Author Topic: Airtravel rifle cases.  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
Airtravel rifle cases.
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
Any recommended brands and models for double rifle air travel?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Airtravel rifle cases.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
Pelican is the best...

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:22 PM »
Pelican is the best...

Agree completely.
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »
No question the Pelican case Boomer came in is an excellent case.  But Blaster came in an SKB case, which has several features I like better than Pelican.  Both are ~ 52" long.   The latches are easier to use and price is better are the most obvious for the SKB.  I like the wheels on the Pelican a little more, but both are good.  Note the SKB has a handle on both ends plus the middle, while the Pelican only has a handle in the middle and 1 end for towing.   The wheels are a bit difference and I like the Pelican mounting better.  Other than that they're very similar construction wise. 

My 2 cent.

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »
Pelican.

Be sure to put your name and cell phone number on the outside of the case. TSA and the airline ask you to open it for inspection at baggage checking but I have had TSA do a secondary check after the fact and I was called on my cell phone to unlock the case. Had th y not contacted me they said they would not allow the case to be loaded onto the plane or they could cut the locks and check it and then tie wrap the lugs closed. So I “laminated” a small piece of paper to the outside of the case with clear packing tape that has my name an phone on it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:00:53 PM »
I've been a pelican junkie since my camera equipment days.  I like them very much and strongly recommend their ice chests as well.

But ... they used to truly dominate the market.  That has changed.  Heck, the last two cases I've acquired are Planos.  Yes, Plano has finally offered an, IMO, quality case which is comparable to Pelican at a fair margin below half the price of a Pelican.  I'd suggest you look at Plano's All Weather Tactical line-up.  Yes, it's still the gosh'd-aweful pick and pluck sponge foam just like you get in a Pelican from most places.  Neither of my Plano's are actually set up to carry guns yet - I will be buying Kaizen foam for similarly sized Pelican cases to do my final setup of these cases.

If you go Pelican - I recommend you check out https://www.thepelicanstore.com/ and seriously consider the Kaizen foam upgrade they offer.  They are generally priced competitively enough to cover the cost of shipping.  Also, Craigslist and Ebay can be your friends if you aren't allergic to a few scuffs - Pelicans don't break or wear out.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »
To All,

The BEST rifle cases (IMO) are the AIR DROP CASES for paratroopers equipment, that are sometimes available from military surplus dealers. = THICK aluminum alloy with DEEP padding inside. = I paid 50.oo for mine & it's been all over the Globe over the last decade plus.
(I'd bet that a firearms inside mine would survive the WORST that airline baggage "GORILLAS" can throw at it.)

My "army case" easily holds a pump-shotgun, a scoped high-powered rifle, 2 pistols & several boxes of ammo.
(I'm NOT sure what sort of equipment that the case was made to hold. Maybe NOT weapons.)

yours, satx
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:38:59 AM by satx78247 »
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 05:47:51 AM »
Never knew of these but don't doubt our Military has thought of them. learn something every day.
Thank you.
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.

Offline Shootshellz

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »
IMHO don't waste your money on any plastic case. Saw a 'good' one demolished by a scissors luggage lift at the Denver airport. Plastic cracks/splits/shatters while metal only bends. Mine is heavy gauge aluminum 'house brand' purchased at Cabela's.

Offline Axxe55

• Rimfire Shooter
  • Trophy Husband!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
IMHO don't waste your money on any plastic case. Saw a 'good' one demolished by a scissors luggage lift at the Denver airport. Plastic cracks/splits/shatters while metal only bends. Mine is heavy gauge aluminum 'house brand' purchased at Cabela's.

doesn't matter what it's made of, or who makes it, for airline travel of guns, it has to be TSA approved.

and yes, aluminum will bend, while any plastic if enough force is exerted, will break or shatter. but in all honesty, if there is enough force to bend or break a case, the contents are usually going to be damaged anyways. so IMO it's kind of  moot point.

i have owned a few Pelican cases in the past. they are just about the toughest commercial cases available on the market. or were years ago anyways.
"A vote is like a rifle. It's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."  Teddy Roosevelt.

"Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata.

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:36 AM »
Pelican - here's their warranty label

It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies ya'll. Last night I bought the Pelican 1720 and a pelican 1200 small case to carry ammo with it as well. I wanted a shorter than 50" case to fit in the back of the cars better.

I can tell you they stand by their warranty on their phone cases from 2014. They are sending out 2 replacements for the phone holsters that broke. No hassles and this is the second time doing it.