Author Topic: Is this new or surplus  (Read 3192 times)

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
Is this new or surplus
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:41:42 PM »
I bought some Federal 7.62x51  XM80C ammo at Walmart and when I opened the box I noticed most of the brass looked aged (not shiny)

Is this surplus??

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Is this new or surplus
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
Manufacturer? Never mind I see it's Federal. Thought it might be 3rd world military surplus.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
May have been sitting in an "open" humid warehouse or maybe the shipment got damp.  Brass cases tend to discolor if they come into contact with humidity.  They should shoot 100% but just don't look pretty. If it bothers you then you can always tumble them for a few minutes and they will look brand spanking new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »
May have been sitting in an "open" humid warehouse or maybe the shipment got damp.  Brass cases tend to discolor if they come into contact with humidity. 

What about the gun powder??

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:48:12 AM »
May have been sitting in an "open" humid warehouse or maybe the shipment got damp.  Brass cases tend to discolor if they come into contact with humidity. 

What about the gun powder??
It's milspec ammo, it will be fine.

When I was in the army, we shot some of the ugliest ammo you have probably ever seen.
It all went bang.

Milspec ammo is generally not shiny.
The .mil wants to see the annealing on the cases (the discoloration around the neck), so it is not tumbled.

Civilians like shiny and new looking ammo.

Offline AaronSig

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
    • Expert advisor
Is this new or surplus
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 03:25:16 AM »
What type of ammo is it?  I was just offered this as well and want to know why it was marked "surplus" yet didnt sell out in the great .22lr drought...
I recommend auto trading system for successful business

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:55:32 AM »
The kind that will go bang in your gun.

Who really cares what the casing looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
I buy XM33 from Federal / American Eagle.  I had the question about their ammo and asked them if it was reman, they replied they only sell new.  I expect that is the case for you also.

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Back when I was in the Army and rode with Custer, we had some 30.06 ammo for qualifying with the MI that was made in 1934.  It all went bang.  How did that ammo get through WWII and Korea without being used?  This was at Fort Leonard Wood in 1967.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
I won't buy WWB 5.56 anymore. Back when I had a Steyr AUG a few years back, I had some feeding issues - but ONLY with WWB 5.56. When I looked at the casings, each one had dents in it. BEFORE they were fired. Crappy condition. I always skip that now. Back at the time, I had taken some pics and posted them and posted about it.

Offline shiner1911

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
"New" surplus perhaps?

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
The U.S. government has been prevented from selling USGI surplus ammo for years.
It must be de-milled and the components can be sold.

That is new manufacture milspec ammo produced by Federal.
How new depends on the headstamp (it should show the year of manufacture.

Military ammo is not pretty.
The reason that brass looks the way it does is because they do not tumble the brass, so the annealing around the neck remains visible.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
I've bought a bunch of XM33 from Federal and while it's new Lake City with a recent headstamp, sometime the cases look like yours.

Offline K-Texas

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • BANNED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Part of what you're seeing just below the neck and up to the case-mouth is annealing. Generally, Lake City brass is good with Military designated (surplus) cartridges. I wouldn't let that bother me. It's good stuff so enjoy shooting it.

5.56 NATO is a bit different. A good bit of it is marked 5.56mm NATO on the headstamp with the NATO cross in circle and whether or not it's actually loaded to NATO spec, only your chronograph knows for sure.

Then there's what a number of component makers/data providers call 5.56 x 45mm NATO. Often times it's just .223 Data using a bullet over 65 grs. So, if you handload, you can make better 5.56mm NATO loads because Western Powders data is at NATO spec. Two different pressure levels where .223 REM is rated 55,000 PSI by SAAMI and 5.56 NATO is spec'd 62,350 PSI by CIP in Europe. If you're trying to reproduce the Mk 262 Mod 0 load proposed originally by Chris Kyle: the SIERRA 77 gr. MKBT w/cannelure, you can get there with TAC and A 2520. In our case, we use the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP w/cannelure and get 2750 FPS from the muzzle of 16" ARs. :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 07:41:10 PM »
Back when I was in the Army and rode with Custer, we had some 30.06 ammo for qualifying with the MI that was made in 1934.  It all went bang.  How did that ammo get through WWII and Korea without being used?  This was at Fort Leonard Wood in 1967.

I still have some   M1906  and .30 M1 ball ammo my Dad bought in the 1950's..

Dont look the purtiest, and I have it stashed away,,, but it still goes bang no problem.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »
... we had some 30.06 ammo for qualifying with the MI that was made in 1934.  It all went bang.  How did that ammo get through WWII and Korea without being used?

Easy:  DoD Logistics.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
... we had some 30.06 ammo for qualifying with the MI that was made in 1934.  It all went bang.  How did that ammo get through WWII and Korea without being used?

Easy:  DoD Logistics.

No doubt.

We were eating C  rats that were dated late 1945 - 49  in the early 1980's.  :sick2:

The 1950's MCI's were not much better.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »
No doubt.

We were eating C  rats that were dated late 1945 - 49  in the early 1980's.  :sick2:

The 1950's MCI's were not much better.
As much as we complained about the MCI rations when I was in,
they were not that bad. I liked the eggs and ham.

Although as a casual user, I think the current MRE's are superior. :)