Author Topic: Check out this Ruger 9mm carbine  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:02:07 PM by Shipwreck »

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Check out this Ruger omm carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
not bad (for someone..)  and I see that one can convert the mag well to accept Glock mags
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: Check out this Ruger omm carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
not bad (for someone..)  and I see that one can convert the mag well to accept Glock mags

Jeff Quinn was testing one with the 30 round gluck sticks and had 1 FTE & 1 FTF.
He immediately claimed it was the ammo,, but I call BS on that.

The 30 round sticks also malfunctioned in my JR Carbine simply because they move around way too much , way too much slop. I use nothing but G17 mags now, and never had a failure on one of those.

This Ruger carbine should be a hit with the 10-22 guys.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Check out this Ruger 9mm carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
I brought my new Freedom Ordinance FX AR 9 "Pistol" in 9mm to the Madisonville meet. Thought I would post a photo for the folks that didn't make it. Barrel is 8" and takes Glock mags. Shockwave pistol brace. Can use MLOK  and picatinny attachments. 4X32 Scope with fiber optic sights on top. IProtec flashlight/strobe. The magazine shown is a 32 rd Glock that I found in my brothers desk after he passed away last year. Thought it may be of use one day so I threw it in a drawer where I keep my misc. holsters and stuff. Got the scope to zero at 50 ft at the indoor range.
Image hosting by Novarata PicPaste
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:36:40 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
Very cool

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
I believe I would have been more comfortable shooting it Pat if there had been a Laser instead of the Scope mounted - I had a hard time getting the gun into position so as to sight thru the Scope - and if it's going to be sighted in at 50 feet a Laser would do just fine

and I'm curious as to why the scope is set for 50 feet (?)

of course the "trouble" could have been me alone - a nice firearm however

Offline K-Texas

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • 36th Generation Viking!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
Glad to see that Ruger brought it back, even if only in 9mm. The reviews I've seen for the Federal Arms carbine have been very good and they use Glock mags. That's really the improvement with the Ruger PC. It will tak both Ruger and Glock mags with the included adapter.  :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
Tango, I picked that up three days before the meet and the scope arrived the following day. I spent a couple hours Thursday night putting the accessories on. I knew that the meet wasn't going to be a place where I would have the time to zero it out to 150 feet so I just brought it along as something different to shoot and let everyone have a try and offer their comments, good or bad.   
I found that adjusting the stock or "pistol brace" for the shooter is the key to getting a good sight picture through that scope. Before you arrived we all had a turn at it. Everyone had the same experience as you. I played around with different extensions while out there but got distracted by the suppressed .22 and a couple of other things. The Monday after the meet I gave it a good going over and Tuesday took it to the indoor range where the max distance is 50 feet. After about twenty rounds and a good half hour of  scope and stock adjustments I got two three shot groups in the nine ring just to the left of center. The first group I used the fiber optic sights that run down the top length of the scope and then used the glass for the second group. Perfect, no.  Good enough for right now though but still a work in progress. I'll take it back out in a couple weeks and see if it still holds true. I paid $50 for the scope so it's on the low end for a decent optic. It is marketed as a pistol though, 8" barrel, so I have no illusion that it will match my CZ Scorpion carbine in accuracy past 100 feet but it may surprise me.
I thought about putting a laser on the front bottom rail but then I would have to move the sling attachment back towards the trigger guard and I kind of like that where it is. May try a light/laser combo on the side where the light is now but that may be impracticable for storage. Like I said it's a work in progress and I am far from being finished.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
understand

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
I still have not laid hands on this yet, but the more reviews I see about this gun, the more it interests me for a vehicle carbine. Word is that it is more accurate than the CX4 is.

Offline HRM

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
I can only tell you from my own experience and test firing of a Beretta CX4, Kel-Tec Sub2000 and Ruger PCC, the Ruger is significantly more accurate and the recoil is less without the upward "slap" that the Kel-Tec and Beretta have. I'm up to 620 rounds through my PCC and the only problems have been with Freedom Munitions 147gr ammo, the velocity was all over the place and accuracy suffered a great deal.

The best defensive loads I've tried (so far) have been a tie between Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P and Speer God Dot 124gr +P. I've tried some 147gr defense ammo, but other that Buffalo Bore +P+ there isn't much if any velocity gain vs a G19 or Beretta 92FS. The highest velocity gain was with Federal 115gr +P+ ammo, accuracy was acceptable but not in the same class as the 124gr ammo the carbine seem to like. Best practice ammo, price vs accuracy, was Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and S&B 115gr FMJ. Winchester 124gr NATO was the most accurate FMJ ammo, but not worth the additional cost per round for target and training. My own handloads with a 124ge Berry's plated bullet are good, but I need to tune the load to the gun. The load I was shooting is tuned for my Beretta Wilson Combat Cen-Tac.

The images are with a P-Mag 10 round mag for a Glock 26. So far I've had no problems with Glock or Magpul 10, 15 and 17 round magazines. I did have trouble with 15 and 30 round ETS magazines, they're horrible in the carbine and my Glock 19.

Not the best pictures, I need to take some in sunlight was a good camera.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
Very cool!

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:04 AM »
I has more "features" that increase the price more than I need to spend.  If they come down to the $375-400 range I would buy one in a heart beat.

Offline pistolpete

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
Why didn't they build it to resemble a 10/22 carbine? Just more ugly plastic.

Offline K-Texas

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • 36th Generation Viking!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 03:09:12 PM »
I'm not sure I would argue Jeff Quinn's opinion on early FTF malfunctions. Particularly if the troublesome rounds were the low cost 115 gr. stuff. I picked up a loaded round at the range a while back, couldn't find any evidence of a defective round, so just for grins, I fired it over the chrono. It was weak enough to be laughable!

The Ruger 9mm PC has a unique action that uses a dead-blow mechanism that allows it to be +P rated. I wouldn't waste my time with low energy rounds. With a good slow burning powder, I have even considered  a handload using a well constructed 147 gr. JHP like the Hornady XTP. I like Accurate #7 for such applications and Vihta Vuori lists a load for the 147 gr. XTP @ 1206 FPS from a 4" barrel while still at Standard Pressure. From a 16" barrel and 3N38's slower burn rate to take advantage of the longer barrel, such loads could be pretty formidable. Maybe even Feral Hog capable.  :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:46 AM »
What is the XTP's velocity limit again?  I know I read it in your blog.