Author Topic: Ordered a new Custom Action  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
Ordered a new Custom Action
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
Like I need another rifle.  :bangheadonwall:

American Rifle Company come out with a new action,The Nucleus. It's on sale until 1-28-18 for $850 - A savings of $150. Their taking deposits on them for $250.
It has many of the features of ARC's original Mausingfield action,but is $600 cheaper in price.

https://www.americanrifle.com/product/nucleus-bolt-action-introductory-price-of-850-through-jan-26-with-deposit-425-non-refundable-deposit/

I'm thinking of doing a 22 Creedmoor on this rifle,nothing like pushing a 75-80 projectile at 3500 fps and smoking some varmints a long ways off!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Ordered a new Custom Action
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:50:02 PM »
Very cool!

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 05:04:26 AM »
Old man can learn. Hope this one has a lot of education discussion for me to enjoy.
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
Old man can learn. Hope this one has a lot of education discussion for me to enjoy.

Papabear,It's a very simple process to assemble one if you use an action from Savage,Shilen,American Rifle Co.,or Bighorn Arms. They all use the Savage barrel thread size/pitch,so any Standard Shank pre-fit custom barrel that will work on a Savage will screw right into the actions. The only tools that you need are a Barrel Nut wrench,and an Action Vise,along with the correct Head Space gauges.
The custom actions all use the Remington 700 footprint,so they fit in any style of stock for the 700,and also use any type of custom trigger assemblies that work with the Remington 700.

I've built/assembled over a dozen of these types of rifles for me and my friends over the years. From just putting a new barrel on a stock Savage rifle to putting together some really nice rifles that shoot really good.
Building a bolt action rifle off a Savage style action is just as easy as putting an AR-15 together from a pile of parts,they are like adult Lego sets.

Here's a few that I've put together-

6.5-06

260 AI

6.5 Creedmoor's

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »
Thank you for the pics. I like lookin at fine firearms. Never would have thought it that simple.
BTW my Dad was a lefty too. Son is too. Must have skipped me.
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
NIFTY but "too rich for my blood".

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »
I've almost talked myself in buying a Manners EH5 stock for this action. I have always liked Manners stocks, but damn they are expensive!

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 09:13:26 AM »
The barrel will be a 1-8 twist Wilson Arms SS in a lite varmint contour. I'm going to cut it to 20", and thread it for my suppressors.  Ragged hole barrels will do the barrel for me, they said they'd buy the 22 Creedmoor reamer if I'd pay $50 more for the barrel. That will save me over $100, since I won't need to supply the reamer.

For a trigger, it will either be a TriggerTech Diamond or a Bix'n Andy TacSport.

Optics are still undecided!  I want to look at the new Athlon Ares ETR scope before I figure it out.

Offline Axxe55

• Rimfire Shooter
  • Trophy Husband!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
i am looking forward to seeing this one being built like the last one.  :wave1:
"A vote is like a rifle. It's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."  Teddy Roosevelt.

"Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
I changed my mind on the barrel, and ordered two 20" X-Caliber 1-7 twist 5R barrels in 22 Creedmoor. They were having a 25% off sale in April, so it was like buying a barrel and getting the 2nd one half off.

I also bought a KRG Bravo chassis for it after finally talking KRG into selling me a Bravo outer shell with a LH Whiskey 3 chassis backbone installed in it. I will still need to modify the outer shell for a LH bolt, but I wanted this stock for this build. A big thank you goes out to Justin at KRG for getting this done for me.
I'll have the only LH Bravo chassis in existence, until someone else builds one themselves!

I will talk to Trigger Tech at the NRA convention on Saturday, so maybe I'll have a trigger in hand for it.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »
The KRG Bravo chassis arrived,so I modified the outer shell for the LH bolt handle.

The Trigger also showed up,a well as the new scope I bought - the Revic PMR 428. The scope will take some learning for this non-tech Redneck!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
didn't I read, somewhere, that you said you were finished building rifles ?????   :th_thicon_lol:
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 03:18:37 AM »
didn't I read, somewhere, that you said you were finished building rifles ?????   :th_thicon_lol:

No,I'm done building AR's!
I'll always build custom bolt actions.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 10:20:02 PM »
Got a surprise today,my X-Caliber 22 Creedmoor barrels arrived. Now,I'm just waiting for the action to get here.

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 05:27:28 AM »
he Revic PMR 428.

care to give a quick review of it? glass quality, etc?

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »
he Revic PMR 428.

care to give a quick review of it? glass quality, etc?

I'm waiting on my rings to show up. USPS has been sending them back and forth between Seattle and Ft.Worth since June 4th.

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »
I'm waiting on my rings to show up. USPS has been sending them back and forth between Seattle and Ft.Worth since June 4th.

Had you at least looked through one before ordering?

Their business model perplexes me. Cool tech and very interesting, but I will never buy a scope/optic without "hands on"/looking through it.

So I may have to pay you a visit when USPS gets their head out of their you know what. :)

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »

Had you at least looked through one before ordering?

Their business model perplexes me. Cool tech and very interesting, but I will never buy a scope/optic without "hands on"/looking through it.

So I may have to pay you a visit when USPS gets their head out of their you know what. :)

Sorry for the much delayed response. Yes,I spent a long time handling one of these scopes before I decided to buy one. The guy's at Gunwerks that make Revic scopes know their stuff. They basically installed everything but the range finder from the G7 BR2 into this optic.
The scope is built by LOW in Japan,and is basically the same scope as a Vortex Razor HD gen 2 with a ballistic computer installed inside.

I still haven't had time to mess with it yet,but I did get the rifle built last week.

My action finally arrived,so here's the pics of the build.

Since the recoil lug indexes off the groove in the scope rail,I bought ARC's Barloc system instead of using a standard style barrel nut. It's an ingenious invention by ARC. The only tools needed to install and headspace the barrel is the small spanner wrench for the nut,and a hex wrench for the Barloc,along with your Go - No Go gauges.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
Next,I installed the TriggerTech Diamond trigger on the action.

Then I put it in the Bravo chassis and torque the action screws down. After that the rings and scope get mounted,leveled,and bore sighted.

The ARC M10 34mm rings-

Here's the final setup,ready to shoot! Now if it will just quit raining when I'm off work,I'll see how it shoots!

Offline Axxe55

• Rimfire Shooter
  • Trophy Husband!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 12:16:07 PM »
WOW!!!! :thumbsup1:

very nice indeed Hillbilly. i like it.  :rocknroll2:
"A vote is like a rifle. It's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."  Teddy Roosevelt.

"Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata.