Author Topic: Church defense  (Read 688 times)

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
Church defense
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
I pastor a small country church in Deep East Texas. (1.5 yrs here 45yrs + in the ministry) For years I have had a defense plan that covered the common problems that occasionally take place.
After Southerland Springs I made some pretty major changes even in what a lot of preachers thought a little too much. Over the top.
Any other churches make changes after that incident first of November.???
Carry 24-7 or Guess right.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
Re: Church defense
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
papabear,

Pastor,

Over the last 3+ decades. I've carried at every church service & "a little bird told me" that MANY churches now have armed teams of members and/or HIRED security to protect the congregation from mass killers.
(When I used to live in Northern VA, I attended Robert E. Lee's Christ Church & the priests knew that I was always  armed.)

One Wednesday evening an associate pastor (female) said, "I'm made uncomfortable by knowing that you carry a loaded gun."
(I simply said that, "I'm sorry that you're uncomfortable" & said nothing else. - Fwiw, I carried concealed every day afterwards, as Christ Church and elsewhere.)

NOT a single person ever mentioned it again.
(The Good Book says that a soft answer turns away wrath.)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »
I know many are armed in a lot of churches. I have never pastored a church large enough to hire security. The one I am at now is in complete agreement w/ me. Southerland Springs will not happen at Pine Grove in Beulah community out of Diboll.
For that I am thankful.
We are WELL armed inside. 2 vehicles strategically parked outside w/ ARs easily accessed. One inside. One "Greeter" never closes his eyes during prayers. Safe room for the kids. We have had our first "drill" and it went really well. After holidays we will have another before LEOs come and watch what we do. Then they will join the drill and show the folks what to expect when they get there.
No place can guarantee absolutely no casualties. What we do guarantee is there wont be 20+ and anyone who starts that at our church is gonna have a bad day.

Offline RaySendero

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
Yes we made a change.
Before, a few decons carried.
Now, we have hired 2 police officers off duty.
Both drive police vechicles and park at the entries.
However, They chose to wear plain clothes.
Ray

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
Good. We are small and definitely don't have the $$s for hired security.
Wish we had a member that was LEO.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »
papabear,

Why not survey the congregation for a former paratrooper, MP, Ranger, USAF Commando or a Marine & who is a combat-experienced marksman??

yours. satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
papabear,

Why not survey the congregation for a former paratrooper, MP, Ranger, USAF Commando or a Marine & who is a combat-experienced marksman??

yours. satx
We have one. Also a former prison guard.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 08:47:07 PM »
papbear,

That's who I would START with. = IF he's any good as a marksman/teacher, get him to train others, is my advice.

yours, sat6x
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
Letís see.
Paster has a CHL and carries as do the lay minsters, deacons, ushers and most of the staff. We have ushers by each door to hand out bulletins and help partitioners.  I guess itís pretty safe.

When the shooting starts help if you can but donít get in the way. These old dudes train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline papabear

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
Letís see.
Paster has a CHL and carries as do the lay minsters, deacons, ushers and most of the staff. We have ushers by each door to hand out bulletins and help partitioners.  I guess itís pretty safe.

When the shooting starts help if you can but donít get in the way. These old dudes train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very good sir. Yes on the training. We have training drills even w/ the youth. They have a safe room. Our "caller" trains on the call in. I have trained on the distance from pulpit to the front door. Since the last guy started outside and that has now happened in several other places I train on getting to a stationed AR pistol. Magazine is on my belt so it is nothing but a stick if someone finds it and that is not likely. Another in my truck. train, Train, TRAIN.

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »
pappabear; All,

A "paper-puncher" & a combat marksman are FAR from the same thing. = The perfect person for this critical task has KILLED people, when other people were trying to kill him/her.

just my OPINION, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836