Author Topic: Charging Grizzly killed with 9mm  (Read 10068 times)

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Charging Grizzly killed with 9mm
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:24:36 AM »
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

Impressive.Training, remaining calm and being confident in your marksmanship wins the day. Smallest pistol caliber I would take into grizzly country would be 44 mag or 45 LC.

Letter to Buffalo Bore:

Tim,

Two days ago I was guiding a couple from NY on a fishing trip and decided to pack my S&W 3954 pistol . When we were approaching the stream we bumped into a large boar who must have been sleeping as we were talking loud just so we wouldn't suprise one.  Over the past 33 years I have lived and guided here on the Alaska peninsula I have never had to kill a bear in defense of life but this bear was different. 

We were in thick brush and I was only 8 or 10 feet from the bear when he started growling and huffing.  I began yelling and it eventually ran  around, behind my two clients, into the brush.  But within 15 seconds it came charging back from the area behind us and popped out of the brush 10 feet from me !   I had the little S&W in my hands and was thinking I was probably going to have to shoot it but as it cleared the brush it headed toward my clients.  The man had enough sense to grab his wife and fall backwards into the tall grass.  The bear seemed to loose track of them, even though it was less than 3 feet away from them and it was highly agitated !  It then swung toward me, I was 6 or 8 feet away, and I fired the first shot into the area between the head and shoulder.  It growled and started wildly thrashing around, still basically on the feet of my clients. My next shot hit it in the shoulder and it began twisting and biting at the hits and I continued firing as fast as I could see vitals. Five shots later it turned into the brush and I hit it again and it twisted and fell 20 feet from us ! 

We hiked out and I flew back to camp to report the incident to F&G and pick up my daughter to go back and skin the bear for F&G.

You are the first person I  have told this story to as I haven't decided whether to write it up or not, or where, but thought you should know that your ammo WORKS.   We recovered 4 of the bullets and I took a photo of the back of the bear after the hide was removed that shows an entry on one side of the back and the tip of the bullet on the off side ...

Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Phil Grizzle

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:08:07 AM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Scipio Africanus

• Can Line Up The Sights
  • Cold War Relic
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Grizzly killed with 9mm
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

Impressive.Training, remaining calm and being confident in your marksmanship wins the day. Smallest pistol caliber I would take into grizzly country would be 44 mag or 45 LC.

The smallest pistol caliber I'd take into grizzly country would be something belt-fed and crew-served.  Love Buffalo Bore stuff.  I use their 158 gr. lead semi-Wad Cutter HP in non +P for an old snubby in .38 Spec. 
"Wherever you go, there you are."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
Puck-ker Factor!

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
IF I had to take on an angry/hungry Grizzly with a handgun, it would be with my 1927 S&W Brazilian, .45 Auto Rim with a 255 grain Keith lead bullet in front of 6 grains of Unique.

That said, I'd prefer  a max load of 000 buck out of my old pump-gun to keep him out of my lap.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
If I was in grizzly country, I'd have a 44 Ruger Alaskan, probably. I've always liked the way that gun looks, and would be a good caliber for that.

I did read a story a year or two back about someone taking out a bear with a 40 cal Glock. But I think he emptied the magazine into the bear.

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »
Saw a video of a guy on a snow mobile taking out a charging moose with a .40 cal glock.

Makes me think that multiple accurate shots can make up for handguns being relatively anemic.
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Ricochet

• Gun Show Attendee
  • Gun Shop Vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »
For me it would be hard to shoot backwards while I'm running away and trying to trip the other guy at the same time.  Just saying

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
For me it would be hard to shoot backwards while I'm running away and trying to trip the other guy at the same time.  Just saying

:th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
BEAR COUNTRY?????? Wouldn't be there!!!
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline satx78247

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • Retired Military Police, USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
To All,

Given the choice, I'd choke him on heel dust & toe gravel, retreating at TOP SPEED.

yours, satx
"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barret Travis, Lt. Col, comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24, 1836

Offline cbp210

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
This guy was totally lucky but then again he knew what he was doing. My uncle who was a rancher in Montana before he passed always had his Marlin 45-70 Lever rifle over any handgun. He told me that is what he had when doing his ranch rounds on the cattle in case grizzlies showed up. He never wanted to carry a handgun and only said they were a waste of time if a grizzly charges.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
This is just a horrible story.  :th_thicon_idea:  The magnum fanboys  will be just pulling their hair out and wringing their hands over a puny little worthless 9mm taking down a mad bear.    :bangheadonwall:

Thats just impossible.   :th_nuts:

Wash your mouth out with soap.  :P
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »
I'd prefer to have the odds on my side: Boomer, with Raufoss rounds. 

That would work. 

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »

Offline Countryside

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
Well, first I would strike my mostly manly pose which will most likely intimidate the bear into retreating.  If the bear did charge I would do a couple of backflips to give me some room, and then I would jump over the bear.  As I came down behind it I would grab it in a sleeper-hold and simply put it to sleep.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
Well, first I would strike my mostly manly pose which will most likely intimidate the bear into retreating.  If the bear did charge I would do a couple of backflips to give me some room, and then I would jump over the bear.  As I came down behind it I would grab it in a sleeper-hold and simply put it to sleep.
I'd pay to see that!  Let us know how that works out for ya'.

Offline Scipio Africanus

• Can Line Up The Sights
  • Cold War Relic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »
I'd pay to see that!  Let us know how that works out for ya'.

I usually get a real twist on 'em with the ol' Nr. 4 Chicken Wing move...
"Wherever you go, there you are."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Countryside

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 07:50:45 PM »
Not sure I'd want those parts of my body that close to its head....and teeth.