Author Topic: 50 bmg deer kill  (Read 2172 times)

Offline larrykendellwebb

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
50 bmg deer kill
« on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »

It might suprise you at the end

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: 50 bmg deer kill
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
Boomer and I shoot a lot of .50 BMG.  The guy's description is BS.

While there's is a massive concussion next to the end of the barrel, there is not the same down range more than a few yards.
You can actually see that  damage in the scorched / broken foliage patterns and scraped-earth when shooting a .50 BMG from a prone position with the muzzle within a foot of the ground.

I expect he either wasn't showing an exit wound or skimmed it (bullet hits but doesn't penetrate, which would be similar to a sledge hit.  Or maybe it wasn't the same deer. 

Not buying it.  If you come to our next shoot, you can shoot Boomer, hey you can even stand near the muzzle and feel the pressure wave, but it's not what this guy is claiming.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:05:34 PM »
If I understand him correctly he's actually saying the bullet itself has such a large ball of air being forced around it as it blisters through the air that the near-miss of the bullet grazing the deer's nose killed it outright. The sheer destructive force probably either broke its neck, split the skull, and/or concussed it to death. It wouldn't surprise me if the bullet went supersonic at/around the time it struck, adding to the destruction.

If I'm understanding him right, judging by when he said that the bullet passing by sucked they eyeball out of the deer's head, that would have to mean in addition to the slug having its own shockwave, then it also generates its own vortex behind/around it too. That sounds a little hard to believe, but then again I have never had any experience with the ballistics on such a large round before.

If he ACTUALLY hit it, I would not be surprised to find that the deer would have been beheaded outright, and the ejecta splattered around for at least 20-30 yards, judging from what I actually HAVE seen of smaller hypersonic bullet impacts hitting deer heads in slow motion.

Offline larrykendellwebb

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:08:53 PM »
It sucked the eyes right out of the deer

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »
If the eye came out it's because he hit it. 
If a .50 sucked that much :) there's a lot of other safety issues that would come into play when fired in proximity to anything.  This one didn't.

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
larrykendellwebb
have you ever shot a Barrett or .50 BMG?

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:07 PM »
There looks like there's a laceration just beside the eye-socket. I'm going to agree that he might have grazed it just barely, but I didn't mean that the bullet had like a giant beach-ball or even basketball sized vortex around it -- more like maybe golf-ball sized, which again if he struck it just above the eye socket, would have still killed the f*** out of it like you said, sledge-hammer style.

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »
I've shot Boomer through an unweighted box reasonably close up.  Bullet goes in and out, no 'wind' / 'vortex' or 'blast', box doesn't move appreciably.
We can demo this at the next get together.

By the way, shooting a deer in many / most states with an FMJ bullet isn't kosher.  He was using a Hornady AMax 750 match round, which is effectively an FMJ with the CG moved slightly back.

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »
+1 Ceejmo. 

Offline Txhillbilly

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »
Keith Warren is a freakin IDIOT !  :thinker:

He actually shot the doe in the eye, and it exited through the other eye socket. You can see it hit her in the video.
The 50 BMG isn't a magical cartridge, it can't kill something by barely missing it.

Online Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »
Im wondering who toted that heavy rifle for his old fat ass... :)

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »

The 50 BMG isn't a magical cartridge, it can't kill something by barely missing it.

The amazing thing to me is when you hit something stouter than a paper target (but not granite) very often the exit hole isn't much bigger than the entry hole.  (except for MK211 rounds which are massive exit)