Author Topic: ‘I would do it again’: She shot an armed robber at work. Her company suspended..  (Read 976 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
‘I would do it again’: She shot an armed robber at work. Her company suspended her.

“He was screaming, he points the gun in my face,” Wertz said, “and I just point, cock and shoot, and protect myself.”

But there’s just one problem: the gas station suspended Wertz for two weeks because she shot the robber.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article174543656.html

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
"I would do it again."
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
Shipwreck,

Suspending the lady for defending herself from an armed criminal is in just ONE word: STUPID.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline Shield45

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
Lucky she wasnt fired.  Circle K has a no gun policy.
Stupid but policy.
Most convenience stores dont want the employees packing. In fact most have a give what they want policy IE non resistance. Stupid as well but policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Darkpriest667

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
The corner store companies are insured against robbery and don't give a shit if you die... The job is not well paying enough to die for.. hell the armed guard company I worked for had a policy that if you were robbed while making a delivery on the armored car the driver's orders were to drive off and leave the other officer to die.   Most of us had a pact not to do that because the company was insured for the money and we'd be damned if we were leaving someone to get shot.

She did the right thing.  It's too bad the POS survived because then he wouldn't procreate or drain us tax dollars.
In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
From a corporate perspective it makes sense. Guys don’t walk into a corner store to murder people.  They are there to rob it. Corp knows this and gives the cashier $200 in change she can give the perp.  That’s just enough to not get anyone killed. If it repeats enough though they implement countermeasures like bullet resistant glass and hire security. But let’s say they allow the cashier to be armed. First they have to train them. Insure them and when they shoot someone the Corp has to pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawyers fees. Unless they shoot an innocent 3rd party then it starts at a million. All for $200 in the till?  That’s crazy.

But that’s the game they play. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
From a corporate perspective it makes sense. Guys don’t walk into a corner store to murder people.  They are there to rob it. Corp knows this and gives the cashier $200 in change she can give the perp.  That’s just enough to not get anyone killed. If it repeats enough though they implement countermeasures like bullet resistant glass and hire security. But let’s say they allow the cashier to be armed. First they have to train them. Insure them and when they shoot someone the Corp has to pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawyers fees. Unless they shoot an innocent 3rd party then it starts at a million. All for $200 in the till?  That’s crazy.

But that’s the game they play. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They don't always not shoot the clerk...

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
mike609,

From a corporate view, allowing armed (and usually DRUGGED-UP) thugs to rob the store & assault or shoot the employees makes a certain amount of sense.

Otoh, PROTECTING the clerk's life from armed criminals makes great sense to the employees. = That's about SELF-DEFENSE.

yours, tex
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
On one hand,, I can see the stores ( 7 elevens. circle K's, etc, etc, )  point.  I seriously DOUBT most of their illustrious employee roster has very many highly trained firearm users.

Some of our convenience store  clerks I see in my area,, I would be afraid to hand them a sharp knife.
Some are known veterans that I know for a fact CC  though.

So they do have some good CC people,, but probably cannot take the chance on the kid with the IQ of a dishrag behind the counter armed. So NOBODY is allowed to carry.

This case seems to me they gottta stick to their guns and say NOBODY is allowed to carry, to cover their corporate butts legally. But they did only suspend her and didnt fire her. Which is KINDA telling.  Someone upstairs is probably quietly happy as hell she shot the guy. But they certainly cannot say that. 

A Company I worked for for 10 +  years made a big point at safety meetings,, blah blah blah,, no guns on Company property. My 10 man crew, 5 of us were armed conceal carriers. ( 3 veterans and 2 very competent firearm enthusiast, shooters, reloaders, etc ) We didnt flaunt it,, but they knew it. NOTHING was ever said to any of us.

But one day a big wig seen a young guy, who was known to be  somewhat of a bonehead, showing another young guy a gun, and he ripped him a new one. He didnt fire him, but threatened too IF he ever seen him with a gun again.  Meanwhile, myself & crew  were standing 30 feet away armed.  :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

So "corporate" does have to play with a blurry line legally.

On the other hand,, NOTHING  reforms or cures a criminal like a copper coated chunk of lead in the chest.
Once they know nobody is armed,, thats a soft target they frequently like to rob. 
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: ‘I would do it again’: She shot an armed robber at work.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
DCD327,

IF the "management" of convenience stores "had a brain" they would encourage LICENSED persons to carry on their retail premises.
(As I've said elsewhere. a person, who is trustworthy enough to be licensed by DPS as safe to carry a weapon ANYWHERE, is trustworthy/safe enough to carry EVERYWHERE.)

just my OPINION, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Any Houston old timers here remember Harris County Sheriff Jack Heard's notorious well advertised "shotgun squads" in the late 70's? During a string of violent convenience store robberies he had police armed with shotguns sit in the beer and soda coolers. Many a person was surprised to see a deputy wearing a coat in the middle of summer with a shotgun across his lap when they opened the door to get their sodas or beer.
Funny thing was robberies dropped 50% in the first four months. Who would have thought that. Best part was Sheriff Heard didn't give a rat's ass about what the naysayers thought or said about it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:52:30 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Any Houston old timers here remember Harris County Sheriff Jack Heard's notorious well advertised "shotgun squads" in the late 70's. During a string of violent convenience store robberies he had police armed with shotguns sit in the beer and soda coolers. Many a person was surprised to see a deputy wearing a coat in the middle of summer with a shotgun across his lap when they opened the door to get their sodas or beer.
Funny thing was robberies dropped 50% in the first four months. Who would have thought that. Best part was Sheriff Heard didn't give a rat's ass about what the naysayers thought or said about it.

That is pretty interesting...

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: ‘I would do it again’: She shot an armed robber at work.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
Shipwreck,

DALLAS COUNTY's Sheriff used to do the same. = CUT armed robberies to near ZERO.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

Fby 24, 1836

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
^^^^^ It actually started in the 60's with DPD.  And it worked, and it wasn't difficult to do the analysis of where the most likely convenience stores were.  They waited in the back of the store for some genius to show up with a gun, then stopped the threat.
I remember as a kid thinking how dumb some people could be to keep trying to rob a 7-11 when there was a pretty good chance (in the high crime areas) it was going to turn out messy.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
These aren't rocket scientists... They're robbing a store that has at most 80 dollars in the register.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum

Offline Darkpriest667

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
it's 70 thousand now.

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Good for her.

I  hope she uses it wisely.  :th_thicon_idea:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".