Author Topic: U.S. Army Picks the Sig Sauer P320 to Replace M9  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. Army Picks the Sig Sauer P320 to Replace M9
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
it's been almost 50 years since I Served (as an Infantry Officer) - I really don't give a damn who was chosen to supply the new Service pistol - means absolutely nothing to me, nothing.....
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
Same thing happened when the .mil dropped the 1911,
you can hardly find one anymore......

Offline busykngt

• Hits the Target
  • Ex-Army (former cannon cocker)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
I'm thinking they'll finally send all those old gov'mint 1911s over to CMP for disposal, now that they'll need the space for Beretta storage! ☝️

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk
GOA Lifemember/NRA Endowment member/TSRA/CMP

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
I'm thinking they'll finally send all those old gov'mint 1911s over to CMP for disposal, now that they'll need the space for Beretta storage! ☝️

a friend of my got one, years ago (CMP, perhaps ?).....(I think he said he paid $25 for it)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
To All,

TRUTH is that IF the 1911A1 pistols are in as bad of shape as the last ones that we had when I was the PM at Ft McCoy, WI, you would NOT want one. = WORN OUT is being too kind.
(JUNK is more correct. - Ours were so bad that I took them away from our MPs & DoD Police & issued everyone .38SPL  S&W revolvers/holsters, which were Korean War era but had been seldom fired.)

About 6 months later, the IG team ask us why we were using "those old revolvers" & I told them that the forty-fives were worn-out. - The COL then asked, "Why have you not sent them into DS/GS Maintenance?"
I said, "We were messaged that we were allowed to send ONE PER MONTH in & our supply has done that each month."
(The COL told me that he would "fix it" & about 30 days ;later we got authorization to "turn in" ALL of the 1911A1 pistols. - SOMETIMES an IG Team actually does something worthwhile.)

Our supply SGT sent them all "up the chain" for depot maintenance/repair & about 30 days later we were messaged that ALL of the 1911A1 were JUNKED due to being "un-repairable".
(When I rotated about 18 months later, we still had no M9 pistols.)

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
There is no way in hell Beretta will stop building the 92 anytime soon.   :th_thicon_idea:

Resale value might take a hit though, time will tell.
Like it or not, some people bought them because they are a very popular movie gun or because our military used em. now they are taking one of those reasons away.

I own 3 92s  so it would likely effect me too.

I own several as well. Bought my first 92F about 1989 when I got out of the Army.

I dont think this XM17 deal is just quite over yet.

It STILL has to be approved by congress, and that will mean it ALSO has to get approved by DOD.

Its very likely General Mathis will have a say.   So hard to tell where this might end up.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »
As for the new batch of CMP 1911's
Starting price is $1,000.00

I'm not interested.   

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
The 1911 A-1 that the U.S.Navy issued to me in 1968 was in good shape and working order.
2 years later I had to turn it in to the Armorer at Tan Son Nhut, it wouldn't cycle anymore.
They said it was completely worn out.  Looked up serial #, it was mfg in 1941. Think it went through more than me wearing it out.
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline busykngt

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
U.S. Army Picks the Sig Sauer P320 to Replace M9
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
I'm not interested.

I follow the CMP forum too and for what limited discussion they allow over there on the topic, that's the kind of price range I've been hearing too.  I suspect, like with most things  at CMP, they'll grade them and you'll find some of all grades.  I agree, probably the bulk of 'em will be "well used."  But that won't stop *some* collectors from paying top dollar!  It'll stop me.  I'd be interested in buying a reasonably priced "shooter".... but once ya get north of 600 or 700 bucks (YMMV), you can find better (new) commercial 1911s.  Of course, that won't make any sense to the guys who are after the "historical value" they supposedly represent. 
Now let's talk about the "historical value" of the Berettas going into storage!  (Ok, ok... that last comment was designed to make you "young guys" feel the tears... I mean, the years... just like us'ans that talk about the 1911s).  🤤

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
I'm not interested.

I follow the CMP forum too and for what limited discussion they allow over there on the topic, that's the kind of price range I've been hearing too.  I suspect, like with most things  at CMP, they'll grade them and you'll find some of all grades.  I agree, probably the bulk of 'em will be "well used."  But that won't stop *some* collectors from paying top dollar!  It'll stop me.  I'd be interested in buying a reasonably priced "shooter".... but once ya get north of 600 or 700 bucks (YMMV), you can find better (new) commercial 1911s.  Of course, that won't make any sense to the guys who are after the "historical value" they supposedly represent. 
Now let's talk about the "historical value" of the Berettas going into storage!  (Ok, ok... that last comment was designed to make you "young guys" feel the tears... I mean, the years... just like us'ans that talk about the 1911s).  🤤

From what I have read over at the CMP the 1K is going to be the low grade......

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 11:29:56 PM »

It STILL has to be approved by congress, and that will mean it ALSO has to get approved by DOD.

Its very likely General Mathis will have a say.   So hard to tell where this might end up.

Its a done deal..

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=fb3dfb4ce966d2b1b0e017377b27cc1b&_cview=1

Unless of course Congress defunds with their annual budget. Which seems unlikely given our current POTUS rhetoric about funding our military.

Offline DCD327

• Brass Hoarder
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 12:10:11 AM »

Its a done deal..

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=fb3dfb4ce966d2b1b0e017377b27cc1b&_cview=1

Unless of course Congress defunds with their annual budget. Which seems unlikely given our current POTUS rhetoric about funding our military.

Thats a " REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL". 

It still has to be approved by congress and DOD.

Its a long way from being a done deal IMO.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline busykngt

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
U.S. Army Picks the Sig Sauer P320 to Replace M9
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 01:24:46 AM »
DCD, you're welcome to believe as you wish but the IDIQ contract was awarded 19 January 2017 by the buying command at Picatinny Arsenal. No further government authorization is needed or required.  The only 'wiggle room' left now is for one (or more) of the competitors to issue a formal protest of the contract award.  And while this has been known to happen, in the overall scheme of defense contracting, it's fairly rare. (However, I did hear rumors that Glock may issue a protest...although, I'm not sure on what grounds). Any protest must be filed within a certain amount of time.  So, for all practical purposes, Tarosean is correct: it's a done deal.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
I hope it is a done deal.  Good lord, people need a new gun to hate.  And hate it they will.  Just wait.  Maybe the .gov wont cheap out on magazines this time.  Isn't the 320 the one that failed the FBI test?  "Miserably" as Vickers put it, iirc.  I think I remember that's what he "heard", not confirmed anywhere that I know of. 

Either way, this is a massive waste of tax payer money imho.  AND, we're talking about a striker fired, in a SERPA, being handed to 18 year old recruits?  As a friend of mine said, "They'd better start giving out tourniquets with the guns".  Lol.  If the resale value takes a hit maybe I'll be able to pick up another one, or two, for cheap.   :P
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline chriswinton

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
I just posted the same link on the firearms thread...OOOPS
I am the Christian, Bible and Gun clinging Deplorable that Obama warned you about!