Author Topic: ..new mower..  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: ..new mower..
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
I've got a John Deere self propelled walk-behind mower that I've had for many years (model JX75) - I can't remember ever having it in for repair and it starts, 1st pull, every time

as a side note, with reference to the zero-turn Spartan that I "bragged" about starting this thread - it's the biggest piece of (expensive) crap that I've ever owned - it's been in the shop more than it's been at the property

latest has been 2 episodes of it's automatic choke staying engaged and this morning the s.o.b. wouldn't start (full battery charge) - and - the annunciator is telling me that it needs an oil change - just had that done !!!!!

will talk with the seller of this p.o.s. manana (Monday) and see about trading it in on a Bad Boy mower
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
I need a new walk behind.  Too many options and it's hard to tell who makes what any more.

In addition to Tango's suggestion, I'd also recommend looking at a(n older model) commercial duty Snapper self-propelled walk-behind mower. I can't vouch for the newer Briggs & Stratton stuff because IDK how their quality is these days, but I know their commercial duty line -- with its strut-reinforced frame, beefed up steel deck, and steel hub wheels  -- run laps around the junk they have in the garden centers of Wal-Mart and probably even Home Depot. We bought one second-hand from a pawn shop about 15 years ago for $145, and never once had to fully overhaul the engine, despite at one time having our own landscaping business in which we'd do 15-30 yards per month with them depending on the time of year (spring/summer being busiest).

The most we ever needed to do was the regular maintenance (oil changes, air filter cleanings, spark plug replacements, sometimes cleaning out insides with engine additives/sprays, sharpening the blades with angle grinders, etc.) and one of them is still our regular-use lawn mower to this day. Depending on your needs, you can get detachable add-ons like an ejection boot for tall grass, a bagging boot for leaves (best used with a suction blade), a standard mulching boot for regular duty, and probably others besides.

We've had to rework the carburetor about 4-5 times, but that's cake -- there's videos on how to do it on YouTube and I was able to do it myself with about $4 in parts and following a step by step guide in about 30 minutes.

Offline GasGuzzler

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »
Thanks.

As an automotive technician I should probably just rebuild my carb, replace the glazed propel belt (again), and sharpen the blade.  It runs fine but is hard to start.  It also puffs one small cloud of oil smoke on shut down....

May I will get a new one.

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
I think if I was looking for a walk behind, Id be looking at a honda.

The last water pump and generator I bought are both Honda. They actually didnt cost much more, but well worth it. The 2' water pump runs 6/7 hrs on a small tank of gas, ( less than 2 pints)  where the old chinese pump I had sucked gas like a pig, ( 2 hrs) on a larger tank ( about 3 pints)   of gas. The chinese junk also was hard to start, and a real bitch to prime to actually get it pumping.
I fire the Honda  up and just walk away and let it run out of gas whenever. Even then, the Honda starts second pull every time, and self primes the water pump. About 20 seconds it picks up the water and pumps like a champ. It also pumps MORE water at an idle than the chinese one did at 1/2 throttle.

My father IL also has a honda SP  mower,,only a couple years old. no bagger but a self mulcher,, Runs like a champ. Seems to me he paid about $300.

ALL Honda stuff also seems really QUIET compared to the competition.  My water pump & generator are so quiet I cant hardly hear them most of the time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:12:18 PM by DCD327 »
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline GasGuzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »
I was actually looking at Honda.  There are a couple face to face meetings I need to have to help decide.

Offline GasGuzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 06:33:05 AM »
Sorry for the high jack but yesterday I took the mower to work with me.  I cleaned it up really well removing all the clippings and leaves from all the nooks and crannies.  I removed about nine ounces of debris from the air filter.  I changed the oil and replaced the drive belt.  With the belt off I removed the glaze from the pulleys.  I lubed the cables and re-wrapped the padded grip.  I sharpened the blade with a hand file like the pioneer days.  First start at lunch time yesterday in three pulls instead of 13.  Took it home at quitting time and unloaded it....and it started first pull to mow neigbhor's yard.  Think I'll use that $600 for gun stuff instead of a new mower.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
no hijack here - the thread is about "mowers"

good that ya got yours "tuned"

as a side - my really really old weed eater (Echo) was running like crap - bogging down and could not get any workable RPM outta it - then I couldn't even get it started - it's been in for maintenance a number of time (I'm NOT a mechanic)

thought it's time for a new one - so, bought one but in the meantime I took the old guy to a new place (recommended to me by a neighbor) and they got it running like new - so, the new one sits in the shop, (un-used) and I've been using old yeller ever since

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Seems like most of the "new " stuff is built as a 1 year and throw away.

I luckily got a husqqvarna weed eater and chainsaw that are about 8 years old, and still run like champs. But their new stuff aint got the best reviews.

I needed a new leaf blower for cleaning my gutters last year. So I ask an amishman what small power equipment they were buying, he said They been buying all Hitachi stuff. Those guys really use and abuse their tools, so they seem to know what will stand the most abuse.

I got a new Hitachi cordless drill and leaf blower, and they are great. The drill will drive screws almost all day on one battery.

The leaf blower works & runs like a champ.

Which was a good thing, because the new Husqvarna leaf blowers had poor reviews.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline GasGuzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
I buy Echo 2-stroke tools and Makita cordless (I am an auto tech) so I guess I like the Japanese stuff.  My 5.0 Ah Li-Ion 18V Makita battery goes 6-10 weeks of every day use in a cordless impact between charges.  I have another mower test this weekend.

Offline Shield45

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Yard equipment ie blowers trimmers chain saws.
One brand only for me now.
Been through echos been through the other big box store crap that dont last 

ONLY BUY STIHL and ONLY use fresh NON ethanol or  trufuel type gas.

Stopped wasting money on the cheap crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
 :th_thicon_lol:

is there a "riding" version ?  (already have a good "walk-behind")

Offline GasGuzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 03:45:17 AM »
Echo is not cheap crap.  It's one half step down from Stihl at 2/3 the price.  Echo is not MTD-made.  Buy the premix oil and premium fuel in the sealed containers at the Home Depot, etc.  It's by far the best and least hassle although expensive.  Sorry you had back luck with Echo.  I have a trimmer, edger, blower, and chainsaw.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »

Echo is not cheap crap..

agree - Echo be good - I've had both my weedeater and blower for perhaps 20 years and they're still going strong (thanks to someone that knows how to work on them)

Offline Txhillbilly

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
I learned a long time ago to buy commercial lawn mowing equipment. It is well worth the price, and piece of mind knowing it will not fall apart like all the cheap box store crap being sold.

I have a 61" cut Ferris zero turn mower with a 26hp Kawasaki engine. This mower should last me the rest of my life and then some.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • .50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 Thrill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
I learned a long time ago to buy commercial lawn mowing equipment. ...

I'm thinking a goat might even be more reliable.

Offline GasGuzzler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 05:10:27 AM »
I learned a long time ago to buy commercial lawn mowing equipment. It is well worth the price, and piece of mind knowing it will not fall apart like all the cheap box store crap being sold.
Yes....I did my research the last time around and did OK despite buying a residential mower.  I've been a home owner for 18 years and this is only my second mower so I haven't had bad luck per se.

Offline DCD327

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »
I learned a long time ago to buy commercial lawn mowing equipment. ...

I'm thinking a goat might even be more reliable.

A  goat is fine,,,, IF,,, you want EVERYTHING on your property eaten and/or destroyed.

We had 2 for several years.

Asking for a goat is like asking for a toothache.  :facepalm:  :P

Offline K-Texas

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • 36th Generation Viking!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »
I mow 2 yards besides my own. I have a widow who lives on one side and a single-mom on the other, both next door neighbors. I live on a pretty large corner lot and have always used push mowers. For my efforts, my wife and I have an understanding that cold beer is req'd after mowing! Several years ago, she started getting concerned about me mowing it in its entirety. I was reluctant up until I knew that I could scheme a way to get cold beer twice, mowing it in halves.

I thought about a rider or 0-turn for this year and doing 3 lawns. My Shooting Partner suggested I look on the local facebook want-ads. Sure enough, a guy who runs a small engine repair shop had one listed. It's an older rebuilt Craftsman that originally had a 15.5 HP motor, and I knew there was something odd about the pics. Called him up and he told me that he had just put a 21 horse B&S V-Twin Intek on it! The hood will barely close, LOL! I went and bought it as soon as I got off the phone. The X-tra HP is something I need considering my size and it will be all good if I get a few years out of it considering what I paid for it buying in February.

I do like what I read about the Spartan's I didn't know about until reading this thread. And Kubota has some really well built 0-turn, riders up to full scale tractors. Not as expensive as that might sound considering the build quality. 42" is as big as I want for the mower, HP is the bigger concern and a 0-turn Kubota runs just over $4000. Plus they have their own financing.  :icon_wink:
Our Father, who ART in Heaven . . . 
The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
my Spartan "looks" like something the Israeli Army might buy - just wish it ran as well as they do ! 

it's back in the shop (as I type - 2 weeks this coming Monday) - have had lots of problem with it - couldn't get the cutting deck to lower (a number of times) - the PTO unit "fell off" (for Christ's sake) and now I believe it's an automatic choke problem, stays on when it's not 'sposed to, doesn't come on when it should ! - also the information annunciator says "change oil now" when it's been done just a couple of hours ago (twice because the dealership screwed up and changed it AGAIN !)

the dealership has had it more days than I have and I've got very few hours on it - how's that for a $6k machine - GRRRRRRRR

"if" I'd had known, I'd have gone with a Bad Boy (a "hindsight" sorta thing)