Author Topic: Concerns about gun confiscation during public emergencies go-around 2  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Ochotona

• Mail Orders Gun Supplies
  • Cats, beware of Mouse Guns
    • View Profile
They're talking about taking people's weapons at the hurricane shelters in Houston. We went through a complete cycle through this topic four long years ago.
Ochotona Princeps

Online TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Concerns about gun confiscation during public emergencies go-around 2
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
It may not be confiscation, but no guns in the shelter, ala 30.06 / 30.07, but lawful owners have no way to take them back to their flooded home/

Offline Ochotona

• Mail Orders Gun Supplies
  • Cats, beware of Mouse Guns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
It's a bad situation all the way around with poor choices. Maybe best would be to pack them in a waterproof container and hide them in the attic, and hope they're there when you get back. Or put waterproof containers in the gun safe. Dang, what if the water froze up the safe and you could not re-open it?
Ochotona Princeps

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
It's a bad situation all the way around with poor choices. Maybe best would be to pack them in a waterproof container and hide them in the attic, and hope they're there when you get back. Or put waterproof containers in the gun safe. Dang, what if the water froze up the safe and you could not re-open it?
Most of what people use as gun "safes" are easily gotten into.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
Yeah, I'd guess an angle grinder and some cutoff disks would probably get you in pretty easily once your power gets back on.

Most civilian commercial gun safes are made to be bolted to the ground so they are not simply picked up and thrown in the back of a truck where they can be picked apart at leisure. Even tougher safes with thicker steel plating on the exterior and larger locking lugs will fall victim in nothing flat to a guy with a diamond-bladed circular saw of the kind they use to cut concrete with.

Some of them are insulated against heat such as a house fire for a certain amount of time... But honestly, if the thing gets submerged to the point that it seizes up on you, I'd just go ahead and kiss everything inside goodbye too because the water will probably reduce it all to rust by the time you get in there.

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
Welcome to the jungle. Or rather the zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »
My guns are the last thing on my mind right now. Far more important stuff to worry about.

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 06:00:46 AM »
Not everyone bolts their safe to the floor like they should.
and it still might be possible to use this method if it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ViUdd-2LM&ab_channel=CamaroLinxs

Videos like this one made sure I bolted mine down,
and I installed it into a closet and enclosed the wall so it has studs on either side to help reinforce the side walls.

Offline AaronSig

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
    • Expert advisor
Concerns about gun confiscation during public emergencies go around 2
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 03:04:33 PM »
I just hheard on the radio about several looters arrested in Houston.
I wish you all best and agree to keep a gun on you during times like this.
I recommend auto trading system for successful business

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
Friends,

This sort of thing is WHY every licensed  carry concealed person should be allowed to carry their weapon EVERYWHERE.

Fwiw, the safety statistics say that licensed carriers are actually SAFER with their handgun than the sworn LE officers are AND we CCW folks have far less ND than the LEOs do, too.

Imo, the SAFEST place for my little 9mm S&W Shield is in the holster on my western belt & under my usual garb of jeans,  long golf shirt & shoes/boots.

just my OPINIONS as a retired LEO.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
Not everyone bolts their safe to the floor like they should.
and it still might be possible to use this method if it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ViUdd-2LM&ab_channel=CamaroLinxs

Videos like this one made sure I bolted mine down,
and I installed it into a closet and enclosed the wall so it has studs on either side to help reinforce the side walls.

I had what I THOUGHT was a 1/2 decent gun safe,, until our one son had to leave his guns here for an overseas trip.  He showed me a video of guys opening it with a crow bars in about 1 minute. The problem was,  it did NOT have a solid steel plate front. The door was solid, but the frame was not, and they just bowed the frame until the locking lucks sprung.  Also, the locking lugs were short and easily bent with some prying.

So we went and got a Browing "BEAST".  Its totally solid steel face, LONG locking lugs that wont bend or bow. Even with all that, the sides are heavy gauge,, but still vunerable with a grinder. So I bolted & built it in. Walls on all side,, with double dry wall  on the inside, to enhance fire resistence, and plywood on the outside with tongue and groove over that and a million screws.   

Could you still break into it?  Probably,, but it would take ALOT of tools and large amount of TIME  ripping the walls all out to even get at it.  Thats another key issue. install it where its really hard to get at the safe door with long pry bars.

I left my old safe right out in the open where I had it, as it was already all bolted in and out of the way.  But it is NOW the ammo locker.

Along with a large living room fancy wood & glass gun cabinet , and a few really cheap 22 rilfes out for view . They are nothing that I either care about or couldnt be replaced. And I also made the display rifles inoperable but removing the firing pins. I also wouldnt like to be shot with my own guns if we came home to a  burglary. 

You can only do so much. But SLOWING criminals down is one of the best deterents there is.

(2) 100 + lb German Shepherds who really DONT like anyone but us also REALLY help.. .     :thumbsup1:

I think if we ever had a flooding issue and had to evacuate, ( never happen here @ 1400 feet ) , And had no options to take our guns with us,, I would take a caulking gun, seal the doors & any holes on the safes and hope for the best.

But the looters issue would have me pretty worried.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".