V2 - and - a new camera that "pans"

https://www.wyzecam.com/

the V2 cam is still $20 and the new "pan" cam is $30 (they'll both connect to a cellphone/IPad/whatever for remote viewing)

I just ordered the "rotating" one for myself (to go along with the two V1 cameras that I already have - they're both set-up on my cellphone and the IPad)

Also ordered one of the V2 cameras for my Buddy (and his Wife) - it'll be sent directly to him

I'm really hyped about these cameras and their capabilities - plus my Wife enjoys "spying" on me, the Dogs and the Horses when she's on a trip out of the Country (she takes the IPad with her..)

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
Thanks Tango for the link.  I do not understand how they can sell their PT camera for $30.
So I guess I'll just have to buy one.

And I just did.  Thanks.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »
you're welcome - I've been very pleased with the 2 that I've got hooked-up - the new "rotating" one will be interesting, to say the least

my Buddy, for whom I've bought the V2 camera, is about as techno-challenged as I - so I'll probably be on the phone with him, after he gets the camera, flopping around my wee bit of knowledge to help him set it up    :th_thicon_lol: