Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »
Retired LEO here from western WA state (Seattle area). Been to Texas and will visit in the future. Friendly folks and good (but different) food. One issue: I am very uncomfortable when the temperature is above 75 degrees (one of the reasons I live in Washington). Greetings from the Evergreen State!

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:57:33 PM »
Welcome aboard!
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
Howdy from Brazos County. Was born at Ft. Lewis Madigan Army Hospital 65 plus years ago. Father was a career Army officer.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:39 AM »
Glad to have ya!

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I was in Washington last May.  Bellevue and Seattle was very interesting to visit. Mt. Rainier was nice to vist too. I hope I get to go visit again. You might want to visit before March ends to likely avoid temps above 75.

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:26:45 PM »
Glad you liked Mt. Rainier. I hate to admit it, but after living 55+ years in Washington state I have never visited same. Kind of like a Texan never visiting the Alamo (I have been there). I will be driving to Dallas in mid-March and am hoping for an arctic front moving in while I am there. When you decide you visit again give me a shout; lots to see and do in this corner of the USA.

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:37:23 AM »
Glad you liked Mt. Rainier. I hate to admit it, but after living 55+ years in Washington state I have never visited same. Kind of like a Texan never visiting the Alamo (I have been there). I will be driving to Dallas in mid-March and am hoping for an arctic front moving in while I am there. When you decide you visit again give me a shout; lots to see and do in this corner of the USA.

No matter the state there is something about growing up right around something that seems to make it more "Old Hat" than an attraction. Been to the Alamo and the Texas history places several times. WWll Pacific Memorial... Lost count there but a lot of the state advertised attractions in and around Angelina Co. I have never been to. Glad to have you.
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
Retired LEO here from western WA state (Seattle area). Been to Texas and will visit in the future. Friendly folks and good (but different) food. One issue: I am very uncomfortable when the temperature is above 75 degrees (one of the reasons I live in Washington). Greetings from the Evergreen State!

welcome - there's a reason why it's called the "evergreen" state ..... best friend lives in Vancouver, Wa and he has moss growing on his north side ! ..... Wa has a lot going for it, in spite of it's politics and weather

'course I live in tejas (since '83) and, in my opinion, it doesn't have a lot going for it
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »

welcome - there's a reason why it's called the "evergreen" state ..... best friend lives in Vancouver, Wa and he has moss growing on his north side ! ..... Wa has a lot going for it, in spite of it's politics and weather

'course I live in tejas (since '83) and, in my opinion, it doesn't have a lot going for it

For some of us that have been here all our 68yrs and never been to all the far away places, just Texas is good enough. Aint seen all this state yet. No need to leave.

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Never pay full retail
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
For some of us that have been here all our 68yrs and never been to all the far away places, just Texas is good enough. Aint seen all this state yet. No need to leave.
I've been to some far-away places, and some not so far-away places..... and I'm not overly impressed.
In Texas, "He needed killin' " is a defense to prosecution.

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »
Then you need to visit Washington to increase your 'being impressed' statistics!

Offline Shield45

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 08:09:02 AM »
Then you need to visit Washington to increase your 'being impressed' statistics!
Visited WA state ONCE.
Pretty area.
Too much rain for me.
Ill take the TEXAS heat.

Havent traveled the world but have been around a little and Texas seems to fit the need nicely.
Ocean
Mountains (small ones)
Desert
Even pine trees or maples if your so inclined all within a day or so drive depending on where you start and where your heading.

Good food
Good people
Good times.

GOD BLESS TEXAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
Well said Shield45. Well said.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »

Ocean - ya mean that feces infested puddle that's called "the gulf" ?

Mountains (small ones) - it's called the "hill country", not the "mountain country"

Desert - yep, lots of that (even blows to the inside of your house when ya don't want it to..)

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »
Sup.

We heard about what happened up there with the soda; that sounds pretty rough. Sorry about that! :P

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Never pay full retail
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
Washington is on my bucket list. I have some old army buddies that live in Oregon and Washington State.
I will be headed that way some time.

I have driven up Hwy 1 and the 101 in California to the Oregon border - the redwoods are impressive.
Yosemite is nice to visit, the sequoias are even more impressive.

By impressed, I guess what I mean is actually living there. Lots of places are nice/interesting to visit.

I feel bad for people who are forced to live in states they do not like.

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Never pay full retail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
Ocean - well, at least there are beaches that you can actually access and enjoy.

Mountains (small ones) - The Chisos and  Guadalupe mountains are not in the hill country.

Desert - Terlingua, it's a dry heat.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »

Ocean - well, at least there are beaches that you can actually access and enjoy. - yep, wear a full body wet suit else you'll get that flesh eating crap and die

Mountains (small ones) - The Chisos and  Guadalupe mountains are not in the hill country. - guadalupe peak is something like 8700 feet ASL - wow - now that's Hill Country !  I used to point it out to folks as we flew over the El Paso area - don't believe anyone looked up from their meal

Desert - Terlingua, it's a dry heat. - electric stove produces "dry heat" - dare ya to touch one of the burners after it's been on a while

face it, the best things about Tejas are 1) no State income tax  2) red leaning politics (but tending to go the other way)

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
Welcome aboard .
I spent some time in Washington at Paine AFB from March 57 to Sept 58 and had a good time there.
Me and some buddies went fishing in a stream coming out of the mountains that
was so cold it would turn your legs numb in about 10 minutes.
Also did a drive to Snoqualmie pass , man that is beautiful up there.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 01:11:11 AM »
If you liked Snoqualmie pass you would love the North Cascades pass (not opened until the mid 1970's). Called 'America's Alps'. Can't stay in Texas for more than a week or so; 'dry heat' or 'wet heat' is still HEAT to me and I hate hot weather. I will take the rain any day; plus it keep the air clear and the mountains green. Whatever trips your trigger; a difference of opinion is what makes a horse race. P.S. The sugar soda tax is only within Seattle city limits, not the entire state.