Author Topic: Talk to the police?  (Read 44692 times)

Offline Moby

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
  • deus vult
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to the police?
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
I was in Maritime LE in the coast guard.
While not as active or involved as Police officers we were taught in LE school to engage the suspect in conversation and eventually thye spill everything.  Guilty or not guilty.  The idea was to just keep them talking.
DON'T TALK!  Some folks even have a card they carry in their wallet that is handed to the police officer. 
Not so sure what I think of that.  Kind of makes it look like you were anticipating a shoot.

I think I would hand the cop my CHL, say I was forced to defend my life or the life of another.
I am shaken up over all of this and I want legal advice from an attorney before I answer any questions.
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classed as a superpower!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
Good post Moby

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
Great Vid!!
Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid!

Offline Blayglock

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:13 AM »
"Officer, I am the one that called you (makes hand gesture toward his chest). Thank God you are here. That man tried to MURDER me (points to dead body on the ground). I will be MORE than happy to answer ANY of your questions just as soon as my attorney gets here." that is verbatim what my favorite national instructor, John Farnam, former Chief of Police, teaches all of his students. I recommend his class to all serious practitioners of concealed carry.

I vote this.

Offline Ochotona

• Mail Orders Gun Supplies
  • Cats, beware of Mouse Guns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
Are the police allowed to interrogate your family members in order to gain "evidence" against you? If you tell your family, "DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE!" can you be charged with obstruction of justice???
Ochotona Princeps

Offline TXAZ

• Range Master
  • .50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 Thrill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »
Ditto on it ought to be required not just for CHL but also for every high school kid.

I work for a large agency you've all heard of (not as a LEO) and the stories and methods are interesting.  Once people start talking, sometimes you can't shut them up. And some are phenomenal at getting people to talk.

There is virtually NOTHING you can say at the time (other than 'I want him arrested' / description of bad guy), that will help you beyond being shook up and wanting to talk to your lawyer first.

The cop in the video was right, he is an Olympic level interrogator with few peers opposite at the table.

KYDMS! as one expert said (keep your dammmm mouth shut!)

Offline Jim in Houston

• Range Rat
  • Hunt upland birds, turkey, elk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
To supplement the video about not talking to the police, Massad Ayoob makes the point in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZXZMYyRl4 that there are some things you should tell the police in the case of a defensive shooting after you have called 911.  The 911 call establishes you as the victim.  In the call, identify yourself and describe your clothing so that the police will recognize you when they arrive.

When the police arrive:

1. Point out the perpetrator.  The guy lying on the ground I a pool of blood will look a lot like a victim to the police.
 2. Tell the police you will sign the complaint .  This further establishes you as the victim.
 3. Point out the evidence to the police - weapons, bullet casings, etc., which can disappear from the scene
 4. Point out the witnesses to the police; they may not remain in the area or may be joined by others, who did not witness the incident
 5. Advise the police that they will have your full cooperation in 24 hrs after you have met with your attorney.  You may still be arrested or detained.

I have Texas Law Shield and carry their card, which contains a statement to be read to the police officer.

Here is a related reference that reinforce the points made in the video: http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-handguns/after-a-shooting-what-to-reveal/
Life Member, TSRA; Endowment Member, NRA

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
‘Don’t Talk to the Police!’: Law Professor’s Lecture About the 5th Amendment Is Going Viral in the Wake of ‘Making a Murderer’ — Here’s Why

“It’s too easy, frankly, for the police to induce suspects into giving up their right to remain silent and talk,” he said on the podcast. “And it’s easier than it ought to be at trial for jurors to be duped or deceived into thinking that they ought to hold it against the defendant or suspect that he must be guilty of something if he chose to exercise his right to remain silent.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/01/19/dont-talk-to-the-police-law-professors-2008-lecture-about-the-5th-amendment-is-going-viral-in-the-wake-of-making-a-murderer-heres-why/

Offline MOS72G20

• Military
  • Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »

4. Point out the witnesses to the police; they may not remain in the area or may be joined by others, who did not witness the incident

Depending on the area you are in this may not help you much.

I was visiting friends in Houston which had a high hispanic population.  We witnessed a wreck that involved two cars.  One car hit the other and both ran off the road. There were about 3 people plus my friends and our wives that saw it happen.  One car was driven by an hispanic the other by a white guy. Cops arrive and by that time the "witnesses" has grown to at least a dozen maybe a few more.  The 3 people that saw it happen plus all the new "witnesses" said the white guy caused the accident.    One of my friends and I walk over to one of the officers and told them what we saw and also what our wives saw.  Officer smiled and agreed and said just by looking at the scene it was obvious what happened.  After talking to us one of the officers told the "witnesses" something in spanish and all of a sudden we were back to the three witnesses who also changed their story. 

Offline hisocietyhunter

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
  • Brad - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    • View Profile
    • WildlifeGrocery
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »
Wow! Great video and sound advice.
"Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammunition!"

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy