Author Topic: Burglar breaks in to your home, What are you willing / not willing to do?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
After reading about a home invasion, I'm wondering how most *have* reacted or would react based on training or other experience.
So the scenario is a burglar breaks into your home thru a window at night.
You hear something, and discover the (one) guy in a living room or kitchen. 
What would you do and why?

For me I'm thinking use wemo to turn on remote lights, have wife call 911 and cautiously approach with a 9mm Sig and request / determine compliance then act as required. (No Boomer, want to save my ears, not blow out the remaining windows, nor splatter the entire kitchen red. )

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
Acquire front sight....... Trigger press........

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Online DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Well, first off,,

He would have (2) 100 lb German Shepherds to deal with.

As long as the dogs  are having a good time, Im going to watch for a while. They LOVE their job & need to have a little fun now and again too.  Which, also gives me time to assess  how much of a threat the perp  actually is. :P

The only way Im getting involved is if he trys to "cheat" and use a weapon on the dogs.

If ANYONE breaks into my home with a weapon, they will be PERMANENTLY rehabilitated.

" WITH THE THUMB OF THE FIRING HAND, FLIP THE SELECTOR SWITCH FROM SAFE TO ROCK AND ROLL, AND COMMENCE FIRE"  :thumbsup1:

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline SomeDude

• Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
Is this a trick question? Is there any reason NOT to kill them?

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
Burglar breaks in to your home, What are you willing / not willing to do?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »
That would really depend upon the totality of the circumstances.  No I wouldn't kill them as a matter of course. You make the initial assumption that the person coming into your home is a burglar. Maybe he is drunk or confused, lost his keys and thinks he is breaking into his own home.  You have to watch him and see what he is doing to come to the conclusion he is burglarizing your home.  Everyone is upstairs at night so I can fall back to my bedroom and call 911. The junk in the house is cheap next to a Texas no bill grand jury trial which will happen to the tune of $10,000.  My TV ain't worth $10,000.  So say he makes it upstairs after me yelling I called the police.  Well then I might regrettable have to use deadly force to stop him.  I don't wan to kill him even though I have every right under Texas law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • Hits the Target
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
I have decided that I really don't want to answer this kind of question because I don't want to be on record with what I think I would do. 

But, unlike Mike I will not presume there is a innocent mistake involved or that the perp means me and mine no harm.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.

Offline mike609

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
I make no presumption. I analyze and respond. That might take a split second and it might take several minutes. Keep in mind you have the advantage. What you choose to do with that is your choice but I am not going to discard all but lethal force as my first choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
whatever one says their gonna do this or that in a situation as described, I say "hog wash" - nobody here can definitely say what he would do.....like to do, perhaps, but going to do - I call b.s.
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
whatever one says their gonna do this or that in a situation as described, I say "hog wash" - nobody here can definitely say what he would do.....like to do, perhaps, but going to do - I call b.s.

So I'll let you guys in on a secret, Dom and Ship make all these post up.  None of us are really here.

Offline AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
Something I was taught in my home defense training   "measure twice, cut once"  IE: check before you take action

Like Mike609 said .... Maybe he is drunk or confused, lost his keys and thinks he is breaking into his own home

A drunk would be confused and in no hurry, a burglar would be quickly looking around and holding some sort of weapon

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Personally, I would operate under the assumption that they pose a threat, however I am a firm believer of identification of the "threat" before firing, and would do my best to spot anything threatening or a "positive" response to my instruction (hands up/get on the floor or I will shoot!) before firing.
While I should be relatively safe from prosecution in any case of a night time intruder, I personally want to be absolutely certain that I don't shoot someone who just made a mistake.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum

So I'll let you guys in on a secret, Dom and Ship make all these post up.  None of us are really here.

We are not really here either. Jeb posts everything :)

Offline Patch

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
I would have to answer, I wouldn't know unless it happens.

I had a drunken friend break into my house in the middle of the night, looking for a place to sleep. When I met him in the hallway with my Beretta and flashlight, he sobered up quickly.

Then again I had my house robbed. Went to court to press charges when they caught the guy and a week later he was walking by my house.

At that point I had a John Wayne "Big Jake" talk with him, making it clear if my house was ever robbed again, by anyone,  I would come after him.

Online DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile

We are not really here either. Jeb posts everything :)

I often wondered about that.  :th_thicon_funny: :th_thicon_funny: :th_thicon_funny: :th_thicon_funny:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile

I'll call your bullshit, and raise you two horseshits.

How do you know how many of us hav'nt ALREADY dealt with a situation like this?

I certainly HAVE.  So I DO  know what Im going to do. Without a moments hesitation. Not a doubt in my mind.

Been there, did that.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Something I was taught in my home defense training   "measure twice, cut once"  IE: check before you take action

Quoted for truth. +50 billion to this. This forever.

I've disengaged from 4 potentially lethal situations already that would have been rough to say the least had I just played ballistic whack-a-mole.

I agree with Tango/DCD that it really does have to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Each instance involved extenuating circumstances that made squeezing a bad idea. There's no blanket answer, other than to say "Yes/No, I do (not) believe I have what it takes -- if after analyzing all probabilities and making a snap decision on the spot -- to pull the trigger on a confirmed threat" and then STILL really hope it you're right/wrong if and god forbid when it really comes down to it IRL.

(Note: I haven't taken any formal SDT classes though, mind you.)

Offline AKM-47

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
A trick I was taught using/training with a MP-5 was to keep the bolt open when I heard voices

I would slap the bolt closed letting the person(s) know I was armed ... the same thing I did with a 12 ga shotgun ... racked the slide

I was told well over 50% of the time the person(s) don't want trouble and will leave after hearing a slide being racked

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
But it does appear that the majority of us here are prepared for that possibility that it may happen. As someone who trained dogs in the military I'm a big believer in canine's being one of the first line's of defense. Within the last few months I've had to put down my two big dogs, my Rottweiler and my Weimer, due to health problems but mostly age. In November, after I retire for the second time, I'll remedy that when I get a new Rott pup. My wife's Springer Spaniel is a good dog, she'll spark off at about anything outside, but she is far from being intimidating.
I'm also a big believer in motion detector lights, camera's and good locks. A firearm, to me, is another layer of security that's is available. You defeat everything else and all bets are off. I've confronted many a bad guys during my time as an LEO but I've never had to confront anyone inside my house although I have had a few encounters with local thieves, one in my garage and two in my driveway and on another occasion, years ago, with two unfortunate a**holes I caught at 3AM (thanks to a weak bladder) trying to defeat the door lock on my sisters cabin when we were on vacation.
Like others here I will evaluate any unfortunate situation as it occurs but there's no doubt that I'm prepared mentally to address any evil that makes a deliberate choice to enter my life or the lives of my family. 

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
oooooh, I'm seeing a lot of angst here - musta stepped on someone's toes  :th_thicon_lol:

I'll stand by my post and it's point being that nobody can say what they'd do in any given situation - to say so simply isn't realistic

perhaps saying "this is how I'd like it to come down....." wouldn't sound so John Wayneish
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
I swear I remember this conversation before. Most of us are adult enough to know that no plan survives enemy contact. However, that doesn't mean DON'T HAVE A PLAN.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........."