Author Topic: Model 15-2 snubby  (Read 305 times)

Offline Ingramite

• Rimfire Rabbit
  • The Texas Hill Country
    • View Profile
Model 15-2 snubby
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
https://ibb.co/goJOwb

I don't know if this link will work or not.
I'm not too sharp on posting pictures.....anyway.

I found a so-so condition S&W model 15-2 at a pawn shop today.
The Serial number is K7965XX.
Anyone have an idea of the birthdate on this one?

Oh yeah.....$500.00
Thanks, Tom
TEXIT

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Model 15-2 snubby
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Pinned barrel square butt so it was manufactured prior to 1983. There's a guy on the The High Road gun forum that has dated a couple for me but I haven't seen him post in awhile. It's probably worth a shot though. You might also try one of the S&W forums.
With the noticeable holster wear at the front of the cylinder and muzzle and the very noticeable cylinder ring it appears to be a handgun that was carried often and shot probably as much.Have you checked the barrel? Check the lockup and give it a "rattle" check. Very worn revolvers will sound like a baby's rattle when given a little shake. Decent examples for this model go for $600+. I would offer $400 and go from there. I love old Smith true snubs like this one. It has a little character and I wouldn't mind having it. If it passed the rattle test and everything else checked out I could see me buying it but not at $500 unless you caught me on a day when I was feeling a little nostalgic.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Model 15-2 snubby
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:39:45 AM »
Pinned barrel square butt so it was manufactured prior to 1983. There's a guy on the The High Road gun forum that has dated a couple for me but I haven't seen him post in awhile. It's probably worth a shot though. You might also try one of the S&W forums.
With the noticeable holster wear at the front of the cylinder and muzzle and the very noticeable cylinder ring it appears to be a handgun that was carried often and shot probably as much.Have you checked the barrel? Check the lockup and give it a "rattle" check. Very worn revolvers will sound like a baby's rattle when given a little shake. Decent examples for this model go for $600+. I would offer $400 and go from there. I love old Smith true snubs like this one. It has a little character and I wouldn't mind having it. If it passed the rattle test and everything else checked out I could see me buying it but not at $500 unless you caught me on a day when I was feeling a little nostalgic.

Agree completely w/ the above. Do you know how to check the lockup???
I do not want to offer a question that might seem somewhat insulting. You are military. Have a substantial post count so that tells me you are pretty educated on firearms. Younger age and semi-auto experience only due to late 20th and now 21st century can lead to just "Never heard of that".
I am a retired instructor. About 5 years ago or so I got a call from a mid 40s acquaintance that had lost his job due to a buyout.
He went through a gunsmithing school and was trying to certify as a LTC instructor for the state. He had not shot a revolver much to speak of and was having trouble reaching the score required for instructors.
30 minutes work on trigger control and he was ready to go.  BTW he is one fine Gunsmith now and doing well on his own.
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.